• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's been 3-1/2 years but now its finally worth it!

ctfjr

I thought it would be a snow or ice storm that would finally give me an opportunity to fire up the 003A for real.

Today it was 90 & super humid and the expected thunderboomers came through. Boy did they ever! This tree is right around the corner from our house and has been down for over 3 hours now. The only person there is a single fireman keeping everyone away. Because there are so many outages in Connecticut because of this storm it's going to be hours before they repair it.

The generator is working like a champ. Running at about 10% & when the 3 1st floor ac units are on it jumps to about 40%.

Color me happy!

Attachments

ageregunner

Being self sufficient is a really great feeling. Having a proven military generator ready to go on a moment's notice is very reassuring. My MEP-002 works great when called upon in power outages.

Chainbreaker

Thanks for sharing. At times we take our typical "easy electricity" too much for granted. There certainly are lots of scenarios that could leave us in the dark if not prepared.

Triple Jim

It's a great feeling to restore power with a generator during an outage. I wrote a step by step instruction sheet for our 003A, and my wife an kids have each practiced starting the generator and transferring power to the house, and then reversing the process to go back to commercial power. I was pleasantly surprised when I came home one day recently and heard the generator running. My wife had gotten it going by herself.

ctfjr

and a followup

When we went to bed last night the power was still out at 11 (from 3pm). Because I do daily home dialysis with a machine that needs power I just left the genny running all night. I just raised the thermostats on the other 2 zones so they wouldn't be calling for cooling & left our bedroom zone on 70. Enjoyed a good night's sleep in comfort even tho it was really warm & humid outside.

Turned it off at 7 this am - 17 hours of run time with about 8-1/2 gal of diesel

It's a keeper

Ray70

Awesome! The same storm was predicted to hit us last night as well, but we got off easy! Just a few heavy downpours, a little lightening and 5 minutes worth of these crazy up and way, way down brown-outs... Had the 002A's ready to go, but luckily didn't need them.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knowledge is power. You had the knowledge to acquire a MEP 003A, and now you got the power. Stay cool and be prepared for inquisitive neigbors. Hope you have plenty of fuel.

ctfjr

Now you have to tell the rest of use how to tune an 003A to use the fuel like an 002A.
lol- I guess the easy answer is load it to 10% capacity or less.

After the first 6 hours the only heavy load was our zone of ac (2 ton, high efficiency), that ran very infrequently. Most of the time after 9 the load was pretty insignificant.

turnkey

I got a used yanner gen set from Ebay...Had it gone over and hooked up to the house with all the right Cir Breakers and switch stuff.....Lost power from a storm for 8 days.....Just had to add fuel 2 times...total for all of it 21 gallons...We have well and septic...everyone else was without...great stuff...Good to be ready..Got a lot of the stuff from this site...Great going guys...

rustystud

My wife was really upset with me the day I bought the MEP-003a . Then we had a major outage for 8 days. I reminded her everyday by saying "wasn't it a good thing I bought that generator !!" . She hardly said a word when I bought two MEP-002a a year later !

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thunderstorms ran through today and knocked out the power. The MEP-003a has been purring along outside for the last couple of hours. Should be a couple more hours before main power is restored. No hurry. :D