• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jack

FreightTrain

Banned
I want a jack to throw in the deuce that will allow me to safely lift the truck on soft ground in case I am off roading and cut a tire.Can't seam to find anything that will allow me to lift the truck,have enough foot print,short enough in case of flat,and not need a freaking fork lift to move!

JDToumanian

That one from Northern looks pretty good. I got mine from Harbor Freight, it was cheaper... $19.99 on sale - they're almost always on sale...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93378

I ground off the word 'China', disassembled it and stripped the orange paint, primed and painted it OD. Looks good now!

Ditto on the piece of wood - I've got a 18 inch long piece of 8x8 in my tool box.

Regards,
Jon

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same Harbor Freight one as Jon above...I like the idea of strip and paint...gonna do that!

rmgill

I carry around 10 pieces of wood, some from boards, some from an old door I took apart for the wood. Useful for jacking and bracing when jacking. Especially if you need to jack on uneven ground. I also have some brake backing plates that are round and wide which allow for a solid base for either the jack or for some jack stands that I carry. Easy to put down and widen the footprint for a jack.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Will Wagner posted the military jacking plates I was going to mention.

I have a long pressure treated 2" x 10" that I cut up into roughly 2' long sections to use as needed.

I have one of these nifty air-over-hydraulic bottle jacks from Northern......I hook it up to the gladhand, but it can be pumped up manually if you do not have any air available.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200305257_200305257

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do any of you guys carry jack stands too? I usually don't trust hydraulics alone at home. I guess for changing a tire though you don't have to get under the truck as much.

westfolk

I go with the jacks and wood like everyone else. Jack stands are ok on good ground. If I have to keep it in the air "for sure" I put railroad ties that are cut to 2' lengths under it. Works in pretty much any situation, good or bad ground conditions.

ONTOS66

Using a jack stand in conjunction with your jack is ALWAYS the correct procedure. Now, having said that, when I change tires on disabled cars on the highway in the rain, snow, etc. I don't use them - cause I want to get the job done QUICKLY before some brain dead clown talking on a cell phone mistakes my warning lights for the drive thru window at Drunk'n Donuts.

Safety first, last and always ... except when you are in a hurry. If you don't believe me ask 3 fingered Joe the carpenter. :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have 6 and 12 ton jackstands I use at home, although when changing a single tire, I only use the jack, as stated above. I stay out from under the vehicle when doing so, for obvious reasons. If any part of me is going to be under the vehicle, it gets some kind of secondary (jack stand, wood, etc.) holding device.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a cheap 5000LB roll-around floor jack from wal-mart. soon as the axle is high enough, I put in the jack stand.

Outdoorbum

I use a High Lift stick jack, bottle jacks and blocks of wood. The High Lift is there for extra security and mud use. I use 4x4 and 6x6 blocks of wood that I collect at construction sites.

FreightTrain

Banned
which high lift do you use?All the ones I find are a little light weight for my liking.how much weight is actually on the front end of these things?Can't be light with that much engine,body,frame,winch,etc.

Outdoorbum

You are right on the Hi Lift, they are on the light side. I merely use to get the bumper and frame to begin moving so I can get access to under the frames or axles. I also use these to prop up a bumper to lift a tire to "drive" over the jack. Just old school 4 Wheeler who feels like the Hi Lift must always accompany me off road (hard habit to break)! I also use these as a security measure when I am changing a tire. I put the Hi Lift under the bumper, this gives me a few seconds of time if something fails and the deuce shifts.

houdel

According to the data plates I have on hand, the load on the front end is 5700# wo/w, 6450# w/w. Since you are only jacking up one side the load on the jack will be 50%-75% of the front axle loading, so your jack is lifting 3000#-4500#. A 12-20 ton jack is probably overkill even for the rear axles at full load, but that is what most of the HD bottle jacks are rated for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks