• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeeperjoe's build thread

Jeeperjoe

I'm in complete agreement with you, for once. The first year I hit a yellow jacket (the ground dwelling ones) nest with the weed whacker I looked like the Michelin man for a few weeks afterwards. Learned that one could either become immune, or get allergic, as a result.
The next year, after hitting another nest with the weed whacker, I found out that I got allergic. After that I had to carry an epipen...and decided to let a hired crew clear the weeds from then on.
And for what it's worth, wasps like gray colored phone terminal boxes, too. You'll never guess how I know.
Yeah the grey ground pedestals I know the love those I open at least the a week with a nest inside I've learned to use my feet to open and I kick the **** out of peds before I open them and Arial terms I hit them with the ladder or a set of layup sticks before climbing

Anyways back on subject belts squealing yeah

Another Ahab

you know i swear they put those things on earth just to mess with humans, did you know they have a venom that effects humans worse than any other creature, and they dont create anything worth a thing... what are they really for if not to mess with me, in the phone company we have these pole mounted terminals (20' in the air mind you) of course the designers made them black so they attract heat and you know what wasps love more than anything? HEAT like why in the **** did they make them black jeebus Okay :Soapbox: rant over
It's okay, it's okay; you're the Champ...a quick breather now, and then get back IN there!

ABC.jpg

Jeeperjoe

well got out there and checked for alignment this is the best photo i could obtain, the belt looks straights and the alignment looks good for all pulleys from what i can tell
20170311_125653.jpg

on a bright note i re-tightened the alternator 2 times and it appears that my squeal is gone so hopefully i just didnt have it tight enough, i was able to move the alternator about another inch in the bracket...

so just for giggles and ****s i checked at the batts for charging voltage and now im reading 18v i have to have a bad mutimeter thats all it could be...

what wires are attached to the pass alternator? i have 2 large red wires one from pass alt location to alt 2, one from alt 1 to bussbar, and there is a small orange fused link also attached to the positive lug of the pass alternator (anyone know where this goes?) and then of course i have the alternator plug (cleaned and greased) attached to the alternator plug... im going to look further into the wiring schematic to see if i can figure out what that third wire goes to.

the only alternator in the truck (in alt 2 location) is a non isolated ground alternator so it shouldnt need a ground strap as it should be grounded through the body of the alternator.

Jeeperjoe

Also check inside the v-channels for rust, even a little bit can cause belt slippage, especially in a vehicle that may have sat for long periods of time. A piece of sandpaper wrapped around the end of a pen or marker will get in there to allow you to remove the rust.
i will get that cleaned up as my next step if the squealing returns, as for now it seems to be better

gen 2 wiring.jpg
this is the wire that is in question where does this go? i can not make out the verbiage on the diagram i circled it in red

Jeeperjoe

well i re read the roscommon conversion and found that the FD had missed some steps now were back down to 15.0v (at least on my questionable multimeter) charging voltage and everything that is supposed to be insulated and tied back is, the only step that i have not done is ground strap the pass alt, that will be done asap but no squeal anymore everything is verified correct so now i can truly move on in this build out...

according to the roscommon conversion that wire is to be removed during the walk through... starter actuates and turns just fine, as soon as it is warm and nice i still plan to pull the starter to verify its 12v as when this truck is cold its not exactly an easy start but im almost 100% positive ive got at least some bad glowplugs

Last edited:

Jeeperjoe

New load of parts ordered... hopefully should have them in mid week hopefully they are the "facelift" that im looking for... got a set of front blackout lights in this past week as well, so now im sitting on more parts to install. i really hope we get some kind of warm spell soon, nothing worse than working on a truck in the cold in a parking lot

Jeeperjoe

well i couldnt wait for tomorrow with this box o parts sitting here... so here's 1/3 of what was in the box :D

Before
20170315_165528.jpg20170315_165534.jpg

After
20170315_172532.jpg20170315_172522.jpg

they may not be made in usa but man are they shiny, tomorrow ill install the next 1/3rd of what was in the box, the rest will have to wait until i can source my heater core brackets as im not going to put in new hoses just to tear it apart again later this spring... i also found that my interior and exterior heater ducts are loose, another good reason as to why i have no heat... also found my radiator is pretty loose how currently mounted, may dig into that tomorrow. also getting ready to order a new harmonic balancer as why not its a pretty known issue in these trucks so may as well fix it before it breaks...

Jeeperjoe

so got to the other 1/3rd of that package this afternoon, installed both front marker lenses
before
20170316_123422.jpg20170316_123630.jpg
After
20170316_123801.jpg20170316_123811.jpg
I did notice it looks like both front fenders have been finessed by brush and or trees, and or other trucks who knows...
20170316_123803.jpg20170316_123814.jpg

well new bulbs in all markers turn signals tail lights and reverse lights finished today with sylvania silverstars and dialectric grease so hopefully many years of trouble free service...

Looked into the funky drivers front turn signal operation, both the outside fender marker and drivers turn signal are dim when the headlights are on and blink dimly only when the headlights are on, and the marker light doesnt work at all when the headlights are on. looked at the wiring it appears that the front turn signal wiring has been spliced and the marker light just goes straight to the firewall plug, ill tear apart the wiring for the front turn signal on the drivers side and check the connections / voltage on the wires see if there is a short or a ground... but that may wait until later today or next weekend we shall see

as for the final third that will wait for heatercore brackets and whatnot before i yank the duct work out again, i may just disco the heater hoses for the summer depending on how the weather acts over the next month or so we will see

Jeeperjoe

well i pulled out the front blackout lights out that i received the other day and one is not serviceable in its current condition so i had to remove it from the bracket as my brackets are missing so ive got one okay front and one bad front... so i ordered a set of 4 new blackout lights for $30 2 fronts and 2 rears and they will arrive sometime next week but i was able to get 2 good condition brackets and wiring for front blackout lights out of the deal so im okay with that.

Kwheely

Awesome thread man. Been keeping me interested. I just got my m1009 early February and I wish I could be moving as fast on it as you are on your 08. Keep it up!

Jeeperjoe

Awesome thread man. Been keeping me interested. I just got my m1009 early February and I wish I could be moving as fast on it as you are on your 08. Keep it up!
Its all came down to the right timing, sold my car pulled a personal loan and I'm paid pretty well as a phone guy, and I had started a 2 week vacation the day I got the truck so it was VERY easy for me to spend time working on it, also my wife likes the truck so that helps...

Im glad I can inspire to any extent as I bumble my way through the truck lol half of this stuff is free or $20 repairs so I can't complain...

Jeeperjoe

Small update just changed the oil yesterday 44730 miles and removed the leaking oil sampling valve...

Bright news I have ordered 2 heater core retaining brackets and my set of brand new NOS front and rear blackout lights arrived today as well as my spyderco paramilitary 2 knife so I'd say today is a good day I'll post photos when I go to install the new lights

Jeeperjoe

still have the blackout lights (LOOK GREAT) sitting on the bench, heater core brackets came in today (need to be cleaned and painted) and i ordered a NOS headlight harness from Fleabay today so this weekend i should have an update so long as the weather shapes up... looks like possible rain tonight through saturday... we shall see

my current plans for saturday or sunday are as follows,

Clean and paint heater core brackets.
remove heater duct inside and out clean reseal and rebolt to firewall after installing new heater core brackets.
install new upper and lower heater hoses.
install new front and rear blackout lights.
look into installing some kind of insulation on the firewall to help keep some of the heat in
depending on time remaining i may bust out the orbital sander and start to get to work on the body, remove driver and passenger door panels repair as needed and regrease the window regulators and inspect condition of tracks and weather striping

all of this dependent on the weather of course.... god i miss having a garage big enough to work in

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks