• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump Starting a Deuce

renovate7

I've received my invoice and am going Tues to do a "recovery". I was able to go and inspect "A92" last week and both batteries are dead. I have someone who is going with me who has 2 of those jumpacks like you carry in a trunk. Should we hook one to each battery? Since the batteries are in series won't we be hooking a 12v pack into a 24v system, damaging it? Should we hook the + from one pack to the - of the other, putting them in series and jump that way? Should I just go get two new automotive batteries, which will be replacing the ones in the truck now, and use them? I did a search and got a lot of differing viewpoints but nothing definative. Any help appreciated.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've never used a "jump pack" to start a MV. If I were using lose conventional batteries this would require three single jumper cables. One to connect between the + of one fresh battery to the - of the other fresh battery, and then one each between the other post of each of the fresh batteries to the truck.

All that being said - have you checked the brakes? The do NOT require air, air is only needed for the power-assist. What is your "recovery" vehicle? I ask because a Multifuel starts easily via towing.

Finally, if you are satisfied that the current batteries are bad (not just dead) go ahead and get a pair of new 6TLs and put in it from the get go.

Regards,
David

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you are going to replace the batts anyway, put them in when you get there, that way, you wont worry about frying out a jump pack or two.....

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree you can even take some good but not new ones and take the time to install them. If you are driving it home and the alternator is not good you will still have brake lights and turn signals on the battery power. Be safe, have fun and take pictures.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is really simple, just put one 12 volt jump pack on 0ne 12 volt battery. do it twice and you have 24 volts (the batteries are in series) if the truck batterier are really dead this will not give you much crank time.

renovate7

We're taking a 30' 3 axle gooseneck trailer and truck. It's used to haul construction equipment. My trip home is I-95 to I-4 to Hwy 27, 200 miles of major highways. If I had more experience with this kind of vehicle I might try driving but breaking down is a lot more expensive than this haul. I am hoping to jump it and spend the time changing batteries once it's at the house. The guy at GL said everyone uses jump packs to start them. I think we'll take those as well as 2 new batteries, plus every tool I own. I've already checked the fluids, they look OK. I read the sticky on the pickup list and will make sure to oil the turbo before trying to start.

Blood_of_Tyrants

You can connect them like renovate7 says or you can connect the + of one jump pack to the - of the other pack (series) and then connect them + and - of jump pack to + and - of series connected batteries.

ida34

I think you would get a better connection by connecting the jump batteries directly to the batteries on the truck. One jump bat to each dead battery. Let the dog bone on the truck itself make the series connection.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Yea, you are probably right. The amperage for two series connected jump packs might tend to overload the cable as the current would have only one path to flow.

beaubeau

Everything is so complicated!! Go get ur truck, Give it a good shot of Ether in the Air cleaner, Put trans in 3rd on dry pavement,or4th gear on slippery pavement and pull start it! It should start within 30ft. , let it run for 45 mins to 1 hr. If bats are good, they will take a charge, if bad, Replace them when U get home. Or like they said ,"take new bats and change them". But I would make sure the existing bats are Junk before buying new. I got 2 Deuces with dead bats. from GL, They both start fine now with a good Charge. We drove one 512 miles with no problems! Good Luck, Phil

renovate7

Picked up the truck today. Didn't take new batteries because my hauler said he could start anything. Big mistake. Both batteries were stone cold dead. I also think one has a bad cell. After an hour using 2 jump paks, a spare battery and batteries in his running diesel truck managed to get it started. Of course I wasn't there because I was doing a trip to Walmart to get the new batteries I should have bought last night. When we got it back to the house this afternoon I put the two new group 24 batteries in and it fired right up. When we tried to jump with one good batt to each one in the truck the second set of jumper cables got hot immediately. I think the first batt to batt is 12v to 12v but the second (in the series) you are hooking a 12v battery into a 24v system. I took some pics and will try to post tomorrow. Truck looks very good. It was well mainteined until turned in.

wsucougarx

Ok so, let me get this straight (I know it's not rocket science). I've got a Dodge Cummins w/2 batteries. Technically I can use two sets of jumper cables (one to each battery) and just jump start it? Sorry but I missed jumpstart 101. Would it be wise to disconnet the positives from the Dodge Cummins before trying to fire up the deuce? Would it fry my Dodge's alternator if I left everything running and connected if I attempted to start the deuce? BTW the batteries are completely dead

SoundGuy

Technically I can use two sets of jumper cables (one to each battery) and just jump start it?
I think your dodge cummins is 12vdc. with both batteries in parallel (both +
s together and both -'s together). If you tried to hookup 2 sets of jumper cables to a 24v system, you would short the dodge truck. Will will likely burn a hole in your hand in about a second and the batteries would explode in under 10. Oh, and the alternator would be very upset at you. It could make an interesting show if you do it on the 4th of July. I could be mistaken though. You may have a 24v dodge and if you do, disregard the above. Good luck.

Alex400

The dodge trucks are 12volt. The batteries are connected in parallel. The reason they did this was because the cummins needs the power of two batteries but since these are assembly line trucks that also got a gas engine, it would be easier to make everything 12vdc. Same thing with Ford diesels from what i remember.

SoundGuy

Just some random facts about batteries while we are on the subject.
Current is constant in a series circuit. Lead Acid batteries charge based on current. If you replace your batteies, you should always replace in pairs. if you have one battery in a series charging circuit, it will most likely ruin the other battery due to an excess of current. Even with new batteries, if one is more charged than the other, it could ruin the whole setup. I always connect both batteries in parallel and charge with a 12vdc charger to ensure that the voltage on both batteries are the same(voltage is constant in a parallel circuit) before I install in any 24vdc system. This is also the reason that connecting A 12vdc device to just one battery will cause the whole set to not hold a charge properly and eventually ruin a good set of batteries.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a 12V truck. The batteries are in parallel I believe. You could take the cables off both, isolating your dodge, then use 2 sets of cables to attach to the 2 batteries of the sleeping truck, one for one.