• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its home!

hwcurtice

Today was the day!

I took just about everything, including the kitchen sink.
What I actually used? A few ZIP ties, the tire gauge, to check tire pressure, a bungie cord to tie the trailer power cord down, a pin in the surge brake, and the magnetic lights.

Only issue: the magnetic lights turned out to be cross wired, from the factory so that i couldn't drive with my headlights on and have brake and turn signals. Stopped at a trailer place and had them fix that.

I could not believe how easy the trailer pulled. Now for title and doing a little bit of work to it!

Attachments

mistaken1

Only issue: the magnetic lights turned out to be cross wired, from the factory so that i couldn't drive with my headlights on and have brake and turn signals. Stopped at a trailer place and had them fix that.
I had the same problem with my cheap HF magnetic lights. I tested before my first trailer pickup and found that little issues. I was able to change them in the workshop before heading out.

Oh ya, nice trailer.

Scarecrow1

I know it was a long time coming so all I can say is great job .....How was it to pull behind your truck? I am still wondering if my blazer is a bit to light to handle the weight ...But I still wanted the trailer even if I have to store it till I get something else to pull it with .....

hwcurtice

My Dakota really didn't have any problems. I have a V8 and Automatic. I did use the tow/haul button when going up a couple hills, just to help.

Do you have a full size Blazer or a S10 Blazer?

I'm going to put airbags on my truck to level the trailer out. I'm also going to try and get a hitch modified to bring the tongue up a little as well.

Now, where can I get the NATO plug for easier plug in? Someone here as the best set up I've ever seen. I almost want to hire him to make me one.

I do plan on changing the rear lights to LEDs.

So, what are the thoughts about changing the surge brake system out to electric?
Pros? Cons?

wikallen

Yep, My Harbor freight lights were wired wrong as well. Brakes and Lights were swapped. I tested them out before I used them so I easily rewired them in my garage.

Scarecrow1

Mine is an s10 V6 Vortex ..I know I have the power but it may be light in the weight class ...I have a class 3 hitch with a 4 inch riser on the pintle . I think it should be ok so long as I dont over load it . I have hauled 220 board feet of 5 quarter red oak before with the blazer and it performed great ....So long as you didn't have to stop to fast ...I plan on leaving the original lights for now Will keep the 24 volt set up for when I pick up the Deuce next year .. I will rig another set of 12 volt on the temporary set up ...Sorry to hear of no spare I hope mine may have one as a bonus but I dont think it will either...Thanks for the info ......;)

Scarecrow1

Katahdin your my hero..... lol Now you are to say the least a man who isn't affaid of a challenge .. thanks that makes me feel better now I have about 4 hundred miles to pull it back ....

Katahdin

Ha! An empty M101 really isn't much challenge for a good running 6 cylinder. I do know my limits and since the 1200lb M101A2 was within the 2K tow capacity of the wrangler I figured why not. It really was an easy tow. I kept it 60-65 mph and even managed to pass a few people. Your blazer should be able to pull up to 5K safely.

I've also owned a 96' S10 Blazer with the Vortec and successfully pulled a 6x12 foot U-Haul trailer loaded with all of my belongings from North VA to Maine without any problems. Just remember to take the tranny out of overdrive after you hitch up. The M101 should be wider then the blazer which will make it really easy to see in the mirrors and keep it between the lines.

Like Mr. Curtice here bring along more then you need. On my recovery I used a length of chain to attach the trailer to the hitch (the one on the trailer won't reach) and wire to secure the magnetic lights and plate. Since I didn't have a spare I carried fix-a-flat, tire slime, and an air compressor, plus all the tools and grease to get into the bearings. I figured I could unhitch and get bearings at a local auto parts store if I needed to.

Incidentally I was pulled over by the base police for speeding on that recovery (25 in a 20, I was watching the trailer in the mirrors, not my speedometer). The officer let me go with a warning and didn't question my tow capabilities, just square away the chains and lights and make everything look safe and you shouldn't have any issues.
Good luck on your recovery. :beer:

Last edited: