• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just an idea about bobbing

jimh1985

This is the first post I have done so be gentle.
I have a question about bobbing my deuce. I don't know a good way to explain this but in the rear you have two tandem axles. the spring sits in between them.
Would it be possible to remove the rear axle and make some kind of brace to come down off the frame and provide a loop for the rear end of the spring to rest in. as if the rear axle was still there? I realize this could look a bit strange but It would also provide the most heavy duty suspension possible. Not to mention the easiest bob job ever.

DFD2010-A

Hmm....well first off I ran this by Gimp and he replied "Here's your sign!"

My personal thought on this though, if you're going to brace the back of the tandem that would greatly limit suspension travel on your front axle. You would almost have to add shocks or some type of flexible support to allow the same travel that the second axle did before you removed it. The rigid brace would keep your single axle locked in place and if you did hit a good bump or curb it would put a huge amount of stress on it and the welds/frame. Up to you though, there have been plenty of good results with guys using front take off springs and 105 springs to do their bob jobs....I'd stick with the tried and true!

jimh1985

So by holding the srping where it would normaly rest on the rear axle is going to make the front more rigid? Well I do have the trailer to do it the other way with. Thanks for the input. I didn't know if anyone had tried this way before.

DFD2010-A

Well, unless I'm not exactly understanding what your trying to do. If you could find a way to have the rear of the spring setup supported in a way that it is able to move freely like it would with another axle attached to it then I don't see why it wouldn't work? I was just trying to say if you used a rigid support from the frame to the springs it wouldn't allow the natural seesaw motion that setup uses. Another thought, on my truck the location that I cut the frame was forward of where the end of the stock springs would be, you would have to do a test fit to see how the length of your frame would work with your new bed. If you decide to do it though, post plenty of pics on the build!

rango

what DFD is saying is your proposed method could in theory work, BUT not with a solid brace, you would need a fairly heavy duty shock setup to compensate for the stresses of suspension movement, and i would take out the front rear, and leave the back rear, i believe you would get a better result but then again you wouldn't be gaining any length reduction

91W350

I think he would have a tremendous amount of torque roll on the differential' Compression of the spring would be fine, but I think it would roll badly the other way. Could be wrong though, it would not be my first trip down the wrong road! Glen

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Didn't realize you were a new poster. It was meant to get a laugh, no harm intended. I think making something like you mention would be WAY more work than using a set of deuce front springs.

jatonka

How about, use the trailer suspension and have a heck of a nice XM35A4? I've built them for a long time and the trailer suspension, with helpers correctly installed and moved back enough to mount the M105 box so it is correct looking is simply the best way to go, at my house anyway. JT

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One of the advantages to bobbing is losing the weight of the rear suspension set up and some frame weight.
I personally think it would look very odd and would not work very well....you also may have some safety issues with the DOT.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

tm america

You could do what you were talking about and just loose the spring and stick an air bag between the axle and frame and you would have and awsome ride...As far as axle roll like someone talked about there would be almost none like in the stock suspension since you would still be using the three link that is there.Although you would have to add a panhard bar to keep the axle centered in the truck since the springs do that in the stock set up...i think it would be cool to see someone do something different if you are gonna bob it. i say go for it:grd:

davidkroberts

i think jesusgatos ( i think thats right) was talking about someone using a Half-spring setup. He said it was fairly common for four-wheeling back in the day but isnt done so much anymore. It looked to me like the stock spring was setup but was cut down the middle for a half-stock hybrid system?

jimh1985

I had thought of removing the other half of the spring all together, but I was unsure of what that would do. I know the layers of the spring do slide a bit. But as I said before if it worked it would be allot stronger than the trailer springs and would have no wrap or roll. Do you have any information about that type of setup, a picture maybe?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think the half spring setup was for more droop in articulation. DH and I talked about it at the Ga rally. Basicly, you take a main spring and cut it off near the center. Bolt that to the frame and use it for the main spring pack's mount. Now you have a suspension that compresses the same but will droop up to 40% more. The new spring lays flat against the frame under the weight of the vehicle, but flexes down with the weight of the axle. I have been really pondering building an off road truck only for trails. PMCSing my truck after every outing gets old REAL quick.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have been really pondering building an off road truck only for trails. PMCSing my truck after every outing gets old REAL quick.
I didnt think that was a problem for you, you just put it on its side and do all the PMing standing up :razz: