• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It started with a storm... MEP002A

MilSpecThree

It started with a storm....
D32EE20B-B242-4AA4-8E05-1395782B54F6.jpgB7DDE52B-8F6D-45CB-86A1-B77300460FE5.jpg93C18D1B-7C4B-4BB8-9C5A-E5F3B2C5B012.jpg4008FE4B-60BC-443E-9149-ECB6776BC184.jpg

As we wander through life, we often are influenced by many things outside our control, and this hurricane season got me thinking... do I have the right generator that will carry me through an extended power outage? As I considered the answer to that question, I took inventory of my current back up power assets.. solar panels on the roof, large battery bank, noisy 3,600 rpm big box 5,500 watt gasoline generator, big bulk tank of diesel for farm tractors, not bad, but could be better.

Then Irma hit. 4 days without grid power. Our solar needs sunshine to generate power (as if you didn’t know this already) and we had overcast days during the storm and the day after requiring that the gas generator run. We keep a good stock of full five gallon gas cans on hand for mowers, golf carts, chain saws, etc. but at a one gallon burn per hour we need to be judicious in our generator run times. So about 12 hours of runtime, divided up in a few hour segments throughout the day to charge the battery bank and run the well pump. Once we got sun, that runtime dropped to about 3 hours after dark to fully top off battery bank, and another few hours in the morning before the sun came up to keep all the refrigeration running. In 4 days we used 38 gallons of gasoline, and sure got tired of hearing that noisy thing run.

I had always planned on a generator shed with a diesel genset, this now was the prompt I needed to get that plan in action. I started searching online for diesel gens, and eventually stumbled onto Steel Soldiers.. oh man, here comes another storm! Green, Tan, and Camo! I devoured page after page of information, marveling at the incredible knowledge based on SS. Wow, y’all are some smart folks! I settled on a MEP-002A and started shopping! After a few week search, I found a SS member that had an immaculate 002 with M116A2 trailer and only 4 hours on the clock! I have no way of knowing if the hours are 100% accurate, but looking at the unit, it’s clean enough to eat off of. It had the spin on fuel and oil filter upgrades, and came with aux tank accessories. The SS member I purchased it from was a true gentleman and shared the history of the unit along with several great lessons on how to start and how maintain the unit. Lots of compelling reasons to purchase from a SS member for sure!

So a 13 hour round trip went smoothly (I know, I know.. it would have made a more interesting read if we had flat tires, locusts, hail, and pestilence) and the MEP-002A was at its new home on the farm. It’s still in my workshop, and I’m exercising and breaking it in based on the recommendations I’ve gained from everyone here! Next up, building a generator shed and permanently wiring into the system (our solar system use a Xantrex inverter/controller that has, auto-switching, generator input and anti islanding, along with an auto start, but for now, I think I’ll just start the gen manually). I’ll try and post a thread on construction of gen shed as it happens.

I’m planning on attending Georgia Rally, hope to meet some of you in person there.

Thanks for reading and for sharing all of your knowledge so willingly!

p.s. now I want a deuce, here comes another storm! (Anyone got a nice late model AF M35A2C they want to sell at a reasonable price?) :)

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It happens for a lot of folks... with a storm. Why do you think I'm here? :) Good to have you aboard.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is something addictive in CARC paint, its like they put cocaine in the paint or something.

I have not met anyone yet that only has 1.

NATCAD

That unit looks to be in good condition. Having never seend the 002A is the LOUD diesel stenciling factory? It sure would be hard to put benzene into it by mistake!!
What model is your xantrex? What kind of battery bank do you have (volts, number of cells, type of cell... )

Very nice to have it on the trailer and mobile in the yard in case of high water, or moving inside for maintenance, etc. The auto start would be nice to have.... but that is what your battery bank is for right??
I always thought autostart would be nice to have, but a little bit boring.

Chainbreaker

That is one nice MEP-002A! It has OEM paint with all original stenciling. It should serve you quite well!

Welcome aboard the SS MEP convoy!

MilSpecThree

@ NATCAD
The System is a Xantrex 6048 with three charge controllers and 6k in panels with a Trojan battery bank wired for 48 volts. I’ll post some pics and specs when I get home this weekend if you are interested.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yours also sounds a bit like my story. A tropical storm early last year left us without power for nearly a week, which prompted me to start looking. Found this site, and won my MEP803a at auction just before Hurricane Matthew came through (I picked up the generator while evacuating). We ended up staying through Irma, and my genny performed wonderfully during the storm, and for several days afterward until power came back on. The wife's loving CARC more and more.

Welcome to the group!!

steelypip

My MEP-002A was my introduction to owning things painted in olive drab. We still have it eight years later. It still works, and still powers the house in outages. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and has proved incredibly stout. Congratulations on a great find.

rustystud

Yes. I can see the "green virus" has infected you. Mine started with the purchase of a MEP-003. Soon they started multiplying. Now I have 8 generator units, three deuces, a CUCV, and a M105 trailer.
So far science has not found a cure for the "green virus" . So hang on. It is going to be a wild ride !

Last edited:

Bill W

Got my first generator right after hurricane Andrew ( Coleman 4kw ) from there I bought a 003A to which in 13yrs ( since Andrew ) I never had to use either, so when I moved out of Fla in 2005 I sold it to a buddy. After moving here to Ga I felt naked without one so I bought another 003A (W/ASK) and since have had to use it twice ( 77hrs), go figure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks