• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeepsinker's M35A2 6BT Cummins swap ( pics and videos)

Jeepsinker

The 6BT is a great engine. Had one in a Dodge Pick-up but is too fussy about
fuel quality. Been thinking about a 6 cyclinder CAT of some sort.
What do you suggest?

Thanks
I ran this one on old nasty fryer oil, gear oil, diesel, and motor oil. You'll find the Cat engines will be a lot more picky about the fuel in practice, and more expensive to repair by a longshot.
Now, common rail 5.9L engines would certainly be more picky about fuel, but the 12 valve will burn anything the multifuel will other than straight gasoline.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't know ads like that were on there, but I also can't control what ads run.
I got YouTube premium a long time ago so no ads.
You can't hardly watch anything on there anymore without suffering through ads. I refuse to knowingly give Google a nickel of my money, so I'll keep suffering.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't hardly watch anything on there anymore without suffering through ads. I refuse to knowingly give Google a nickel of my money, so I'll keep suffering.
It's heresy on a small, ad-supported site like this to even mention this (I allow ads from here BTW except on my tablet), but, you might consider an adblocker for things like youtube...

V8srfun

The adds are allowed by the person that has the YouTube channel. Look at it like this jeepsinker gets a cut when you watch a add on his channel. His efforts are worth much more than the pain of watching the add.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm all for supporting jeepsinkers work - I'll happily disable it while watching his stuff now that I know that. I certainly never got any ad revenue sharing for any of the stuff I had posted in the past...

V8srfun

It isn't super easy to meet the criteria for monetizing your videos. Took a long time for me.
I think some guys are hesitant to monetize because they think people will not watch because of the adds. I am saying I don’t mind watching the add because I know how much effort goes in to the channel. Your videos are very helpful to the community.

for those of you that do not understand how YouTube works it helps grow a channel when you subscribe like and comment. This causes the algorithm to suggest the videos to a larger audience. Let’s all say thank you for jeepsinkers efforts by supporting his Channel.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeepsinker...Tactical Repair....videos are also helpful because otherwise I would think the stupid things only happen to me. I like the honesty of the videos. Quick job, pulling an old Deuce from spot A to spot B in the yard. Sink the wrecker. Can't get out because front driveshaft came out for repair but never went back in....use winch....controls frozen.....climb underneath, un-freeze controls...use invisible buddy to drive pickup truck to pull off stuck winch cable. Eventually get wrecker unstuck and Deuce moved.

I go...uh huh!! Never works as planned! All the little things conspire to go get you.

Dipstick

Jeep....I am insanely jealous of your covered workspace and all the room you have! Looks like the Cummins install is going splendidly too! I can tell you do first rate work. Dip.

Dipstick

I hope I'm not off topic here, but I read a few posts in which some of the soldiers suggested other engine swap possibilities. Jeepsinker has done a ton of fine work here and the amount of labor he's put into it is huge. I'm too old and have too much else to do to put that much effort into a conversion myself. I don't have the money either since I retired. I have always thought, that the most $$$ efficient way for me to gain more power in 4th and 5th gears on hills, would be to do an in frame overhaul using LDS liners, pistons, turbo and whatever else is required. I think with 180 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque, Brutus would do much better on the hills around here. Would Jeep and anyone else be willing to give me their input and knowledge on this idea?

V8srfun

I hope I'm not off topic here, but I read a few posts in which some of the soldiers suggested other engine swap possibilities. Jeepsinker has done a ton of fine work here and the amount of labor he's put into it is huge. I'm too old and have too much else to do to put that much effort into a conversion myself. I don't have the money either since I retired. I have always thought, that the most $$$ efficient way for me to gain more power in 4th and 5th gears on hills, would be to do an in frame overhaul using LDS liners, pistons, turbo and whatever else is required. I think with 180 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque, Brutus would do much better on the hills around here. Would Jeep and anyone else be willing to give me their input and knowledge on this idea?
yes you would make reasonable gains with your idea but it is no comparison to the Cummins swap where torque is on demand and plentiful. It really boils down to what your expectations are and how much work you want to invest. But if you were serious about investing in to all the components to (convert) your engine to a lds you may be further ahead buying a lds out of a part out and still having your engine as a backup.

Dipstick

Thank you V8! I think I would still go with an LDS component in frame. My engine only has 15,000 miles and 4,200 hours if I can believe the speedo and tach. I think I remember reading that an LDS has it's starter on the driver's side and there are other differences as well. Thanks for the information! Now
I'll leave this post alone so you guys can get back to Jeepsinker's swap without any distractions.

Jeepsinker

My swap has been done for about a year now. I've driven it plenty and I couldn't be more pleased with it.
Updating your current engine to the LDS specs will be an improvement, but not nearly like the Cummins swap. For the money and time you spend to update and overhaul your LDT, you can buy a used 6bt and swap it.
Yes, I've done a lot of work to mine, but most of it wasn't actually necessary to complete the swap. Most of it I just wanted to do while I had the truck apart.

Dipstick

Jeep, I agree with everything you said and I'm really glad to hear you've been finished and driving for a year. Way to see the job through! It's obvious that you did a first class job. I live in a residential neighborhood. I'm somewhat limited as to what I can do. The neighbors were very tolerant when I put new bearings, seals, and brakes on my front end last Summer. I don't have the kind of equipment to do a swap, but an in frame upgrade I could do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks