• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

J Pipe Woes

mangus580

Well, it was only a matter of time... Fired up the deuce last night, and I thought it seemed rather loud...

Walked around to the passenger side, and saw exhaust blowing out of the J pipe. It seems that the J-pipe has about a 2" wide x 4" tall hole in it now! :shock: The pipe has been repaired before, so its no suprise to me. I guess I am in the market for a new one, unfortunatly, it has to be low budget. Otherwise, I would by a nice stainless one from Saturn. Anyone have any leads?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just get some mud, j-b weld, etc.

Aluminum foil and duct tape works well.

houdel

I did it the hard, but maybe cheaper way, I bought a couple of 3-1/2" OD by 3-1/2" ID elbows, a 3-1/2" ID x 3-1/2" ID connector and a fistfull of 3-1/2" ID muffler clamps. The elbows were about $30 each, the connector was about $12 and the clamps were a couple of bucks each.

First step was to mark up the old pipe to where I wanted to cut it off. You can see in picture 1-1 where I used a sharpie pen to mark the beginning and end each portion of curved pipe, and a second mark to indicate where the end of new elbow would line up with the existing pipe, along with centerline measurements to make sure the new elbows would be in the proper location to match the existing pipe contours. I used a 3-1/2 radiator hose clamp on the old pipe to make a smooth, even mark.

Pic 1-2 is one elbow, the connector, and the exhaust pipe clamps. After I got the defective pipe cut out, I decided I also had to replace the elbow coming down from the engine, so I made another trip to the parts store for a second elbow and another clamp. The second elbow is not shown in this pic.

After fitting the new parts alongside the old pipe, I remarked the existing J pipe with a red sharpie to indicate the bottom of the socket of the new parts, as shown in pic 1-3. Better to cut off too little than too much, if need be I could cut a little more of the old pipe off to get a better fit.

Pic 1-4 is the old pipe cut off, still haven't cut the second elbow off yet.

Pic 1-5 is the first elbow and connecter in place for a trial fit. This is when I realized I needed to replace the other elbow.

Since I was going through all this work, I decided to wire brush to old pipes down to bare metal and paint with high temp black exhaust paint. Pic 1-6 shows the two pieces of the old J pipe which I reused, prepped for painting.

Pic 1-7 is the completed repair with all parts installed and painted. I think it looks pretty good. If I had to do it all over again, I'd spend the extra money for the flat strap type of pipe clamps instead of the traditional round rod and saddle type of clamp. The flat strap clamps would be much LESS noticeable than he traditional clamps and seal better to boot. I just might change them out anyhow.

Well, did I save any money or not? I figure I've got about $90 dollars in parts and paint, cheaper that the $200+ Saturn stainless steel pipe. Sam Wiener gets $135 plus shipping for a new steel J pipe, so I guess I saved a LITTLE money and had some fun working on the Deuce. Was it worth it, I guess its up to your individual circumstances. At least if I have another rust through it will be in the lower connector, which will be a lot easier and cheaper to fix.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found the 3.5", 90's and 45's are available in auto-parts stores that sell Walker exhaust systems or components. The elbows sell for around 25-30 bucks each.

mangus580

Lee, once you bought the 2 elbows, and all your parts, you had about enough in it, to buy a NOS one from Saturn! (not the stainless) :)

houdel

When I started this project I thought I could get by with just one elbow and the connector, which was pretty reasonable. It wasn't until I got the rusted out pipe cut off that I could see pinholes in the back side of the elbow, since I had already gone that far I just bought another elbow and clamp. Saturn only lists the stainless J pipe in their on line catalog, had I known they had regular steel pipes I might have gone that way. As it stands, I still saved about $45 plus shipping; and if I ever have another rust-through it will probably be in the connector in the bottom which is only $12 to replace. I do use a cut off 2 liter pop bottle as a rain cap, so I doubt I'll have any more problems anyhow.

ah1955

Lee real nice clean looking job, think you are right that band clamps would give it an even smoother and cleaner look, there are two different types one has a step to one side, we use this type on flex pipe to ridge and the other is just a flat band we use this one at a ridge to ridge joint, just the way we do in our shop I have heard different oppions.
I have the same job to do and I was kicking around the idea of repairing mine, the only price I saw was the SS at Saturn which was out of my price range, SS would be nice but!!!!
I have a local vender for exhust parts at a very good price, only thing I was thinking about was welding the pipes together, after the bad elbow is cut out I think I'm into good solid metal and the welds could be ground smooth to paint.
If I can get away with one elbow and a short piece of pipe should keep cost down to jusafie my time, after all I don't bill to much for my time(at least to me)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks