• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump seats for M-1079

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is only 31" between the factory front seats, without touching. The setup I made (in another post) uses two 16" wide MRAP seats, with a 1/2" gap between them, and it rubs the sides of both factory front seats. (Which was why I was offering to make someone else a copy of the mounting plate I made, because finding seats that worked and engineering the mounts was a bunch of time.)

coachgeo

What is the view thru the windshield from center seat(s)?

Ask cause am considering forgoing the typical Co-Driver seat position and put a triple seat out of a Ford Transit across the back of cab. Got a great deal on 6 seats from a 2017 Transit. One Triple combo, one Double combo and one Single. Could just as well put the double up in back of cab. Either way would put remaining combo seats in Ambo replacing its bench seat. Honestly would rather everyone sit in Ambo Habitat anyway.. it is 10x safer to ride in than the cab.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the view thru the windshield from center seat(s)?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The view is exactly the same as the typical center seat, just several inches to the left or right. The seats I used are maybe 2" taller than the stock seat, so you sit up just a little higher too (for an adult, that's almost with your head touching the ceiling, but for kids it's still plenty of headroom).

coachgeo

I'm not sure what you're asking. The view is exactly the same as the typical center seat, just several inches to the left or right. ....
lol... I've got no clue what the view is in the center seat for average sized adult... Never sat there lol. Is it out windshield or staring at the metal above windshield.

(for an adult, that's almost with your head touching the ceiling, but for kids it's still plenty of headroom)....
Hmmm.. ceiling inches from adult head... 6" from child head.... hmmm.. ok.. not safe enough IMHO. I value folks skulls and spines. Nor do I want legal responsibility for decision to put passengers in such harms way.

It is a screaming deal for transit seats cause can get them for a 20% of cost of their value if I do it by this weekend. It's just too good to turn down. Two days ago for 100 bucks purchased two seats from a Mitsubishi Eclipse; 2008 era? and was going to put them in cab. So guess will stick with that plan and make them Driver / Co driver in cab and for safety go with no third seat. Maybe a skinny sleeper Bench/spare bed across the back hmmmm... would be great place for putting the #Hangry# at the world teen. when camping "look you get your own private sleep birth" or for napping on 10-12 hour drive day.

Will then put some of the Transit in the Ambo and sell the remaining. Was looking for good seats with belts for Ambo anyway so no loss.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol... I've got no clue what the view is in the center seat for average sized adult... Never sat there lol. Is it out windshield or staring at the metal above windshield.

Hmmm.. inches from head... 6" from child head.... hmmm.. ok.. not safe enough IMHO. I value folks skulls and spines. Nor do I want legal responsibility for decision to put passengers in such harms way.

The screaming Transit deal (Worth 1500 bucks plus; at least, of 2017 model unused seats) I can get for a third of that cost if I do it by this weekend. It's just too good to turn down. Two days ago for 100 bucks purchased two seats from a Mitsubishi Eclipse and was going to put them in cab. Guess will stick with that plan and make them Driver / Co driver in cab and no third seat. Maybe a skinny sleeper Bench/spare bed behind the seats. Hmm... would be great place for putting the #Hangry# at the world teen. when camping "look you get your own private sleep birth" or for napping on 10-12 hour drive day.

Will then put some of the Transit in the Ambo and sell the remaining. Was looking for good seats with belts for Ambo anyway so no loss.
Really, never even tried it out of curiosity, or while wrenching on something in the cab? You're a little close to the ceiling, but otherwise the view is pretty much just like in the driver's seat... right out the giant glass windshield. With the taller MRAP seats I have, I wouldn't ride there at 6'2" tall, without at least reclining the seat some to keep away from the ceiling.

TracerX

Thanks to this thread I was able to buy an LMTV then fit my whole family.

This was us on New Years eve headed out to get ice cream. Both kids are in booster seats in the F150 seats.
26116439_1825887077423515_1747385354175198110_o.jpg

One thing to note, '09-'11 seats only have a lap belt and no head rest. '12-14 have the 3 point belt and a head rest. I love how much storage they have. I got mine for $95 each at a nationwide wrecking yard chain.

coachgeo

... This was us on New Years eve headed out to get ice cream. Both kids are in booster seats in the F150 seats. ... [image]
One thing to note, '09-'11 seats only have a lap belt and no head rest. '12-14 have the 3 point belt and a head rest. I love how much storage they have. I got mine for $95 each at a nationwide wrecking yard chain.
Now that is some awesome Shiat Eating grins. What it is all about. Which seats you end up with? 09-11 or the later 12-14?

Crapgame

Tracer, you sure are blessed, buddy! Chocolate goatees and LMTV! No excused now for you to get rid of the toy, you can fit the whole family in the cab safely. Just wait until they are bigger and they fight over who rides shotgun and who rides Ma Deuce!

redman333

Is there any way to mount seats sideways in these mounted behind the driver and pass seat? Similar to old jump seats found in extended cab small pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way to mount seats sideways in these mounted behind the driver and pass seat? Similar to old jump seats found in extended cab small pickups.
Certainly. If you take the tool boxes out people's feet could dangle down in that space. The question is, will sitting sideways make them puke down the back of your neck?

coachgeo

rode sideways in a motorhome from 1972 thru 1980 and never got ill or uncomfortable. People sit sideways on Trams and city buses daily all over the world. Give a kid their electronic gizmo and they would not even care if they were facing backwards. But that being said, am considering not putting any riders in that elevated seating position and removing 3rd seat. Do not feel it is a safe place to have a passenger. Might be ok in my setup only because I've got a massively strong box behind cab that should prevent back of cab crush in a roll or flop sideways.
1235493045-braggUSE-800x600.jpg

Last edited:

redman333

rode sideways in a motorhome from 1972 thru 1980 and never got ill or uncomfortable. People sit sideways on Trams and city buses daily all over the world. Give a kid their electronic gizmo and they would not even care if they were facing backwards. But that being said, am considering not putting any riders in that elevated seating position and removing 3rd seat. Do not feel it is a safe place to have a passenger. Might be ok in my setup only because I've got a massively strong box behind cab that should prevent back of cab crush in a roll or flop sideways.
View attachment 716007
Yeah I agree with you. I've ridden in trucks sideways plenty of times. Honestly think that if someone will get sick it doesn't matter if they are facing front of not. It may help just a little but not much.

Mostly wanting this for the kids. I also plan on building a rollbar behind the cab and may try to build one around to the front as well to help protect in a roll scenario.

As far as storage goes I really have no need for storage in the cab. So really a non issue for me.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone do this yet. Maybe they have and I just haven't come across it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

...Mostly wanting this for the kids. I also plan on building a rollbar behind the cab and may try to build one around to the front as well to help protect in a roll scenario. ....I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone do this yet. Maybe they have and I just haven't come across it.
see the attempt at a ROP behind cab in my avatar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks