• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joining the 5 ton club.

therooster2001

Amen to that too. My buddy just got one to sell and I'm dying to play with it, and caught myself actually considering that I "needed" one. And it's tan...

Anyway back to the OP, we live a bit apart but let me know if I can help you out.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it's excellent. I made it home fine. I swapped in two commercial batteries and now she starts fine. The truck does have some corrosion on the floors and in the battery box and the paint job looks terrible and is peeling. The ctis works, I think? Still figuring that out. My wife is glad it's an automatic but can't believe the size and is sort of intimidated by it. The truck is quite a bit bigger than what I'm used to workimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpging on. It was tight but I got that baby inside my shop!

some of my aquintances think I'm absolutely mad getting something like this but these military vehicles are just so awesome I don't understand why very body doesn't want one.

therooster2001

The ctis works, I think? Still figuring that out. The truck is quite a bit bigger than what I'm used to working on.
Glad to hear it's going well. The CTIS is a bit of a mystery at first. Lots of things that make it run, but there some excellent threads on here from some smart peeps, as you know. I still appreciate the CTIS honk every time it's ready to go. I still think it's worth the extra complexity. It's got cool factor too.

I hear ya about being bigger. I drive a MINI Cooper as a daily driver. It's another world when I get in the big guy.

Keep us posted!

therooster2001

And the battery box seems to be a problem with the Riley trucks. Check this one out. I think the batteries froze after years and spilled acid.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448945491.158606.jpg

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ctis honks?
ive got mine to blink on the highway mode. Flash 4 lights, 5 lights, blink in the various other modes when I pushed the button.

I was was wondering about the battery box, if it had its own floor. Thanks for posting that picture. It's time for me to prioritize the needed and wanted repairs and improvements.

mcmullag

The kinda goose honk noise or whatever, happens every 15 minutes in hwy mode when the system is working. It checks itself every 15 mins in hwy mode. You may have some air leaks. check out the 3 youtube videos from the army on the M939 series.
If you air up the tires to the same pressure all around with your shop air, all at 60, or all at 70 psi, see if you can get a solid hwy mode lite after pushing on that button on the controller.
The noise comes from those rubber bladder things sitting on top of the axles as the system lets out some air.

mcmullag

just a few more things. Some ctis systems work fine when the temp is 60 degrees and above as all the seals in the wheels and system can seal in air better when everything is warm. This manual from spicer may help http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXTS-0015.pdf
you can scroll down on the left and get to areas about number of different lites flashing and what that means.
I had a truck that had ctis mode lites flashing in winter but worked great in summer, just solid hwy mode lite.

therooster2001

Yup, you're looking for solid red at highway mode after it's done with checks and then when it goes from blink to solid ready...HONK! It never fails either that or the expello gets me when I'm under the truck or not expecting it. Glen (who posted above) has had several of these trucks and is a smart experienced dude and he's in the Springs. That PDF is actually a pretty good source of info in one spot, besides finding all the pieces all over in the TM's. I think we're both CTIS fans and have troubleshot some sort of issue. Once you get the list done, make sure you either have CTIS on and working or disconnected if you think there is a problem. A faulty CTIS can be frustrating to come and find all the tires flat. Leaks is the main culprit in that system, but sometimes components fail. CTIS can overcome some tire leak issues but air leaks should be near the top of the list of fixes. In the tire area, CTIS can help be the indicator to finding some of them. Brakes being the higher priority issue related to air IMO.

Your truck looked pretty complete from the pics, anything missing?

todds112

So how's the truck?
You seem to have a Mustang infestation there! Awesome! What I wouldn't give for a shop like that, let alone the contents!!

My gal is 5' with her hair done-up. She loves to drive the M923 (after I literally boost her up to get in).

Gotta love the "honk", especially when some poor unsuspecting sole is walking past or sitting next to her at a traffic light when it does it. They jump every time! It's even gotten me a few times:roll:.

Last edited:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, you're looking for solid red at highway mode after it's done with checks and then when it goes from blink to solid ready...HONK! It never fails either that or the expello gets me when I'm under the truck or not expecting it. Glen (who posted above) has had several of these trucks and is a smart experienced dude and he's in the Springs. That PDF is actually a pretty good source of info in one spot, besides finding all the pieces all over in the TM's. I think we're both CTIS fans and have troubleshot some sort of issue. Once you get the list done, make sure you either have CTIS on and working or disconnected if you think there is a problem. A faulty CTIS can be frustrating to come and find all the tires flat. Leaks is the main culprit in that system, but sometimes components fail. CTIS can overcome some tire leak issues but air leaks should be near the top of the list of fixes. In the tire area, CTIS can help be the indicator to finding some of them. Brakes being the higher priority issue related to air IMO.

Your truck looked pretty complete from the pics, anything missing?
So far i need a spare tire and chain hoist, a good drivers door and glass and a fuel cap. I have not heard and goose honks from the ctis. I think I'll bypass the ctis until I get the truck figured out. Multiple flats sounds like a huge bummer.

JohnnyBM931A2

So far i need a spare tire and chain hoist, a good drivers door and glass and a fuel cap. I have not heard and goose honks from the ctis. I think I'll bypass the ctis until I get the truck figured out. Multiple flats sounds like a huge bummer.
FYI there is a complete drivers side door on eBay right now.. I think the guy wants $200 + shipping. Heck of a deal in my opinion (I paid something like $400 w/shipping for a complete passenger door about 3 months ago.) I thought about snatching it up as a spare, but it sounds like you need it more than I do! There are also plenty of chain hoists on there. Most people want under $100 for them, and most are NOS. I'm sure one of the members on here has them as well. Spare tire should be fairly easy to find w/wheel, and the same goes for the gas cap. I think there is a member in the classifieds parting out some A2 trucks.. He could get you what you need, provided he hasn't sold those parts already.

Last edited:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI there is a complete drivers side door on eBay right now.. I think the guy wants $200 + shipping. Heck of a deal in my opinion (I paid something like $400 w/shipping for a complete passenger door about 3 months ago.) I thought about snatching it up as a spare, but it sounds like you need it more than I do! There are also plenty of chain hoists on there. Most people want under $100 for them, and most are NOS. I'm sure one of the members on here has them as well. Spare tire should be fairly easy to find w/wheel, and the same goes for the gas cap. I think there is a member in the classifieds parting out some A2 trucks.. He could get you what you need, provided he hasn't sold those parts already.
i recently joined a Facebook group (m925) some guys sell parts on there and post interesting stuff. I just landed an NOS left door. You guys should check it out.