• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Its not a 350 diesel!

PAm1009

How many people try telling you that the 6.2 is a converted 350 diesel which its NOT! Ive been on my second argument coming from guys that say they know diesels the one guy even drives a 6.5. Im sick of wasting my breath trying to explain myslef to somebody who says they know diesel engines. Im no diesel tech nor expert but facts dont lie. Sorry about the rant but i had to do a little venting. Thanks all

dstang97

If it is a converted 350 then that means they have never seen a SBC.... They look nothing alike and share no same parts even bolts.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get that all the time with my 6.5 ....last time i checked a 350 was 5.7l it gets old realy fast

Yup. I tell them the 5.7 vs 6.2 difference and that usually shuts them up. Its kinda funny the first 10 times but it has lost its humor now.
On a separate note I just saw Dogheads "posted from my cable tv remote" Sig line, I just spit soda everywhere.:razz:

Tanner

Amateurs.

You've not even begun to see the depths of diesel ignorance until some yokel tries to tell you that the 6.X series are actually converted Cadillac gas blocks...

I've heard this on a number of occasions from those that are diesel ignorant, but opted to let them continue on their path of thinking, as I didn't want to stoop down to achieve their level of stupidity.

'Tanner'

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

itsunday25

The 5.7 diesel is the oldsmobile 350 converted to a diesel i had one in my first 1500 truck i got off my pap. Just saying i went to haul sum dirt broke crankshaft.

Iceman3005

in 80 or 81 can't remember they did convert the 350 to a diesel till 83 but it didn't go over very well, so they went back to the drawing board and came up with the 6.2 in 84. The earlier versions barely made it of the show room floor without breaking (the 350 version)!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some facts. The Olds 350 diesel was produced from 78-85. The 6.2 entered production in the 82 model year. The 350 diesel blocks were always a diesel block but it shared nearly every dimension with the gassers and thats why it's called converted. The headbolt pattern was poorly suited for diesel compression and the chief cause of failure. The 6.2 was a GM design assisted by Detroit which was a wholly owned subsidiary at the time.

jrobinson5093

Yea I get this a lot with my deuce. I get older people telling me how they drove them when they were in the service and how they were unstopable. Then some usually ask me what kinda motor is in it. They say is it a cummins I say no a herculies. They go a what I never heard of that all the one we ever had were cummins. You just cant tell some people. And I can assure you a m35a2 is stopable. I learned very quick that some people are drives some are operators. only the operaters know the difference.

wayne pick

I worked for a guy back in the early 80s that had a diesel Caprice classic estate wagon. Beautiful car, with leather and all power options. It would blow black soot like a 6-71 with a blower that's ready to take a dump. Three cranks, three motors. end of story.

rronning84

I used to get that too for my 6.2 I have in my Chevy truck. I don't get it back home anymore though. I kinda got a reputation for destroying peoples ego's for bringing it up.