• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep NP 242 in a M998?

kfrosty

I broke a drive shaft and towing it out, put a hole in the transfer case.

I've got some others in vehicles I'm going to do restores on down the road but looking for other ways to get this fixed as I drive this one.

Looking on epay, I see some Jeep 242's that look pretty similiar? Has anybody ever used one to go into a Hmmwv? I'm wondering if I can just get one and replace use the case if the internals are actually different.

Or if they are pretty much the same and maybe swap out the cones or such?

Thanks

President Camacho

how'd you do that? Have you found any other weak points on this vehicle? I heard talking with some prior military that the half shafts go easily. Don't want to derail your search but very curious. Good luck. Wish I could help.

kfrosty

Just trying to get up a hill of mulch. I hope the driveshaft had a prior problem as easy as it broke. It was dark and wanted to get it out. I should have left it and came back and took the drive shaft before pulling it up the hill.

Last edited:

kfrosty

he said he broke a driveshaft (propshaft), not an axle.
I would stick with the humvee t/c.
Do you have specifics as to why? Again if nothing else wouldn't the cases be the same? These things are $100 on ebay but you put Hmmwv on it and it's marked out 700%.

I'm looking for anybody that knows exactly the differences and again worse case can you just swap internals.

Thanks

Wire Fox

I know it'd be a pretty decent overhaul. I'm not an expert on it, but what I've read so far shows that a substantial amount of the internals are different. To start, it's designed to have a 2WD position. Part of how it accomodates that is by having a smaller drive chain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks