• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jumped into the deep end of the pool and added a LMTV to the fleet - Need advice

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a "DLA" M1078 that I assumed had been moved around with a forklift due to the noted "bent drive shafts". Also assuming that, although "DLA" stands for Defense Logistics Agency, its use in an inspection report indicates it had been designated as a donor parts vehicle, but batteries are all I am aware of as missing. There was damage to the passenger door and cab and through my rose colored glasses, I am hoping that is the reason it was made a donor. I had planned on dragging or pushing the truck onto the trailer to get it home, but a friend cautioned me that with the damaged shafts, even pushing on and off the trailer can cause damage (if it is not already damaged). Does anyone have a feel if it would be warranted driving 3 hours each way to pull the axles (or uncouple the u-joints) before the contracted freight hauler shows up for the load?

Any and all advice regarding this and any other issues you might want to alert me to is greatly appreciated. (other than walk away as it is too late for that advice <grin>)

Thanks
Hangarhermit

coachgeo

Driving up to remove shafts if they are bent badly not a bad idea and will also allow you to check to see if the brakes are caged or not. Removing rear axle shafts may for-sure be easier, than removing that driveshaft. You will still have to remove front shaft though. Pick up Cage bolts at a truck stop. Pretty universal truck air brake part. Put them in and block the wheels or hide them there so the loader can install them. Other wise they will want to use forklift again cause it won't roll.

Read up on removing drive shafts... if they are bent enough to warrant removing it wont be easy task....... but then again sounds like these are fubared so on front one doing big hammer wacks or some other destructive removal process not as much of an issue?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the shafts are only slightly bent you can still cage the brakes and winch it onto a trailer. Just don't try to drive it. Sometimes the caging bolts are with the truck there are places to store them on the chambers.

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving up to remove shafts not a bad idea and will also allow you to check to see if the brakes are caged or not. Pick up Cage bolts at a truck stop. Pretty universal truck air brake part.
Thanks. I will plan on going up ahead of time and removing the shafts. The lazy part of me was hoping that someone would say don't bother, but I knew better.
Yes, GovPlanet did indicate the brakes were caged, but carrying a couple of extra would probably be a good idea.

hangarhermit

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the shafts are only slightly bent you can still cage the brakes and winch it onto a trailer. Just don't try to drive it. Sometimes the caging bolts are with the truck there are places to store them on the chambers.
That is the answer I was hoping to hear, but after my posting and then reading coachgeo's post, I think I will go ahead make the trip to at least check her out and get a heads up on what is going to be dropped in my driveway the following week. I'll make the call when I see the damage in person.
Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When you do put it back together if any of the yokes on tcase or diffs are damaged or out of round they have to be replaced or you run the risk of imbalance and chucking a driveshaft. George can tell you about that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks