• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump 5 ton( 4 batteries) to 5 ton(4 batteries)?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just want to make sure I'm not going to ruin anything, I tried starting one of my 5 tons, apparently the quick start system must have a leak somewhere, I can smell the ether but it didn't even twitch the NHC250. Now the batteries are pretty well drained. I can hook up my other 5 ton to it with jumpers positive to positive and negative to negative where they exit the battery compartment correct?

2nd question, anywhere i can pick up slave cables reasonable?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, provided that you hook the second battery + to the second battery + of the other truck, and similarly the negatives of the first battery in the series, you could jump it off with jumper cables. Just be 200% sure you're hooking to the correct terminals.

I'm sure there's some in the classifieds. I know ca1517 still had some salve ends if you wanted to make your own.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, provided that you hook the second battery + to the second battery + of the other truck, and similarly the negatives of the first battery in the series, you could jump it off with jumper cables. Just be 200% sure you're hooking to the correct terminals.

I'm sure there's some in the classifieds. I know ca1517 still had some salve ends if you wanted to make your own.
So I don't blow anything up, If I hook up both trucks at where the slave cable housing connections run to the batteries I would be alright?

mattyboy

yes that would work . you will have a **** of a time getting the fat aligator clips on jumper around outside terminal. same goes for the inner one. better to just jump battery to battery. i do this on occasion will my sterling civi truck. just go possitive to pos. and vice versa for neg.

mattyboy

forgot to add when you lift seat up you will see the slave plug wires leading to bateries just follow those!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the slave port cables and connect to the batteries where they are attached.

KsM715

yes that would work . you will have a **** of a time getting the fat aligator clips on jumper around outside terminal. same goes for the inner one. better to just jump battery to battery. i do this on occasion will my sterling civi truck. just go possitive to pos. and vice versa for neg.
Follow the slave port cables and connect to the batteries where they are attached.
I believe that's what he was asking. If you put the jumper cables on the same terminals the slave cables hook to you should be good. (As long as the last guy to put batteries in wired them in correctly). Use the heaviest jumper cables you can find. I've seen some pretty small gauge jumpers that I wouldn't trust jumping my lawnmower with.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you gentlemen! Hooked it up, cranked her over and she wouldn't kick off. Apparently I have a leak somewhere like I said with the cold start system, I can smell it but it isn't going to the motor. Got a can of ether, loosened up the intake canister and shot a couple second burst to the filter. cranked, kicked right over and got her running. In the meantime the exhaust was shooting right into the donor truck cab!!! LOL I couldn't even see to disconnect the jumpers. Of course with these vehicles you get one problem solved and two more pop up. 1rst, my front wheel drive isn't working, switch doesn't do a thing. 2nd noticed my air pressure relief valve popped off. Governor is not kicking off at 120 lbs now. Never had that problem before. More stuff to fix. Thanks you again guys

mattyboy

Well said I am always leary of wrenching on these big boys. Found that out building my bobbed. Take one intended part off end up replacing most of what it attached to. :)

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you gentlemen! Hooked it up, cranked her over and she wouldn't kick off. Apparently I have a leak somewhere like I said with the cold start system, I can smell it but it isn't going to the motor. Got a can of ether, loosened up the intake canister and shot a couple second burst to the filter. cranked, kicked right over and got her running. In the meantime the exhaust was shooting right into the donor truck cab!!! LOL I couldn't even see to disconnect the jumpers. Of course with these vehicles you get one problem solved and two more pop up. 1rst, my front wheel drive isn't working, switch doesn't do a thing. 2nd noticed my air pressure relief valve popped off. Governor is not kicking off at 120 lbs now. Never had that problem before. More stuff to fix. Thanks you again guys
Both of those issues are a frozen pressure protection valve. COuple minutes with a hair dryer or heat gun will free it right up.