• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JBLM M109A3 w/w recovery-SUCCESS!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the stories I like to hear. A man who knows what he wants and with a little faith, and good old fortitude, gets what he wanted. You sir..have a very very nice 109.

btw...your new name is "Mr. Mailbags" compared to "Mr. Money-Bags" lol! rofl

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome truck and it could not go to a owner more appreciative. Thanks for posting and for the "kiss" photo. You dared to pose for what we all have on our minds!

Rick

gunboy1656

Maybe it's my eyesight, but it looks like the hood is a replacement. Looking at the black color on the cab and side plate, then the black on the hood. I would not worry about it.

Very nice truck, hope to find one like that.

AZDeuce

Great story God blessed you good with that truck, may it fulfill your needs, and be a low maintenance vehicle! Enjoy! Your brother in Christ, and all things MV.

wsucougarx

Thanks John, I don't doubt the fuel is original. It is a nice golden color that smells nothing like diesel. It got me home OK. Need to drain that tank and clean her up.

wsucougarx

Thanks for the input and compliments gentlemen but the big guy made this possible. And the name of the truck reflects this. Here's the stencil I made up for the newest acquisition:
LOL, as you can see I made good use of the those donation wanted free address labels you get in the mail.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Items acquired and ready to be added:

M109A3/M185A3 Shop Van Multi-Fuel heater
Air-O-Matic
Manual Windshield Washer
R-246a/VRC
VIC-1 Intercom System
Hardtop (exchanging with '86)
Dual Dash Gun rack
Aux. 50 Gallon fuel tank
Bumper steps (s)
Air Tank Drain Kit ( 3 drains)
900 series 5 ton hood handle
Low Air Pressure Warning Light
Aux Cab lights (thanks Dan-AN/ARC186)
Jerry Can Holders for rear mudflaps
Various Antenna Mounts
Ladder for topside
Military Infrared Lights

Items to be added later:

Hardtop Roof Rack (Zout style)
Fresh Water Storage Tank
Military Style Bunk Bed Setup (shipboard style)
Van Marine Battery Bank for Radios
Generator
Main Battery Shutoff Switch
Various Storage Racks

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Yikes, the oil on the dipstick seemed a bit high when I went to recover the truck. I thought it was maybe a gallon over the 5 gallon capacity. Boy was I ever wrong. I decided I would drain off a little of the crankcase oil because the color indicated it was just changed not so long ago. I decided to drain the rearmost compartment of the oil pain. Thinking only a gallon would come out...it kept coming....5 gallons to be exact. In disbelief I decided to just drain the entire crankcase. Well, 10 gallons later she was drained. Not sure who did the previous oil change but someone was asleep at their post. Oil pressure read a steady 40 all the way home and at idle. Hmmmm, anything else I need to look at? Do you guys think any damage could have occurred? I only drove it 60 miles but who knows how many miles were driven with too much oil. Please advise

armytruck63

Are you sure there is not diesel fuel mixed with the oil? Does it seem especially thin? Just a thought.

If someone really put 10 gallons of oil in this truck, they really blew it.

wsucougarx

You know, I got thinking about fuel mixing with the crankcase oil. However, the oil has absolutely no Diesel smell what so ever. Seemed a bit too coincidental to have exactly 10 gallons in the crankcase. The oil level on the dipstick was the same upon recovery and after driving it 60 miles home.

goldneagle

Nice truck! I am glad you don't have to go through all the repair work I have done to my truck! One thing we have in common is a brand new engine! Mine had 88 hours on it at pickup time.

wsucougarx

Outstanding! The only thing about a low hour truck like mine is several rubber parts need to be replaced. I've got a few seals that decided to let go:-0. Oh well, it's a labor of love.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks