• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump Start CUCV?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can a stock 24V CUCV be safely jump started from a 12V vehicle? If so, how?

CCATLETT1984

hehe, this will get a little complicated.

Yes you can, you may need two vehicles and two sets of cables though (let me explain.)

If just the front battery is low (runs all the 12v stuff on the truck) then you hook a set of jumper cables up just like it was a civilian truck.

If just the rear is low (only used for starting) then you hook jumper cables up to the terminals on the rear battery. (Use the markings on the battery for pos and neg, dont go by the color of the cables.)

If both batteries are low, you will need two other vehicles and two sets of jumper cables, hook one up to each battery and then start the truck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple enough, I'll give it a try. Maybe someday I ought to buy new batteries.
Thanks!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried to jump start with one car, no luck, so I went and bought two new red top Optimas, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Not cheap but hoping they'll last forever, and, theres a $25 rebate on each one!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw the adapters online, called Optima and they suggested I contact OD Iron. Just haven't done it yet.

JohnFire

I had to replace 1 optima 1 year ago after it was in the truck for 8 years. I also had electrical problems where it kept being killed. They were both probably killed well over 100 times while I was gone. I put an auto charger in the truck so I could shoreline it. The other one still is good, and is now a back up to the 2 yellow top group 31 optima's. So I have over 3000 CA when needed on the cold nights where I can't use a block heater due to lack of outlets. Mine is converted to 12V so it also makes things a little easier but if anyone wanted to add an extra battery you can run it in parallel series set up. chassis ground neg - to Battery 1 neg - to battery 2 neg - , battery 1 pos+ to battery 2 pos+ to battery 3 Neg- , battery 3 pos+ to 24Volt pos+ block. I have worked on fire trucks that had this setup in the military. 24V for starting and the extra battery in parallel to help with extra 12v accessory power. I will post a diagram.

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

Jump start a 24 Volt vehicle with 12 Volt only works, if at least one of the two batteries is in usable condition! That's what the diagrams of the other guys show. Remember: If the engine is not perfect on compression and the injection pump and the injectors do not work very perfect, you WILL fail. The 6.2 l Diesel needs a minimum of 200 rpm to start! Never use starting fluids, it will crack the bearings and , if very unlucky, bend the piston rods. I have over 17 years of experience!
Normally two choises: Buy new batteries (2 of them, 100 AH NATO block is not required, a 85 AH standard batterie is fine (Newly available as 95 AH thanks to BMW X5 and simelar vehicles (SUV)) or take them out and properly try to recharge them, if they are still any good.
Normally warenty on batteries is 2 to a maximum of 5 years. If they are older, discard them, buy new ones! Try to get HD (in Germany called RF: rüttelfest) Batteries which are used in trucks (real big ones) or working mashines, they last normally 2 to 5 years longer for only a little more money.
By the way: batteries MUST be recharged at least after 6 month, better every 6 to 8 weeks due to natural discharge of 1,5 % to 2 % every day.
Wolf

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks