• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just another hmmwv build thread.

Dock Rocker

This week it’s been hack new parts up week.

On my last truck I used the Those Military Guys upper console. It was nice but the construction left a lot to be desired. It was pretty flimsy and the welds were terrible on the tabs that hold it to the A pillar. I figured there had to be a better (and cheaper) way.

I am not proud of it but I am a recovering jeep guy. I had an upper console left over for a past TJ project so I decided to see if I could make it work.

It took about 10 different cuts and test fits but I think It worked out well.

I had to hack the front of the bracket significantly in order to clear the wiper motor. The rear attaches with large radiator clamps so that was an easy attachment.

Once I got it fitted I got the molly cover on it and got my CB and Amp mounted. I still have a few things to stick up there like a light and charger and a molly bag or two.

I still have some significant wiring to do but so far its MUCH more sturdy Thant the TMG setup and I like the molly webbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awol

Looks really good!

Aint nothing wrong with being a Jeep guy! I like all brands of vehicles, and their various subcultures.

Dock Rocker

I did a little Rapco remodeling to my doors. They turned out good but now I have the paint the whole truck to match. It’s a freaking vicious cycle.

I picked up an H1 roof rack from a guy locally. It’s made to ride in the rain channel of the hard top. I don’t have a hard top or a channel so I have to improvise. It is built like this one. Only a little shorter. It fits perfectly over the cab section of the truck.

I am going to use the factory brackets and fab up a hoop for the front and make an X mount of some sort for the back. My plan is to put a few things up there like a spare tire and high lift jack. Also want to make something lockable to put some recovery equipment in.

I want it to end up looking something like this but ride just a little closer to the top.

JoeJrTheBarber

It was a spraybomb. I am going to have to use a gun for the rest of the truck. Much cheaper for that muck real estate.
When you do go and paint your truck what code of Rapco "green" are you going with.
I ask because both the 34079 & 34094 both look good on these trucks. The 34079 seems to have a bit more "sheen" to it, where the 34094 almost has a "chalky" look to it..

Dock Rocker

When you do go and paint your truck what code of Rapco "green" are you going with.
I ask because both the 34079 & 34094 both look good on these trucks. The 34079 seems to have a bit more "sheen" to it, where the 34094 almost has a "chalky" look to it..
Rapco only has one 383 green. That’s the same color I used on the doors.

Dock Rocker

Well life has been in the way of doing any major mods to my truck lately. I have swapped a few things like the backup camera. I had to do something different because the new airlift bumper covered the old camera. I went to a license plate style camera and left the original display and hardware.

My big upgrades are coming. I am putting a roof top cargo rack together. I picked up a nice H1 rack and I am going to make a rack with a tire carrier setup out of it.

I am also going to add front and rear hydraulic winches. I am currently cleaning, re plumbing and wiring the winches. My big hurtle is figuring out the controls for it. The .gov never installed a front and rear winch so I am sorting out how to make that work.

My current big project is the transmission. I am headed down the 4l80e swap rabbit hole.

I started collecting up parts for a 4l80e swap several months ago. I figured I would document the process and cost in this thread. Once it’s all done I may put it in a stand alone thread for an easier search.

My truck is a 1995 998 with a 6.2 with a th400 and a 242 transfer case.

For the actual transmission I did some swapping and trading for a clean, known good 4wd 4l80e. It doesn’t have a dipstick or a converter.
I ordered a converter, dipstick, filter, and seals for the pump. I am in the process of pulling the pump and checking everything on the input side as well as dropping the pan and changing the filter now. I should have that buttoned up this weekend.

The truck already has a 242 t-case so I don’t have to worry about that.

I ordered the US Shift harness and stand alone Shift 4 controller for the 4l80 yesterday. It seems to be the best bang for the buck and it allows the most tuning options of the controllers I could find. I will document the setup and how that works once I get there.

I already picked up a 4 speed shifter and cross member from a SS member earlier this year.

Lastly I ordered a GM throttle position sensor that RetiredWarHorses recommended. It will attach at the injector pump.

My plan is to get some good pictures of the install and document the price as I go so everyone will be able to see it and know what it actually costs.

Right now it looks like this on the cost:

Transmission $500
Stand alone controller and harness $725
Wix trans filter $40
Converter $129
Transmission seals and gasket $80
4 Speed Shifter $425
80e Crossmember $75
GM Throttle Position Sensor $52
Transmission Dipstick $27
Dipstick Tube $34

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter

There are 2 types of 242 TC's, so you might need to shorten or get a different rear drive shaft .
You'll also need another mid shaft.

Dock Rocker

There are 2 types of 242 TC's, so you might need to shorten or get a different rear drive shaft .
You'll also need another mid shaft.
Once everything is in I am trailering it to a friends driveline shop I know at least one shaft will need to be chopped so it want be a dig deal for them to chop both.

It should be easier to measure for a drive shaft on a hmmwv because of the lack in of travel but my record for measuring for driveshafts is checkered at best. That’s why Jackson Powertrain has been on my speed dial for almost two decades.

I do appreciate the heads up though. I didn’t know there were differences in the two T-cases.

Last edited:

PACIFIC1

Dock Rocker

Well I made a little progress on the rear winch instal.

I got the new bolts in the upper A arm to hold the bracket. They are a little long but it’s what I could get. They will look better with a washer and the winch plate attached.

I had to drill out the holes in the inner brackets for the front of the winch plate. For some reason mine didn’t have them.

My next move will be to bolt it all together and attach the lines for the last time (hopefully). I have to hit up tractor supply for a little more 3/8’s hardware tomorrow and it will start going back together.

Dock Rocker

Well this party started today. Been looking for a place to store some tools and a few lockable boxes.

Also may do a rooftop awning for the little one to have some shade.

Action

Well this party started today. Been looking for a place to store some tools and a few lockable boxes.

Also may do a rooftop awning for the little one to have some shade.

How will you mount the roofrack? The body flexes. You may bust welds if you don't use bushing in the mounts somehow.

Dock Rocker

How will you mount the roofrack? The body flexes. You may bust welds if you don't use bushing in the mounts somehow.
I am having a buddy cut out plates to mount on the front A pillar, the B pillar and a cross bar going to each fender with a backing plate. They will all go in with riv-nuts and bolts.

I doubt the body flex is going to be much of an issue with 6 mounting points. There is very little flex at the A and B and the cross brace put back should cut out anything back there. This isn’t a full sized rack. It’s a take off from a H1 so it only covers the area of the four man top. It doesn’t extend to the tailgate like some of the gypsy racks do.

There are quite a few running around with a less sturdy setup that have not had any issues. If there are issues I will sort it out then.

Dock Rocker

Drug in last night from a job that took me away from the Georgia Rally early. I have a little extra time this morning so I slapped on the tire carrier.

It’s just like many government products. It’s overly complicated and over priced! It does work as advertised though.

Now I have to relocate my tag and backup camera.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks