• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

jeep stops running during a drive.

Draco-87

I need some help on this one! I have a 64 cj-5, i know its not military but i figured you guys would know some thing about this.
The jeep has a rebuilt motor in it ( runs great) after about 15 miles it just stops! (no electrical to the engine) and it wont start back up. I have had it in the shop and had the wiring replaced in the engine compartment, and it comes back to life. Drove it today (fat dumb and happy) after 15 miles it lost electrical power to the engine again. the only mod to the engine is an alternator, every thing else is stock. Any input on this would be great![thumbzup]

MDSA

Coil - don't know how, but check your coil. Old coils get hot and stop working correctly. Or just go buy a new coil.

zout

^^^^^ just like them fellas said. Just got Debs in the UPS today for the same identical reason and hers was a new coil - but new stuff is man made and can take a crap whenever it wants to.

Draco-87

Thought of the coil also. going to buy a new one, But this will be the 3rd one for the same reason. Kind of wondering if the voltage reagulator was wired up wrong. and why the coil keeps going out? I,ll see what i can figure out this weekend and keep ya,ll posted.
Thanks for the info!

BillF

Do you have the correct resistor for the coil? Are you buying a coil that has an internal resistor? Is your jeep 12 volt buy they keep selling you a 6 volt coil?

zout

Just reinterating what Bill just said - get your meter out and start some ohm testing before you torch another one and before it starts getting cold and then your stuck out in BFE wishing you had checked it.

Bill W

Ditto on coil resistor.
Some vehicles use a coil with a internal ( built in ) resistor, some use a external ( ceramic ) resistor ( usually mounted on firewall ) and some use a resistor wire ( supply) lead.

zout

Draco - post a pic of your coil and wiring to it. I would even start verifying the correct coil is getting purchased and handed you over the counter.

smoke

You said it has a rebuilt engine in it. Did all the grounds go back on when it was replaced? There should be acouple. One that goes to the firewall one that goes to the frame. If you don't have a good ground you could be burn up ignition circuit because it back feeding lookin for a ground source.2cents

JGBallew

Thought of the coil also. going to buy a new one, But this will be the 3rd one for the same reason. Kind of wondering if the voltage reagulator was wired up wrong. and why the coil keeps going out? I,ll see what i can figure out this weekend and keep ya,ll posted.
Thanks for the info!

Theres an awful lot of just plain crappy repop coils out there. Had a M-37 in that went through three in a stretch. Stuff like badly soldered terminals to the entire top of the housing popping loose. So you can't always count on the replacement being "known good" just because it's new.

Draco-87

Update! replaced the original coil with a accel super coil, so far so good! the old coil was king of hot after running for about 5 miles. all the grounding straps are back on. Not crazy about the placement of the coil and resister, but hey the work was done for free. So if it stays good it will be time to start making it into an Isreali jeep.

Attachments

Draco-87

Ok. Jeep ran good all day, decided to put it into 4 low and put around in a field next to my house. Went 100 feet smelled gas :shock: and the engine died at the same time. I popped the hood and the passenger side of the engine is covered in gas. Seems to be leaking from under the carter carb. So i,m going to buy a rebuild kit for the carb. If i didn`t love this jeep i,d put a .45 slug into it! Some times you just have to step back and :deadhorse: lol!

saddamsnightmare

November 15th, 2012.

I would have pointed you to the coil also, as they often fail due to bad insulation and when they can seek out a ground (usually when warm), you're dead on the road. As to the carb problem, let me whisper one word in your ear "Ethanol". None of these vehicles were designed for even 10% ethanol in the fuel, and you are going to be replacing carb gaskets, rubber carb parts, rubber fuel lines, fuel pumps and even gas tank linings..... Ask me how I know, let's just say "Unimog". Most vehicles (old cars) that there are large numbers still running you can get silicone rubber rebuild items, for Unimogs, none! The Germans have yet to figure out why we loony Yanks are burning our corn liquor instead of drinking it!

Good luck on you Jeep problems....