• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a 1954 REO M35A1 original gas engine!

austinaubinoe

I never thought I would own a truck like this 10 years ago, and now I own two. This fell into my lap and I took it. Incredibly original and solid. Was in dry storage and used by a potato farmer for a long time. Windshield frame and glass is by far the worst of it. My truck in primer is a 1953 REO converted to multifuel by the Army.

Attachments

austinaubinoe

I never thought I would own a truck like this 10 years ago, and now I own two. This fell into my lap and I took it. Incredibly original and solid. Was in dry storage and used by a potato farmer for a long time. Windshield frame and glass is by far the worst of it. My truck in primer is a 1953 REO converted to multifuel by the Army.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow looking good. Data plate shows M45 which is cab and chassis with duals, but yours has been converted to singles with flipped hubs and the correct wheels. Good candidate to make a M34 cargo clone using a bed from a M135.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm confused, is it a M35 or a M35A1? The gasser was the M35, The A1 had the 427 multi. Good looking truck though. TM's are in the TM section.

I just looked at the pictures again. Do you have a picture of the drivers side? I seem to remember there being something odd with that model designation on the data plate. (maybe different air tanks?)

Last edited:

austinaubinoe

Wow looking good. Data plate shows M45 which is cab and chassis with duals, but yours has been converted to singles with flipped hubs and the correct wheels. Good candidate to make a M34 cargo clone using a bed from a M135.
Did not even notice that it said 45 and not 35! Just looked up the M135, that's a cool truck. No idea where I would find a bed for it. Would love to one day make this a hydraulic dump. Would need a shop to do it, don't have the capacity to lift stuff like that. For now Id love to get it running off its own tank. Already cleaned the tank, and pump, just would not pull gas. going to try and pressurize the tank and force it to prime.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT is right about the M45's. There were some at Jack's in Tucson and the CH-D-54 sticks in my head about something being odd.

austinaubinoe

NDT is right about the M45's. There were some at Jack's in Tucson and the CH-D-54 sticks in my head about something being odd.
Yeah would love to figure out what the heck this thing started as. Just going to enjoy it and get it operational and smooth. Never had a gas engine that was this heavy duty. Its pretty incredible. I cant seem to find ANY TMs on this engine.

fleetmech

Yeah would love to figure out what the heck this thing started as. Just going to enjoy it and get it operational and smooth. Never had a gas engine that was this heavy duty. Its pretty incredible. I cant seem to find ANY TMs on this engine.
I dont have anything on the military specific parts (like the ignition), but I believe I have an old Motors manual that covers the later civilian variants of the Gold Comet. Ask here, and I'll venture down into the archives and see if I can help. They were absolutely built to be an industrial truck engine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm seeing 2 different trucks here. Are we speaking about the one in red oxide or the other with the giant bed?

Any weird levers beside the driver's seat?

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a specific manual for the gas engine trucks. I’ll get mine out of the shop and give you the number. I was fortunate my truck came with them. I remember it was printed in 1954 so I doubt there is an electronic copy but I haven’t looked.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The TM 9 1819A is 30 bucks on eBay

Mr. John Tennis offers all TM's you need you need for free download

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks