• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump starting 24V with 12 volt?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning on bidding and winning an M35A3 very soon. IF the truck should need to be jumped as I presume it will be, how can I do this from a 12V battery in my vehicle? Do I just connect the leads as normal to one of the batteries?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One word of advise, search...

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can jump to one battery at a time. Make sure you don't try to jump both batteries in series. If you are going to jump one battery at a time; don't hook the ground of the jumper cables to the M35A3 chassis. Hook the jumper cables to the battery terminals only.

24V system to 12V system is BAD....

I would get a couple of batteries. Charging dead batteries will kill the alternator quickly.

ryan77

Bring new batteries if there shot your not going to be able to jump them! Thats like jump starting a Peterbuilt with a yugo!!!:beer:

Orionspath

Batteries....A good idea

Do yourself a favor, and save a headache.....take 2 good batteries with you.
:ditto:
I agree with P&C. This is the foolproof way to recover. Some times on recovery, you'll get a pretty good GL operator on site that will have a slave cable to jump 24v from one truck to another.
Regardless, two extra 990 CCA batteries from wallyworld may help if the genny is bad.
2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If the batteries are graveyard dead you are going to need two anyway.

If you slave off a truck with dead batteries and drive it off the lot you will not have any lights and your in tank fuel pump may not work.

As stated above running with dead batteries will kill an expensive alternator.

You can replace the stock TL's with regular batteries but you will need to brace them in place with some short 2x4's to keep them from shifting around on the trip back.

You can get the measurements from someone here for the pieces of wood you will need.

bearboley

I like using semi truck batteries in them they have 3/8 studs on them I just unbolt the cables ends on the truck and the cables eyes will bolt right to the studs. They are cheaper than duece batteries and last longer than car batteries.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I will just buy two wally marts if I get one. Better to be sure like you all said.
As far as bracing can anyone supply some measurements?

Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks