• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

J10 plug on 003A

justacitizen

can someone confirm for me that the J10 plug on the lower control box on an 003a is the two wires that carry 24 VDC to the generator to excite the generator?

justacitizen

what kind of wire do they use

I have an MEP 003A that has been sitting in the corner for a number of years that i got running yesterday. the problem i have found is at plug J 10 the plug between the output box has two wires separated on the inside of the plug. i need some wire so i can cut the plug out of the harness and reconnect the two wires. my question is what kind of wire are these harness made of? is it stainless steel? where can i purchase some so i can complete the job?

Thanks

Triple Jim

It's tinned copper, with the size shown as part of the wire number. It wouldn't be stainless steel, because of that material's poor conductivity.

I'm sorry, but I don't know where you can buy wire with the same jacket as the original. I don't bother, but use good quality PVC jacketed wire when I need a piece somewhere.

justacitizen

MEP 003A exciter

on my 003A in the lower output box there is a J 12 connector that has two wire going to the exciter in the gen end. inside the box the two wires were broken loose at the connector and i need to know what wire corresponds to the other wire on the other side of the connector. the wires are numbered on the inside of the box but the two that enter the gen end arent labeled. these are the wires that excite the field when the switch is held in the start position. can anyone with a schematic help? aua

Guyfang

Staff member
J-12

Doesn't matter, one way or the other. But if you want, look inside the J-12. The pins are marked. A & B

F1 connects to J-12A.
F2 connects to J-12B.
J-12A connects to wire number P67B16
J-12B connects to wire number P60G16

Why don't you have a schematic? They are all uploaded in the SS Technical Manual section.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
6145-00-284-0657 WIRE,ELECTRICAL: 8 AWG,WHITE FT VM5086/2-8-9 (81349)
6145-00-578-7514 WIRE,ELECTRICAL: 12 AWG,WHITE A,C FT VM5086/2-12-9 (81349)
6145-00-578-6605 WIRE,ELECTRICAL: 16 AWG,WHITE FT VM5086/2-16-9 (81349)

The last two number on a wire number is the wire size. The above listed wire types are aircraft grade wire, normally used in gen sets. Like Triple Jim stated, you can also use a good quality PVC jacketed wire.

When looking for items in the TM like wire, first look for a wire harness. Then, if you look at the SMR Code, (Source, Maintenance, Repair code). You will notice that the parts listing shows no NSN for most wire harnesses. The first two letters of the SMR code are MF. That means the item is not normally stocked, and you have to manufacture it yourself. All parts needed to manufacture the wire harness are then listed below. Aircraft grade wire is available. Kinda expensive, but it's GREAT stuff.

Why not try repairing the wires? Its kinda a PITA, but at the end of the day, a better repair. You have to remove the wire harness, restrip the wire, heat the back side of the pin and remover the broken off wires. Then just reverse the process. Unse some good past on the wire ends and pin ends. You can even slip on a piece of heat shrink to ensure the pins will not arc out/short out. If the wires are a tad too short, then maybe cut a wire tie or two.

Triple Jim

Right. I just looked at the schematic, and J10 carries power from the main generator to the rest of the system. Do you have a copy of the schematic? The best one I've found is on page 39 of the PDF file TM5-6115-585-34.pdf

justacitizen

Thanks! my schematic didn't have the info that the A-B were identified in the plug and i didn't want to wire anything in reverse. now when i reconnected them and checked for voltage at the pins i have 24 vdc when the start switch is engaged but no excitement on the generator. what do you think the problem is now?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged the 3 threads, please use one(this one) all inclusive thread for best results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks