• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It lives!!! New motor!!

llong66

Well, I FINALLY got it started today! Over the last cpl of months I have been rebuilding a 6.5l turbo for my M1008 and today I finally got it fired up!! I ended up putting it back in NA for now, after all the $$ I spent, a chunk of it unexpected, I just didnt have the funds for the turbo exhaust from the est. I got. I have all of the parts, and this way over the winter I can rebuild the turbo and just instal it next spring.
My truck had a 6.5l repower when I got it, but it had LOTS of problems. It had been over heated at one time and when I got it, it had a cracked head, when I was replacing them I could see when it had been run hot, the #7 cyl had been scored pretty bad and had really low compression and lots of blow by so I wasnt even running on 8 cyl fully.
I bough a rebuild kit from Northern Auto Supply, it inc. new pistons, cam, lifters, also bought new rods, SCAT crank SSdiesel heads w/diamond pre cups. I had it magniflux of course, bored 0.03 over, and balanced, The machinist got the piston/rod assemblies to within 0.5 gr of each other. He said it would run like a sewing machine and it does! VERY smooth!!
My only concern is that the rt bank is smoking a lil at idle and when going down the road. It looks to be greyish/blueish smoke, I hope its just the rings seating, cant imagine what else it could be. The heads only have a few K on them.
When I got it ready to start, I had the GPs out and the inj. lines loose I cranked it over for a total of maybe a min min and a half and started getting fuel at the inj. I tightened them up, installed the GP and it fired right up, and I mean RIGHT up, maybe 15 sec of cranking! This was all with an elect, lift pump.
The difference between this motor and the original is really amazing with all 8 cyl working right, I cant imagine what the turbo is going to be like!
I want to thank every one who answered questions I had during the build, this site is awesome!!

southdave

I did about the same thing except I took 4 6.2 humve takeouts and built one to handel a turbo boost of 20psi head studs, griddle, coated piston and 4911 pump reduce the compression to 18:1 and ect.. it is good feeling get it moving and sucks second guesting everything, currently fitting up and HX35 turbo with intercooler. as for the cranking mine is doing the same. I thought maybe because I running only one Battery and manual GP or lower compression or combination. It might be the timing havnt bother tuning it as of yet..

Last edited:

llong66

Dave, I will try and get some pics tomorrow, right now it just looks like a nice clean NA 6.5l, I think I have a cpl of pics I snapped when I got the block back, etc, Ill look and see on those.

llong66

Sorry it took a little time, but here are a few pics.

home1.jpghome2.jpg
Fresh home from the mchine shop

paint1.jpgpistonsin.jpg

Painted and pistons installed

doghouse1.jpgdoghouse2.jpg

Waiting for the new motor

stand.jpg

On the stand, ready to drop in

clean intake.jpg

Turbo intake cleaned up

install2.jpginstall1.jpginstall3.jpg

Few shots of it installed