• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jump starting with a M1009. Could have gone real bad

Barrman

I left Friday afternoon to take my Scouts on a camp out. We hiked a mile or so Friday, camped, hiked 12 miles into the middle of nowhere Saturday, camped and then back Sunday. I had intermittent cell signal and just turned my phone off except to check text ever few hours.

One of my Scout parents has a 2005 F350 that he lets us use for far away camping trips to pull the 16 foot Scout trailer. He brought it to my house Monday, parked it and I drove him home in the M1009. Plans changed and I used the blue bomber to pull the trailer for this trip. The same parent is having a skeet shooting party at his house this coming weekend and wanted to use my clay thrower. I have it loaded in a M101 with the cover on. I decided to hook his truck up to the 101 before I left on the camp out Friday evening. I get in his truck for the first time since he turned it off Monday and the batteries are dead. As in not even a dome light glowing dead.

I locked it back up and went on the camp out planning to take care of it when I got back. I told him about it when he dropped his son off and he was fine with me charging it up enough to run again. I went into cell block out. 6 miles into the 10 mile hike back Sunday I get a text from Jennifer saying she just used the M1009 to jump start to F350 and they took it. I wrote back OK. But, what I was thinking of was, what battery did they pull power from, did they pull from both to both of the F350 batteries, did they pull from the back battery and touch the body, is the computer on the F350 now screwed up after a dose of 24V, do I even have one still functioning alternator on the M1009, etc...?

Thankfully, I had burned up a battery post a while ago and replaced that single battery with a group 31. Never getting around to replacing the smaller body battery with a group 31 as well. I had rotated the batteries a few months ago when I did an oil change and the big one was on the front. The truck owner had tried using his wife's Jetta to jump the F350. It wasn't working because he had no patience and didn't let it charge any. He luckily had left that hooked up to one of the F350 batteries and then pulled off my bigger battery thinking it would have more umph to his other battery with another set of cables. I had asked him how he hooked it up when he met us after the camp out. Once he told me, I pointed out that it could have been a big problem for both of our trucks. "Oh, Jennifer said your truck had some special system in it and that I better wait for you to get home. But, I figured one try wouldn't hurt anything and it fired my truck right up."

I nicely told Jennifer she did right telling him about the "special" charging system but she really should have used a different vehicle and to please not offer to help with the M1009 in the future unless I am there. I didn't tell here all of my fears.

How many of you read this and could see the same thing happening at your home? I never thought of this happening and didn't do anything to train her or warn her. She had just heard me talking to Colton enough about how it works to know it wasn't normal. I have talked him through how to jump a 12 volt vehicle with a CUCV and probably will her if the right situation presents itself.

Front battery only.

I know there are a lot of CUCV owners out there and wanted to pass this along to maybe help somebody.

o1951

F350 = 24 volt. He might have jumped with both of yours for 24 volts?

I have jumped our 450 at work when someone left lights on over wk end last month & totally dead batts. Took my Expedition and another one and put one on each battery with 2 sets of cables. 3 vehicles far from each other as the chasis of the Expedition jumping second battery is at +12 with reference to other 2 vehicles. Fire up expys, wait 10 min, let glowplugs do their thing, 450 started right up. They ran the plow and sander on it for a full shift before shutting down.

IdahoPlowboy

o1951;1298289[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]F350 = 24 volt. He might have jumped with both of yours for 24 volts?
[/COLOR]
I have jumped our 450 at work when someone left lights on over wk end last month & totally dead batts. Took my Expedition and another one and put one on each battery with 2 sets of cables. 3 vehicles far from each other as the chasis of the Expedition jumping second battery is at +12 with reference to other 2 vehicles. Fire up expys, wait 10 min, let glowplugs do their thing, 450 started right up. They ran the plow and sander on it for a full shift before shutting down.
I did not know F350s were 24 volt.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He posted it on the Internet, so it must be true.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had "loaned" my CUCV-II to someone while thier car was in the shop. Never again :evil:

Anyway the truck wouldn't start one morning and they tried calling me. I was in the shower at the time and missed the call.

Since they couldn't get a hold of me they called for a AAA service. By the time I found the call, the guy was there and couldn't get the truck to start.

Me: STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!
Me: Do you know anything about 24v military systems?
Him: No.
Me: Then leave it alone unless you want your family to visit you in the hosipital from the explosion or me beating the tar out of him for frying the electronics

Ended up being a bad negative terminal bolt on the 12v side. Could have been very bad as he hooked up the jumper cables wrong.

o1951

If you merge the threads would it be a 24V question then?
I think if you merge 24 with 12, something bad happens:doh:

Although, many AAA trucks around here have 24 volt jump start system they use on 12 volt vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a cord with a pushbutton on the end which energizes a relay. I see the AAA guy stands near the cab, far from the vehicle, and tells the owner "ok, try it now". Starter sure spins fast.
Wonder how often battery or computers go.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks