• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Isuzu engine swap

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of months ago a guy gave me a old Isuzu box truck that had been sitting awhile (said the brakes went out is why it was parked). My original plans was to use the box for storage and scrap the rest.
Fast forward to today. I’m out at the shed looking at my M715. About 3 years ago it wasn’t running right so I just parked it, thinking I would deal with it later. As life happens, it got put on the back burner and has just been sitting for 3 years. The old engine already burnt oil, and there is no telling what is wrong now, from the engine problem it had when I parked it, and sitting for 3 years.
Anyway, as I stand there looking at it, thinking about getting it back going, and thinking I’d like to just do an engine swap, and get rid of that problematic 230. Thinking about what I’d like to put in it, and really wanting a diesel, it hit me. I’ve already got the Diesel engine in that old Isuzu, I wonder how that would work?
Does anybody know anything about the Isuzu diesels? I don’t even know for sure what engine the box truck has in it, other than it is a diesel. If it looks like it would be a viable swap, I need to get the box truck to the house and see if I can get it running.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Photos of motor would help
I’ll have to get some. I haven’t even looked at the engine yet, because I wasn’t even thinking about it until today. The truck is still at the guy’s place where I got it. I’m going to go by there tomorrow and get some pics, and hopefully some info off a data plate. According to the research I’ve done this afternoon on the web, the model is likely a 4BD1T.

8madjack

I don't know a lot about them, but the isuzu diesels seem to be gaining in popularity with the 4bt swaps becoming more expensive and reasonable engines harder to find. The isuzu is supposed to be smoother operating engine and a good engine.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would that 4bd1t be the same as a 804a? Assuming the t is for turbo, 4 is 4 cylinder

snowtrac nome

the npr trucks had a 4 bd1 turbo engine in them with an automatic trans. The engines were like Subaru motors known for outlasting the trucks, they will run smoother than a 4 bt , they have a 3 gallon oil pan on them , the injection system is all mechanical and you can set them up to shut down with a pull cable like a duce. the best part about them is they tach out around 3500 rpm so it would work much better with the low gears of the m715 as I remember they aren't a hp king I think they are around 140 hp but much better torque than a gas motor. I feel it would be a good swap for a gas powered snow cat or a low geared truck like most mv's are.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went and looked at the truck today, it has the 4BD1T in it. I think I’m going to get it home and see if it runs. I was first hesitant to put a rice burner in the m715, but when you search around the little engine has rave reviews.

My original plan was to use a deuce transmission to mate to whatever engine I used, but the Isuzu is already coupled to a manual transmission. I looked all over to find out how many speeds but I didn’t see anything. The worst part about that trans is the shift tower is mounted to the underside of the cab, and uses some sort of convoluted linkage that goes from the shift tower to the trans. The trans just has shift rails.

The guy has also got a Iveco truck he said I could have also if I wanted. It has a Iveco 8060.25 engine. I can’t find much info about it, but I may pick it up too, just for the heck of it. It’s a 6 cylinder engine, suppo

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

A couple of months ago a guy gave me a old Isuzu box truck that had been sitting awhile (said the brakes went out is why it was parked). My original plans was to use the box for storage and scrap the rest.
Fast forward to today. I’m out at the shed looking at my M715. About 3 years ago it wasn’t running right so I just parked it, thinking I would deal with it later. As life happens, it got put on the back burner and has just been sitting for 3 years. The old engine already burnt oil, and there is no telling what is wrong now, from the engine problem it had when I parked it, and sitting for 3 years.
Anyway, as I stand there looking at it, thinking about getting it back going, and thinking I’d like to just do an engine swap, and get rid of that problematic 230. Thinking about what I’d like to put in it, and really wanting a diesel, it hit me. I’ve already got the Diesel engine in that old Isuzu, I wonder how that would work?
Does anybody know anything about the Isuzu diesels? I don’t even know for sure what engine the box truck has in it, other than it is a diesel. If it looks like it would be a viable swap, I need to get the box truck to the house and see if I can get it running.
April 9th, 2020.

If you do the engine change, at least try to find a good home for the old Tornado 6! They were a solid engine and we never had any issues with our M715 beyond the generator and the water pump..... I'm pretty sure there are M715 owners out there that could use the engine....

Cheers!

Kyle F. McGrogan

N.B. Hope the diesels are better designed then the Mazda 4 that was in my Chevrolet S10 from the factory...It croaked after rebuild at 120,000 miles.

michigandon

Used to be a company that made adapters to mate the 4BD1T and 4BD2T up to a NV4500 as well as other transmissions. Looks as though they've gone Tango Uniform. :???:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks