• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JLBM MEP-006A (PU-650B/G) Recovery Trip

Stalwart

I believe it is in the 426 CID displacement family that we used to use in track loaders in the 70's and early 80's. Gulp a bit of fuel they do!

wsucougarx

Before trying to start this genny up, I want to manually try and turn the crankshaft. Is this a counter clockwise rotating engine like a Deuce? I went to check the fuel filter canisters and noticed they are all empty. Looks like they didn't try to run her after they serviced her. That's good for me as I want to drain the fuel tank and put fresh diesel in there.

PeterD

My MEP-004 is clockwise, and the manual does mention that it is not a problem to rotate it either direction however. I use either a ratchet or breaker bar and a socket on the crank pulley, not difficult to turn it over.

Good idea on checking the engine to ensure it is not locked up... Mine was, possibly a blown head gasket, or a lot of rain in the exhaust pipe (the ASK's exhaust points straight up, so if the cover is not closed, it will get water in it...)

wsucougarx

Finally got around to doing a little work to her a few days ago. Managed to drain the 50 gallon tank out. Found about 3 gallons of water in the tank. Thinking it's probably from condensation through the years. The diesel was a nice yellow color that didn't smell like diesel. Oh well, currently burning the diesel in my '01 Dodge Cummins. She smokes a little bit more but haven't noticed any lack of power.
I have been reading all kinds of stories of seized up engines on military generators. This is one of the reasons I have waited to work on her. I dry fired her to find everything appears to be moving freely....whew!!! She tried to start. There was a little white smoking coming out of the exhaust. Now I will try and clean out the fuel tank. Once I do that I'll take her down and get some off-road diesel and throw in her.
Any pointers on what a guy could do to clean the tank out? I don't want to pay out the ear to have her dipped or steamed out commercially. Just want to do the best I can in the convenience of my backyard;-) Thinking of pouring about 5 gallons of kerosene in her, drain it, filter out the kerosen and repeat.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Scott, with the deuce tank I just removed them. I put a strong degreasing agent in the tank with water and six handfuls of small smooth river rock. Then just agitated the heck out of the tank to loosen any rust or garbage. Then I did a final rinse with water/alchohol mix. Then let dry. On this genny I would like to keep her mounted in place as it looks pretty involved. May end up taking her out though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks