• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump Starting a HMMWV - Which option would you go with?

beckel

Hello All - 1st post here and I have to say that I have really enjoyed reading through the wealth of awesome info on this site. I am waiting for my M998 EUC to clear but in the meantime I am planning for its arrival.
Although the truck started and ran in the GP auction I fully expect the thing to arrive dead given the three months in storage. Just curious what you guys think of these two options for jump starting the truck once the transport company drops it off.

To start out with, my daily drive is a 2015 Ford F350 Diesel. It has two massive batteries wired in parallel (12V).

Which option do you think works better to jump the HMMWV? I will disconnect the positive and negative leads from the F350 on both batteries before attempting either option.

Option 1 - jumper one positive and negative on the F350 and then connect the remaining positive and negative leads to the appropriate positive and negative leads on the HMMWV. This would effectively jump with 24 V

Option 2 - Use two sets of jumper cables to individually connect each F350 battery to each HMMWV battery thereby creating two 12V connections.

What do you guys think?

Sandman02ds

Perhaps "Option 3"?

First, I just received my Humvee this past Thursday and had to Jump it...and all I had around was my Jeep Wrangler to do it.

Ended up being pretty easy to do. Used a multi-meter (oHms meter) to see which battery was the weakest and hooked the Jeep up to only that battery (positive to negative on the one battery is still only 12V). Set the cables to the Humvee battery first, then the positive (+) on the Jeep, followed by the negative (-). Let it charge for about 3 minutes...and started the Humvee right up and then disconnected the Jeep. No issues at all.

Humvee has started ever since.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Option 4.... Buy 2 new batteries and being them with you and install them. Which might take 10 min...or less.
i take 2 batteries on all my recoveries, many times used them to jump the truck.
just bring jumper cables and a jumper to connect the pos and Neg of the 2 batteries.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done the following on my CUCV. While not a HMMWV, it's still a 24V starting system. I have often used a single vehicle and a jump box with excellent results.

beckel

Guys - thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I have a few options. Lets hope the truck starts when it arrives but im not holding my breath.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Don't try to start it. :)
Take each battery out and slow charge them back up to capacity. (each battery like over night) during that time you can start going through the vehicle preparing for starting.
checklist of some things to do;
fuel tank? drain, fresh fuel
fuel filters
oil
oil filter
radiator
coolant
hoses
bearings
grease
tires
brakes
lighting
electrical
gauges
seating
transmission
glass
and other items
Since a transport company will be bringing it to you, they might already be prepared for 24v slave jumping. See if you can revive the batteries first. The batteries surprisingly come back to life due to sitting the last 3-4 years. I have enjoyed using a Noco Genius G7200 smart charger for both 12v and 24v charging. It also handles all the types of batteries.

Good Luck

Last edited:

kojo0513

^ very good list of things to do. Hard part is finding everything while digging through the TMs like civilian part numbers etc lol

Oh- the transport company that brought my rig to me did jump it and let it charge. It's been fine ever since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks