• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a 1984 M923

RobM923

Hi guys, I'm new to this board and still learning how to use it. I just bought myself a really cool M923 and I'm really stoked. I purchased the truck at an auction, it was the only vehicle of its kind there. It had 7404 miles and 800 some hours, now it has about 7650 miles (I drove it home). I'm really excited about this vehicle it's in great shape, the color is desert sand and it looks like its only been painted one time (on top of the original green I think) and no dents to speak of. I've restored a few cars but this is the first vehicle I've had where the wheels weigh about 200lbs:) just a guess.
Of course I already have it partially disassembled, the air lines going to the windshield wipers were dry rotted and leaking so I took the dash apart to get to them. Now I'm redoing the dash panel and since the tach wasn't working its a good opportunity to repair it, new cable already made.:-D I've been reading the service manual because I have an issue with the breaks, after I apply the breaks they don't want to release. It's probably an adjustment issue so I'm really looking forward to putting my dash back together so I can fire the truck back up and figure out what's up with the breaks. I want to drive it some more and show it off, people really like it. This truck brings back a lot of memories, I was a defense contractor for almost 20 years and manufactured many parts for the Army, Navy and the Department of Defense. So every time I take something apart and see an MFR number all kinds of crazy requirements, specifications and ECO's flash before my eyes. I love my truck!!

Hooper

Welcome to the club. Does your truck have dual rear wheels or the super singles. Post a pic when you can and congrats on the truck!

First off congrats on your new truck! They are alot of fun. As for your brake issue I would try figuring it out before driving it any more. The last thing you want happening is your brakes locking up when driving. There are 2 things that come to mind that may be wrong with the brakes.
1) Leaking spring brake diaphragm but most likely not since it is slow to release the brakes after releasing the brake pedal. If it was the spring brake diaphragm then it would most likely loose air or not maintain pressure while operating.

2) The brakes can be sticky and this is very common for these kinds of trucks that have sat for a while. I would suggest cleaning the brakes and make sure the shoes are releasing all the way.

These are just the first things that came to mind but I bet some of the more experienced members will have more to add since I am still learning about these awsome trucks.

Also check your glad hands on the front and make sure the valve is closed. I know they can make your brakes act wierd.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site . The first thing to do is study the -10 tecnical manual . I doubt a adjustment will cause the brakes not to release . It is either a air valve or a issue with the brake chambers . I wound't recommend driving it until you find the problem .
Do you have any experience with air brakes ? Do you loose air pressure ?
Not knowing your problem this is a thread about the brakes locking , it might have some info you can use , it is also a good example of what not to use for a thread tittle What could cause this EMERGENCY .

Tips for using the site when posting a new thread use a title that describes the issue and will be relevent when searching . Only use HELP , EMERGENCY ect. in a title when it truely is , like when your broke down on the side of the road or are truely in danger. Try and build on existing threads instead of starting a bunch of different ones , keep all the information in one thread so we can better assist you with your problems .

Last edited:

RobM923

Ok, here is a pic of my truck. I took this picture when I was bringing the truck home, rear tarp is in the bed, already fixed the leaky rear axles (caps were lose). I brought all kinds of tools and fluidsimagejpeg_2.jpg with me when I went to get the truck so I did a lite service on it before putting it on the road for 200 plus miles. I will post more pictures later.

RobM923

Thanks, dual wheels ,I posted a pic:)

Welcome to the club. Does your truck have dual rear wheels or the super singles. Post a pic when you can and congrats on the truck!
Not sure if my post went in the right place so here is the picture again. Sorry for the duplicate.imagejpeg_2.jpg

FP1201

Welcome to the site . The first thing to do is study the -10 tecnical manual . I doubt a adjustment will cause the brakes not to release . It is either a air valve or a issue with the brake chambers . I wound't recommend driving it until you find the problem .
Do you have any experience with air brakes ? Do you loose air pressure ?
Not knowing your problem this is a thread about the brakes locking , it might have some info you can use , it is also a good example of what not to use for a thread tittle What could cause this EMERGENCY .

Tips for using the site when posting a new thread use a title that describes the issue and will be relevent when searching . Only use HELP , EMERGENCY ect. in a title when it truely is , like when your broke down on the side of the road or are truely in danger. Try and build on existing threads instead of starting a bunch of different ones , keep all the information in one thread so we can better assist you with your problems .
Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, but we're two of a kind: I just bought a M923, and wish someone would have pointed out some of the traditions/expectations the forum members expect. FWIW: I work on Ft. Drum and used to repair green vehicles, now they're mostly yellow.

RobM923

I'm in Davie, FL (by Fort Lauderdale), I'd love to do a rally or two............ or three. I was thinking about doing a camping trip with it before the weather gets too hot. any suggestions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks