• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry can repairs

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if I came across that way, didn't mean it to sound rough.

I was talking to joeM62 and twright last week in GA, they had a source in Carrolton GA who had the plastic cans and they were $20 ea.

Just trying to show they are quite a few still out there.

Nonotagain

The Scepter cans are plastic and are rated for diesel, gasoline and water.

Scepters also go for close to $50 a pop.

The local Craigslist has 1 Jerry can advertised for $25 but it's 40 miles away.

I purchased a 12 pack of NATO cans from Coleman's a few years back, but since I'm hoarding fuel I'm almost out of cans.

Ridgerunner

Glenn,

I have a full bottle of KREEM "fuel tank liner" in my shop that I know that I'll never use. Your 1,100 miles away, so stopping by to pick it up is out of the question. So if you want it to try it out on your jerry cans, you can have it. Just cover shipping, and it's yours.

plym49

If you want to chemically take care of it, get a POR motorcycle tank repair kit. It works perfectly.

If you want to weld it, run diesel exhaust into the can. There will be no oxygen and you can use any type of open flame around it (US Army trick).

PeterD

... run diesel exhaust into the can. There will be no oxygen and you can use any type of open flame around it (US Army trick).
I do wish this old wife's tale would die. Diesel exhaust has a substantial amount of oxygen because a diesel is a lean burning engine (especially at idle.)

Gasoline exhaust contains CO (carbon-monoxide) which is just as bad, as it is a flammable gas (can burn) a fact that too many are unaware of.

If you want to purge fumes from a tank, use CO2, argon, nitrogen, or any of the noble gases. But don't use an engine's exhaust thinking it is either oxygen free, or non-flammable--because it is neither. aua

plym49

I do wish this old wife's tale would die. Diesel exhaust has a substantial amount of oxygen because a diesel is a lean burning engine (especially at idle.)

Gasoline exhaust contains CO (carbon-monoxide) which is just as bad, as it is a flammable gas (can burn) a fact that too many are unaware of.

If you want to purge fumes from a tank, use CO2, argon, nitrogen, or any of the noble gases. But don't use an engine's exhaust thinking it is either oxygen free, or non-flammable--because it is neither. aua
I dispute your cautionary statements, having done this many times, and having learned it while in the Service where the advice was also in a TM.

cjcottrill

I don't want to get in the purge argument, but I have braized a lot of small engine tanks with an exhaust gas purge. Probably not the smartest though. I picked up a good metal can at a local swap meet for $4.00 with no lid. 6 tables down I got a NOS lid w/gasket for 5 bucks. Sometimes the hunt is half the fun.

Blueduce

Glenn,

I have a full bottle of KREEM "fuel tank liner" in my shop that I know that I'll never use. Your 1,100 miles away, so stopping by to pick it up is out of the question. So if you want it to try it out on your jerry cans, you can have it. Just cover shipping, and it's yours.
Ridgerunner to the rescue once again. Thanks again old friend. In case you don't have my address anymore I will PM you the info. Just let me know what the charge is to 75154.

Blueduce

I don't want to get in the purge argument, but I have braized a lot of small engine tanks with an exhaust gas purge. Probably not the smartest though. I picked up a good metal can at a local swap meet for $4.00 with no lid. 6 tables down I got a NOS lid w/gasket for 5 bucks. Sometimes the hunt is half the fun.

Agreed. I took the advice of hndersonj and found a fella with 3 cans on Craigslist just today.

robert c neth

Banned
buy a new can and use the old one for display on your vehicle or what ever.if some one steals it your not out much.the old can will just leak somewhere else and when you need it most it will fail.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember seeing a jerry can converted to a tool box. Found some by googling 'jerry can tool box'. Would require a little fabrication but a great idea for a tool box or other carrier of parts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My plan is to get some small pea sized gravel from the side of the road and toss that in there and shake it around.
If you have a tractor or another slow moving vehicle (you could even use the deuce going slow), tie the tank to the wheel after you fill it with gravel and go for a ride. It will be clean in no time. Just don't do this and drive down the road at high speed. :wink:

Blueduce

I remember seeing a jerry can converted to a tool box. Found some by googling 'jerry can tool box'. Would require a little fabrication but a great idea for a tool box or other carrier of parts.

Here;s the web site: www.[B]rampagejeepaccessories.com

A Jerry can turned into a tool box has got to be one if the coolest and most ingenious ideas I've ever seen.
You could do something a bit more basic ie: just hinge lid and uses it to store spare parts like radiator hoses and extra fan belts. This would keep everything in one piece and out of harms way. Or even an emergency medical / bug out kit that would always be with the truck and not take up space in the cab. I think where on to something here. I think I will bring it up at my next MVCC meeting and see if we have a member with a plasma cutter and some metalworking skills. See if we can get a prototype in a week or so.
[/B]

JH1

I have enough rusty jerry cans that I plan on using an old cement mixer to roll jerry cans, about half full of play sand. Make up some sort of Red Green style plywood contraption to temporarily mount on the open end of the mixer that I can strap jerry cans to. Let it roll overnight or however long it takes. Pour out, vacuum out, and immediately put POR in there and continue to roll for a bit to make sure it gets everywhere. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :doghead: Jim

Blueduce

Blueduce

I have enough rusty jerry cans that I plan on using an old cement mixer to roll jerry cans, about half full of play sand. Make up some sort of Red Green style plywood contraption to temporarily mount on the open end of the mixer that I can strap jerry cans to. Let it roll overnight or however long it takes. Pour out, vacuum out, and immediately put POR in there and continue to roll for a bit to make sure it gets everywhere. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :doghead: Jim

Let us know how it works out. Lot's of picks please. Especially to temp mount and B/A for inside cans if possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks