• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Joining the 5 ton club.

MtnSnow

For the chain hoist hit your local Harbor freight and they have a 1 ton model (10 foot working distance) for 54.99 everyday but check your flyers as it is quite often found for under 40 bucks. They also have a 16 foot working distance 1 ton model for like 69 bucks every day and then they have 2, 3 & 5 ton models

dieseldash

Hey Coolcars another Colorado member here curious how the recovery from Kansas went. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting one back to CO if I bid on one of those KS trucks. Did you drive it out or haul it or have a trucking company haul it? I'm not sure how road worthy the rigs are coming off auction for a 500 mile trip? I have access to a low boy trailer and semi from my families farm up in ND but it's pain to drive up there and get the trailer then drive to Ft Riley then getting the low boy back to ND. Just hard to get that much time away from work/family. I know there's a bunch of info on recoveries on SS just curios how the trip to CO went for you.

therooster2001

I grabbed one extra chain hoist on a trip from Salina. Maybe able to help you out there. A trip out to see Glen in Salina might be worth the cheap gas to get those things. I went 4 times this year!

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Coolcars another Colorado member here curious how the recovery from Kansas went. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting one back to CO if I bid on one of those KS trucks. Did you drive it out or haul it or have a trucking company haul it? I'm not sure how road worthy the rigs are coming off auction for a 500 mile trip? I have access to a low boy trailer and semi from my families farm up in ND but it's pain to drive up there and get the trailer then drive to Ft Riley then getting the low boy back to ND. Just hard to get that much time away from work/family. I know there's a bunch of info on recoveries on SS just curios how the trip to CO went for you.
the on site rep is Brian, pm me for his phone number. Brian and cody were very helpful to me. They might give you some pointers AFTER you win and pay for a truck at ft riely. I went ready to do small repairs, fluids, tools ect. The truck was jump started and I drove it to fuel, checked it over, then drove home towing my cucv. I had some cash in case of emergency towing. I didn't need it. Getting a "runs when jumps" truck is the minimum if you are thinking of driving it. It's very risky and while doing my recovery I was pretty nervous. The truck is heavy, 20k plus. If towing a big trailer will be needed.

recovery is risky. If I could have found a truck local, and it matched my wants I would have preferred that route. All in all it was thrilling and nerve racking, if you can afford to take the risk it's a wild ride. If you can't afford the risk. buy local.

what kind of truck are you considering?

others helped me and it feels good to offer you some advice. Paying it forward.

thanks
terry

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military truck junkyard sounds like a blast! I have a mustang junkyard and it's fun too. I'd be happy to get a chainfall at the going rate from you. I just paid for a nos door, 100 percent complete. 400 bucks shipped. I'm really happy about that. Thank you for the help and support.

dieseldash

the on site rep is Brian, pm me for his phone number. Brian and cody were very helpful to me. They might give you some pointers AFTER you win and pay for a truck at ft riely. I went ready to do small repairs, fluids, tools ect. The truck was jump started and I drove it to fuel, checked it over, then drove home towing my cucv. I had some cash in case of emergency towing. I didn't need it. Getting a "runs when jumps" truck is the minimum if you are thinking of driving it. It's very risky and while doing my recovery I was pretty nervous. The truck is heavy, 20k plus. If towing a big trailer will be needed.

recovery is risky. If I could have found a truck local, and it matched my wants I would have preferred that route. All in all it was thrilling and nerve racking, if you can afford to take the risk it's a wild ride. If you can't afford the risk. buy local.

what kind of truck are you considering?

others helped me and it feels good to offer you some advice. Paying it forward.

thanks
terry
Thanks for the info. Looking at one of the A2 trucks with the 8.3 cummins mostly for the turbo power at altitude out here. I'm always up for a good adventure doing a recovery from one on auction. Kinda flirting with a M1078 LMTV also but these 5 tons are a whole lotta truck for the money. Nice looking rig btw. Saw your pics in your other recovery thread.

mcmullag

driving back recoveries are always a crapshoot. Been on about 5 of them from auction. on one the M936a2 would not keep running, needed fuel line replaced that was sucking air thru a pinhole. Helped a guy drive a M923a2 back here from Riley in August. Brought two new batteries, took out the 4 dead ones and rewired it to run on two and drove home, do not turn it off till you get home. truck was turned off at a truckstop and would not start. I hit the PCB on the firewall with something heavy and the truck started up.

therooster2001

Glen's is actually a salvage yard that he allows us to go in to pull, so if we don't get them, the crusher does. Check out the BFR metals thread for more info.

JohnnyBM931A2

I still can't believe that people scrap these things.. I understand that they can't all be good trucks that run and drive fine, but they still should be parted out and sold as such. I mean.. Steel scrap is like $20 per ton, right? So a complete truck will give 10 tons or so. $200? Probably $10,000 worth of parts on each truck. And the supply of these trucks isn't going to last forever...

therooster2001

The fact is he is parting out things. He buys them from the auctions just like we do, and allows us to come in to pull and buy at a massive discount. Someone has to buy the non runners. He has supplied tons of owners with parts and pieces that we would never be able to get. I know a lot of the used stuff on EBay is actually from his yard, that was picked up by members. He is open 6 days a week, and accommodates us sometimes all 7. I think Glen actually did more to preserve the hobby than given credit. Most yards don't allow anyone to come in. He sells the engines, as is overseas, most are non runners. He equipped the towns fire department's deuce transmission several times, and took it out of his personal one. The forest service regularly gets items from him, and even pulled an engine the last time I was there. He would a couple cabs to a member putting them together as a king cab. He is providing jobs to the tear down crew, a recycling of the equipment, and is a small business. I know we react in horror as it hits the crusher, but these aren't any different from any other military decommission. I know there are a lot of other salvage operations that do just as he does, and doesn't make it available to anyone. He is providing a valuable service to commercial, federal, and us hobbyists, and is making a living doing all 3, how cool is that? I bet there are a lot of deuce and 5-ton owners with Glen tires and components on them. I think you are uncomfortable with the urgency of the decom from the government. Deuces have been slaughtered for years...

therooster2001

And one last point, the NOS market competes directly with Glen. I was going to sell some Flasher units to people I got from Glen's, even you!, and I think people would prefer the NOS ones as the supply is out there, so the demand is not there even if we think there is. Think of all the time you'd have to spend pulling potentially bad equipment only to be beaten out by someone who bought a massive pile of NOS equipment and can sell them cheaper than the labor you put into it.

A tinge of a nerve here, as we've heard this bashing before, and if you've ever met Glen, you'd know that he is an absolute heck of a guy, and will absolutely bend over backwards for us. That's why I am fan and am on the cusp of being too much of a cheerleader, and getting the post banned for being too pro "vendor".

Rant off!

Back to Terry's stolen thread...

dieseldash

Hey Coolcars, have you got around to licenisng the 5 ton yet. I've been doing a bunch of research on what it takes to license one in CO. It sounds like some people are registering these as less than 26,000 Gvw but seems like it makes the truck kinda worthless being they weigh over 20k to begin with if you want to haul anything. I know on the older trucks guys are getting the collector plates but the 9xx series is too new. Any tips you or another Colorado member can give about getting one registered and the $$$$ the state tries to get from us? My insurance agent says it shouldn't be a problem getting it on our policy. If it's too much of a hassle in CO I might license it in ND. Thanks for all the help guys with these questions and for letting me hijack your thread. Trying to get a plan together before I bid on a truck!

therooster2001

I got rec plates, but that was after a 3 months hassle. The counties are a bit different in how they deal with it. Had to sign a non commercial affidavit, which was fine by me. About $300 a year, instead of $800! Check my threads on to be latest Colorado licensing...

mcmullag

like the rooster said, I also kregistred mine as recreational truck and signed an affidavit for the 5 tons that would not be used commercially.
Only one lady in the large DMV office I went to knew how to get the trucks thru the computer system. I told them I was using the trucks for parades and displays which was true. I used gulfway ins. for collectors, $220 a year but policy states just for going to and from events or when vehicle needs work or fuel.
My trucks usually just sat but I had fun restoring and painting them and getting everything show ready.
The MVCC has info on licensing www.mvcconline.org This year, the DMV wanted $170 for me to renew my plates for my 5 ton. I sold it instead to free up some funds. Hope this info helps folks.

Hanshaw20

Im from nebraska, i bought a 5 ton, the company i bought it from says they can get me a title for $150 but it is for "non highway use" well that makes it pretty worthless to me. Any help on how to go about this. I should mention that it was re built in 2006 by a company hired by the military. Now the v.i.n. Tag says rebuilt in 2006... So i dont know the original year.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Im from Nebraska, i bought a 5 ton, the company i bought it from says they can get me a title for $150 but it is for "non highway use" well that makes it pretty worthless to me. Any help on how to go about this. I should mention that it was re built in 2006 by a company hired by the military. Now the v.i.n. Tag says rebuilt in 2006... So i dont know the original year.
Which company did you buy it from? They may have got their wires crossed as the only off road title stuff that has been coming out is the HMMWV's. If you go to the 2016 vin thread and put the info in it should be able to give you the real year of the truck. The rebuild tag is usually a different tag than the original build tag, a picture of those tags will tell the story.
This is from another style of truck and has different data plates so don't be looking for these on your 5T, but should help to understand. It is a 83 rebuilt in 03
data.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks