• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

January thaw sparta/Ft. McCoy recovery

camp9

Seeing there is a cold and warm recover thread going here thought I'd add a January thaw one to the list. We picked up our M931A2 yesterday in a balmy 39f rainy/icy day at Ft. McCoy. Seth got us signed in and helped with getting the truck and trailer ready to go. Had some fixing to do to the soft top and rear window with some gorilla tape. Fuel tanks were full to the top, added power service and headed back for the 300 mile trip to the UP. When we left yesterday morning it was snowing hard, ran into ice and by the time we got to the Wisconsin border had turned to all rain. By the time we got to McCoy there were a few patches of blue sky showing through, we left and followed the tail of the storm all the way home. When we got home my wife told me we were under a ice advisory for after midnight, so it really worked out good getting warm temps, no snow or ice and dry roads to drive home. Here's a few pictures

Attachments

camp9

Here are some more pics I got this morning. Found PM work recorded on the inside door? The truck use to be desert camo, and there is a lot of this very very fine dust in the engine compartment and other areas of the truck. Makes me wonder if it spent time in Kuwait or Iraq. IMG_2453.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2455.jpg

chadande

Sweet! At least that MEP and AC unit put some weight right over the rears.
I wonder if a guy could fit bigger tires on any of those trailers that use the old 5 ton split ring rims? Maybe 395s or even 1400s?

camp9

Yep, that was the shortest trailer I've ever pulled with a tractor. I'm use to looking out the mirrors at a 53' van :) I was thinking about other tires too. Yes, there the old split, what I call dayton or spoke, rims. I was thinking 395's as a possibility too. What surprised me was how tall that trailer was over the 5th wheel. I measured it and I was right at 13' 3".

camp9

Do you plan to use that trailer for its intended purpose? A guy could keep a lot of beers cold in there!
We farm for a living and I think I can use to to store some of the fruit short term. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep it on the trailer or not. Lots of ideas running through my head. Once I get the genset running and then see if the refer works, I'll know more what and how I'm going to use it. Maybe I can be requested at some of the rallies to store beer and supplies as needed through the summer. :beer:

camp9

Nice truck. I was wondering if you could let me know what MWOs those 6 are on the door jam. My truck only has three and I should do the missing ones I guess. Thanks
I'd be glad too. We got a snow storm going now so tomorrow I'll get the #'s and post them after I plow everything out.

bill2444

That is a darn nice looking truck. How much oil are you going to charge me for a ride in that!
Unfortunatley my wife has baned me from emailing you now, since I keep telling her that I have to have one now too.............

camp9

That is a darn nice looking truck. How much oil are you going to charge me for a ride in that!
Unfortunatley my wife has baned me from emailing you now, since I keep telling her that I have to have one now too.............
Ya right, you can take it for a ride anytime you want. Maybe you should take your wife for a ride in it, she might change her mind. :tank:

Last edited:

camp9

Nice truck. I was wondering if you could let me know what MWOs those 6 are on the door jam. My truck only has three and I should do the missing ones I guess. Thanks
Here's the tag #'s 27223-1 august 10, 272-205, 272-55-1 august 00, 272-20-8, 272-20-7, 272-24-1. The one's with out dates all had "UKN" and all look like they were done at the same time. I have no idea what the updates were or how to fine out. I'll have to do a search here and fine out. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My older, short, 6-ton and 12-ton trailers have deuce rim tires on them (I guess because they were made for the deuce tractors), which accentuates the trailer slant when my 5-ton tractors pull them. I haven't hooked them up to the super singled tractor yet, but I suspect they will look similar to yours. You did good if the fridge unit works.

grunex125

Haha....brings back fond memories of my trip out of fort McCoy........ only difference..... I couldn't see the highway around my truck when I was driving the chase vehicle home.....all black smoke!!! lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks