• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just another hmmwv build thread.

Dock Rocker

I drug another one home yesterday. This one came from Ft Polk. Eddie the GP rep was great to deal with and a really nice guy. He helped me get it loaded up and off I went home.
hmmwv.jpg

I tucked her away with some other green stuff so she would not be lonely.

I got her home and went to toss in a couple of new batteries to get it off the trailer. The truck would crank and run when slaved but wouldn’t run when unhooked. I figured it was a dead cell and don’t think about again. When I pulled the cover I found this.

The good news is with the turn of a 1/2 wrench the problem was solved. Better news is both batteries tested good.

This truck was obviously somebody’s project. Its a 1995 998a1. It’s got a bunch of miles (75k). It was a hard top with AC. The military was nice enough to take that off along with the headlights. The compressor and dash controller are still on the truck. It’s got a dual voltage generator. The transfer case has been updated to the 242 but it’s still got a 6.2 and a th400. It’s an odd group of parts.
The most odd thing I found was just in front of the e-brake handle where the deep fording valve would go someone had installed a 12volt cigarette lighter/ charger.

The plan for this truck is to not to be a correct restoration but a truck that I can use around the house. It has to be as redneck proof as possible. It’s got to have lots of winch capability and eventually be capable of Interstate speeds + or - 70mph.

In the next weekly so I want to get the soft top on it and some hard doors that have been collecting dust. I am going to service the truck from back to front and throw on some belts. I just want to get it road worthy to see what all needs attention.

Down the road I have a front and rear hydraulic winch to install and I am gathering up the parts for a 4l80 swap as well.

I am also going to do a few creature comfort mods. I may piece together an air conditioner since I already have a compressor installed. I will run some 12 volt stuff around the cab and do some sound deadening where I can. Also a backup camera and some lights inside and out.

I will try to keep this thread updated with anything interesting that happens and or pics / video of any of the more interesting mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Dock Rocker

Subscribed - cuz I like to watch folks build things. It gives me inspiration (or is that hope?).
Hope! That’s so true it hurts!!

Good news in the battery front. I hooked it all up to move it to a storage shed and left it over night. I figured my tester ($20 Amazon job) might not be very accurate. I didn’t charge anything last night either.

We had a big temp swing yesterday. 65 degrees when I unloaded the truck to 31 with snow flurries this morning. I went out turned the switch and waited in the light to go out. One bump and it was running. No fuss no smoke just cranked right up. My last hmmwv would have taken a half hour of tinkering to get running at 30 anything.

So the batteries are at least in descent shape. The glow plugs are getting hot. That’s a good place to start from.

Last edited:
You want to really test those batteries?

Bring it up here. Two degrees below zero this morning at 7:00 AM.

It is up to one degree now. So, what is that a three degree "swing" in four hours?

Dock Rocker

You want to really test those batteries?

Bring it up here. Two degrees below zero this morning at 7:00 AM.

It is up to one degree now. So, what is that a three degree "swing" in four hours?
That’s to much winter for me. I don’t live in MIssissippi to have to deal with 30 degrees much less minus anything! We have already had two weeks of winter and that’s a week to much for me!!!!!

That’s to much winter for me. I don’t live in MIssissippi to have to deal with 30 degrees much less minus anything! We have already had two weeks of winter and that’s a week to much for me!!!!!

Up here we measure Winter with a thermometer.

I assume you use a calendar down there? :-D

Dock Rocker

I am talking about the metal tag located near the data tag and another mounted on the dash to show if/where the vehicle was rebuilt by the military.
Sorry. It’s been a LONG day. My brain is not fully engaged.

There isn’t a single MWO tag or rebuild tag anywhere on it. That’s why I think it was somebody’s pet.

Dock Rocker

The kid has a case of pink eye so we are basically radioactive today. We couldn’t make it to church so I went and tinkered on the truck a little. I got the passenger front hub serviced and checked out.

I was also able to get the soft top on and the doors hung. Fitting them is a real pain in the butt. So far I have only gotten the front passenger fitted and locking as it is supposed to. GI Joe was nice enough to take the strikers off so I picked up a set from Black Dog Customs. They fit as advertised and seem to work great so far.

It’s a little brisk outside today so I am working in the garage. It made fitting the top much easier.

Dock Rocker

The kiddo was ill this weekend so I was only able to work a little at a time.

I got the oil, air filter, and transfer case done late last week.

I checked all the hubs and front end parts. Everything was good to go. I am thank for that.

I got some new lights installed. GI Joe borrowed the LED’s so I put a set in I purchased for another project that were laying around.

I also got a start in some of the 12 volt wiring. I got my radio rack installed with Ram mounts for my phone and one for the iPad I use for nav.

Dock Rocker

I have a campout I forgot about with the nephew this weekend so I have been thrashing to get things reasonably ready.

The steering wheel was chipped so I wrapped it with some para cord to hold me over until I can find a new style wheel.

I also installed a “console”. It’s got chargers and two cup holders.

Got another cup holder. This is actually for a toolbox. You can get them off of amazon.

Fabbed up a mount for a civi antenna for this ride. I also got the antenna tuned so i can talk some.

I also got some lights that will work for the short run. They are battery powered and have an external switch. They are made to go over a roll bar so they work great for this.

I stuck a tool chest in the back for some dry storage. It’s going to rain all weekend on this campout.

The best accessory I picked up so far is this one.

Awol

It's looking great!

I see you got the most important accessory of all installed too :)

PACIFIC1

Is the "best accessory" that back up camera? Exactly what I need, where are you mounting the display and what camera did you select? I thought I would mount mine just slightly to the left of the wiper motor where a review mirror would be placed.

Dock Rocker

Is the "best accessory" that back up camera? Exactly what I need, where are you mounting the display and what camera did you select? I thought I would mount mine just slightly to the left of the wiper motor where a review mirror would be placed.
I was talking about the tag being he best accessory. I got it registered and tagged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks