• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joined the club with an 18,000lb paperweight this week.

Crazyls2

Nah, just another member in the ranks of the EUC Waiting Army. 3 months and nary a flicker. Hoping to see something this fall, at least ... fingers crossed!
Mine took about 6 months as I recall. But on the bright side, that was 6 months that I didn't have a single mechanical failure and it didn't puke oil in my driveway a single time while waiting for the EUC

wandering neurons

Yes, that would be me, with the Civic SI seats in my M1081. I had to grind off the loops that bolted to the floor of the donor car and fab up some brackets from UniStrut, then bolt it on to the base where the original seat was. They look nice and are very comfortable. However, beware of in-seat airbags!
Yeah, I believe I remember a post where I guy got a couple seats out of Honda Civic SI for dirt cheap from the salvage yard that worked nicely. I figured, what the hell though, if I can get brand-new ones for cheap, might as well go for it!

themeec

Yes, that would be me, with the Civic SI seats in my M1081. I had to grind off the loops that bolted to the floor of the donor car and fab up some brackets from UniStrut, then bolt it on to the base where the original seat was. They look nice and are very comfortable. However, beware of in-seat airbags!
Nice! Yeah, one of the perks of the stock racing seats is simple hardware and no airbags/electrical to worry about. You use any of the aforementioned brands in any of your other builds?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes Sir... Prop their feet on the dash and of by freak chance the airbag goes off, there will be a pair of broken legs or ankles (or both).

Years have gone by, but teaching guys how to work on trucks (Old MV's") and getting their attention was always difficult. They would stick a finger through a hole between two pieces of frame - trying to align a bumper extension for example... Drop it, bump it with a hammer, of if the chainfall or whatever was supporting it slipped and that finger would be gone.

I found the way into their heads though. Explain that the better idea would be to stick their "short arm" in that hole and think about it a little more. Most of them always thought with the small head anyway - and that would generally wake them up!

Last edited:

wandering neurons

My Zombie Emergency Response Vehicle (the green truck in my pic) is a 1984 Suburban chassis with a Jurassic Truck T-Rex kit (defunct as of 2002). I put a set of similar seats in this vehicle as well. I'm familiar with racing seats, but wanted recline option without spending $$$. Used I think I paid maybe $150 per pair.
Nice! Yeah, one of the perks of the stock racing seats is simple hardware and no airbags/electrical to worry about. You use any of the aforementioned brands in any of your other builds?

wandering neurons

Somewhere there's a video of a female who'd propped her feet on the dash. Quick brake application popped her off the seat into the passenger floorboards, feet around her ears, and totally unable to extricate herself. That was only a minor brake application. An accident would have much worse, and airbags can cause double hip dislocation.
Hah, found the video: Stuck under dash

The ladies in our household have a habit, as car passengers, of putting their feet up on the dash.

I tell them:

" You know if (for any reason) the airbags go off in this car, you are likely NOT going to be happy"

MAN!

themeec

Had some spare time on my hands lately, and wanted to clean up some branch marks (hits its head on everything on our forest trails) and take care of the old auction paint pen markings on the cab.

Now, I KNOW I have come across some threads on the auction marks, but in my stupidity forgot to bookmark it, and now my search-fu appears to be weak ... anyone found an effective way of getting that stuff off CARC?

Another Ahab

I'm now the owner-in-waiting of a 1997 BAE Systems M1078. Non-runner with 2007 miles on it, so curious to see what got blown up in that short of a time period,

View attachment 768599
Yeah, how does the machine become a "non-runner" in 2,007 miles?

Was it maybe given to a command with the instructions:

- Run this into the ground...ASAP

What else can explain the status?!!!

Regardless: Nice rig! Real nice. Good Score!!

themeec

Yeah, how does the machine become a "non-runner" in 2,007 miles?

Was it maybe given to a command with the instructions:

- Run this into the ground...ASAP

What else can explain the status?!!!

Regardless: Nice rig! Real nice. Good Score!!
I think I have some more details further up in the thread, but it somehow wound up sitting to the point all the fluids had gelled, leading someone to fry the starter solenoid at some point in time trying to crank it. A degunk of the fuel tank/lines, flush of the oil, and new solenoid, and it's been running like a charm for the last several years!

themeec

Rig has been staying fine as frogs hair with some regular maintenance of all the fluids, whole lotta grease, and a few excursions as often as I can to keep things moving nicely, while I make some shop space for my far more problematic ventures in the bottom two pictures below.

Man, GM sure put together a simply built truck, but boy their wiring sucks. Woof.

IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0180.JPGIMG_0175.JPGIMG_0206.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks