• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just bought '86 m1008

kweb434

This is my first military vehicle but the second owner. The truck was bought from the military last June 2010. I checked all of the fluids and drove the truck before I bought it. The guy I'm buying it from is replacing the cab corners and I'm picking it up on Friday.
Is there anything I need to look for before I pick it up?
Will Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x12.5R16.5 Military 4x4 tires fit on the truck or is there a better tire?
Will it be okay to drive it on the highway for 200 miles?
The truck is completely stock and has 54000 miles on it.
The first owner only put about 1000 miles on it.
Thanks for the help.

stampy

Welcome! Read, Keep Reading, Read some more. Lots of info here. Remember it's a diesel (Don't put GAS in it!). It will be screaming on the highway at 65 as they are geared low, but it will pull just about anything out. Where are you picking it up? If it is north of you there are a few of us up here if you need any help, near the Va line. Use the search function all of your questions will probably be answered and then some. Welcome again!

91W350

This is my first military vehicle but the second owner. The truck was bought from the military last June 2010. I checked all of the fluids and drove the truck before I bought it. The guy I'm buying it from is replacing the cab corners and I'm picking it up on Friday.

The front axle is almost bullet proof, they can still be damaged by being wet. Jack it up and roll the front wheels to make sure they spin freely. Also grab the top of the tire and the bottom of the tire and try to move it, both left to right and top to bottom. It should be really solid top to bottom and you should be able to move it laterally, with resistance. We are looking for free lateral movement. If you find movement, figure out where it is before you drive off. Take the flex brake lines and bow them between your finger and thumb, do not try to crush them, but roll them around and look for deep cracks or signs of seepage or swelled spots. I would check the rear axle bearings the same way. They make so much noise, a growly bearing is hard to pick up on from the cab.

Is there anything I need to look for before I pick it up?

Obvious fuel leaks.

Will Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x12.5R16.5 Military 4x4 tires fit on the truck or is there a better tire?

I'll let somebody else jump in here, I am not much for lifting these trucks.

Will it be okay to drive it on the highway for 200 miles?

If it is good, drive it 1000 or 2000 miles, I would mine. Remember though, these are low rpm engines and the truck is low geared. A lot of guys say they run 65, but that is flat screaming for a 6.2. I am probably at the other end of the scale, 45 to 50 is a good speed for the M1008.

The truck is completely stock and has 54000 miles on it.

We can only hope that is factual, the military did not trouble shoot odometers, they just replaced them. If it has a million mile odometer, you know it has been replaced.

The first owner only put about 1000 miles on it.

It is borderline criminal not to drive and use these, they are excellent trucks.

Thanks for the help.

Good luck with it and welcome to the forums. Glen

91W350

Hey! Check the inside of those wheels for wet spots, before you drive off and the first few stops. If a caliper or wheel cylinder is going to start leaking, it will probably happen shortly after you start using the brakes..... okay, I am out of here... Glen

kweb434

Thanks to all of the reply!!!
Stampy, I'm picking the truck up near Wilington NC and thanks for the information.
67_C-30, I will get a picture up soon.
91W350, Thanks for all information. I will be able to put it on a lift when I get there.

stampy

I think Deucenoob? is in that area. We are all over NC get to know the guys here, it's always a great resource for help. We try to take care of each other here at SS. Stump and I are up here in Henderson/ Middleburg area about an hr away from you.

TCUCV

Thanks to all of the reply!!!
Stampy, I'm picking the truck up near Wilington NC and thanks for the information.
67_C-30, I will get a picture up soon.
91W350, Thanks for all information. I will be able to put it on a lift when I get there.
Thats actually my neck of the woods...what size lift are you putting on?

I'm going to get a set of 16.5" rims and put 37" old hummer tires on them with a 4" lift. I know I will end up cutting some of the fenders too. I want to keep the center of gravity low and still be able to handle some decent trails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks