• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

John Tennis AKA JATonka

1958 M274

I have a M35A2 that already had John's spin on oil filter adapter kit when I acquired the truck. It started to leak a little from between the original filter base and one of the adapters when it was really cold out side, but would stop after the truck ran for a few minutes and warmed up. When I got the truck I didn't get any paperwork about the adapter kit, so I called John to ask him what the torque spec was. He was very friendly on the phone, provided me with the information I requested, as well as a few part numbers for the gaskets and oil filters. He also asked for my address, and said he was going to send me two replacement gaskets and the information sheet he includes with the kit.

I ordered some filters locally, the gaskets and information sheet arrived on Friday, and I fixed it yesterday morning.

He provided excellent customer service, and I haven't even purchased anything from him! Thanks John!

vtdeucedriver

John is top notch![thumbzup] Known John for years now and its always been a great time. Ever since I finally bought the M-127 from him and with such a good time that I had going to go get it. Having Becky and her friend show up for a cookout (THANKS AGAIN BECKY) Ive been trying to figure what I can drag out of there next.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you put the gaskets in dry. I use some good stuff I get from the marine Merc dealer that is nodrying and have had no problems on his filters.

1958 M274

Did you put the gaskets in dry. I use some good stuff I get from the marine Merc dealer that is nodrying and have had no problems on his filters.
Yes, I put them on dry. That came up in our conversation and John specifically said to put them on dry.

I usually put a little of the appropriate type sealer or gasket adhesive on when assembling parts, but I figured I'd give this a try dry as suggested, and so far so good!

When I disassembled the adapters they were not very tight. Since I didn't originally install them myself, I don't know how tight they were tightened. Honestly I think I could have snugged them up to the proper 60ft/lb and it probably would have been good.

I bought a set of John's spin on oil filter adapters a few years ago for my personal M35a2c and 5k miles later still no leaks. Ditto to your comments about John- very friendly on the phone and he has a great product.

Andy

Marcel

John was the first MV guy that I met and he was very knowledgeable and friendly. A pleasure to speak with and he sells great products as well.

Carl_in_NH

All my dealings with John have proven him to be a top-notch person with great products, be they new or surplus items. I wish everyone was as easy to deal with and as much of a stand-up guy as John is.

saddamsnightmare

MArch 1st, 2012.

Ditto on John Tennis and George Kivett.... I've dealt much more with the Kivetts, and they were always quick to get my needed parts out to repair a very much loved and babied everyday working deuce.... KUDOS, Gents!![thumbzup]

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the pleasure to meet John yesterday at his AO. I told him my reason for visiting was to purchase 2 complete filter kits for my trucks, but really I wanted to meet him and have a look at his operations.

It was a wonderful trip up the Mohawk River valley, and upon arrival I was impressed by John's collection and the ambitious projects he is undertaking. Walking around his yard, looking at the impressive collection of trucks, trailers and machinery, my OD envy was in full bloom!

John is an outstanding person and is clearly an enormous asset to our community. I'm thankful to have met him and regard him as a leading statesmen within our community. I heartily recommend using Jtonka as a resource for anything you may need.

Rick

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

MArch 1st, 2012.

Ditto on John Tennis and George Kivett.... I've dealt much more with the Kivetts, and they were always quick to get my needed parts out to repair a very much loved and babied everyday working deuce.... KUDOS, Gents!![thumbzup]
I second the motion on John Tennis and George Kivett. These are 2 guys I have had extremely positive dealings with. George took care of my part needs when my first Deuce ate up a liner and valves...John has always been an email or phone call away for expert answers to my questions. Both of them are very "MV hobby" oriented.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks