• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a Deuce...

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All! I finally bought an M35A2 (NSN 2320-00-077-1616). I know absolutely NOTHING about this truck but I am super excited to learn about it and repair it as well as I can. I have listed some questions below that I am sure you folks can answer:

How do I determine which engine I have?
How do I determine which transmission I have?
Are the air compressors on the engine all the same?

These are some questions I have now, but I am sure that I will have thousands of others once I get going on this latest project. Any advice you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Peace in Christ...
Leo

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you taken delivery of the truck ?

Does it have oil in the engine ?

Is there water in the radiator ?

Does it start and run and have good oil pressure ?

Does it have brakes or at least the pedal doesn't go to the floor ?

Asking for a friend ... ✌

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your acquisition. You have a LDT465 multifuel engine (with turbocharger) or LD465 (naturally aspirated), with a Spicer 3053 transmission. There are two air compressors, the old 2 cylinder and the new 1 cylinder. They are interchangeable.
Wow... that was FAST! Hopefully, I will learn all of this over time. I can't wait to bring my truck home. I hope to pick it up soon. The seller stated that it needs "Brake Work" and has a "Bad U-Joint", so I will have to fix that stuff first. Hopefully, I will be able to get a copy of the "Parts Spreadsheet" offered by Simp5782. I tried to download the spreadsheet, but I was unsuccessful. I am willing to bet the part number for the U-Joint will be on that list. As for what "Brake Work" means, I have no idea.

Last edited:

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! And

nopics
I hope to get the truck home in the next couple of weeks. I will be certain to post pics when I get it home. It is UGLY right now, but I like to paint and have a couple of gallons of OD Green. It needs some body work and somebody put a mechanical winch on it but I don't know if it is connected. I am really excited to get started on it.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Download all the free TM's for your truck off this website.

Blow up a printer if you have to.

Study them thru & thru, you'll be amazed at what you come to know.
I did download many of the TM's for my truck, but I didn't get them all. I have never seen so many manuals for one family of trucks. I can only guess why the TM's are broken into sub-texts, such as TM 9-2320-209-10-1, TM 9-2320-209-10-2, etc. I imagine that if they were all in one manual, it would be 10" thick.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you taken delivery of the truck ?

Does it have oil in the engine ?

Is there water in the radiator ?

Does it start and run and have good oil pressure ?

Does it have brakes or at least the pedal doesn't go to the floor ?

Asking for a friend ... ✌
Haven't yet brought it home. The owner states that he does drive it, but when I tried to start it I was unsuccessful. After reading this post, I am thankful it didn't start because I didn't think to do a PMCS before I cranked it. You would think that after 24 years of AFS, I would have done that out of habit. Apparently, I am dumb. I will bring a DA 2404 and the PMCS Checklist with me when I go to get it. Thank you for reminding me...!

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow... that was FAST! Hopefully, I will learn all of this over time. I can't wait to bring my truck home. I hope to pick it up soon. The seller stated that it needs "Brake Work" and has a "Bad U-Joint", so I will have to fix that stuff first. Hopefully, I will be able to get a copy of the "Parts Spreadsheet" offered by Simp5782. I tried to download the spreadsheet, but I was unsuccessful. I am willing to bet the part number for the U-Joint will be on that list. As for what "Brake Work" means, I have no idea.
I was able to get the parts spreadsheet - Yeah!!!. I was reading the posts and I saw that there is a Wiki for these trucks. How does a member access the Wiki? I cannot seem to find a link or path for the Wiki. Thank you for the help!

Reactions: HDN

HDN

I hope to get the truck home in the next couple of weeks. I will be certain to post pics when I get it home. It is UGLY right now, but I like to paint and have a couple of gallons of OD Green. It needs some body work and somebody put a mechanical winch on it but I don't know if it is connected. I am really excited to get started on it.
Quite a few projects start with being ugly! I was fortunate to get my truck from someone who took care of it and gave it a new coat of paint while they had it. It will need another coat at some point in the next few years.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake Work could mean a lot of things. For me it meant rebuilding the air pack, installing a new master cylinder, all new rubber lines, new hard lines, relining the drum brake shoes and installing new wheel cylinders. Also a remote reservoir after everything else was done.

It was a lot of work, not hard work though. Peace of mind now knowing my single circuit brake system is up to snuff.

Was perfect time to go thru the wheel bearings, change the seals, change diff oil. Next thing after that was pinion seals and U-joints...

Have fun.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake Work could mean a lot of things. For me it meant rebuilding the air pack, installing a new master cylinder, all new rubber lines, new hard lines, relining the drum brake shoes and installing new wheel cylinders. Also a remote reservoir after everything else was done.

It was a lot of work, not hard work though. Peace of mind now knowing my single circuit brake system is up to snuff.

Was perfect time to go thru the wheel bearings, change the seals, change diff oil. Next thing after that was pinion seals and U-joints...

Have fun.
Today, I found out what "Needs Brake Work" means. There is absolutely no pedal pressure, as if there is no brake fluid. I spent time looking at the master cylinder, trying to figure out how to add brake fluid. Until now, I simply removed the cap, added the fluid, reset the rubber vacuum gasket, and reinstalled the cap. I thought I would do the same with my truck. Wrong Answer! I finally got the access door on the floor of the drivers side to open (thanks to WD-40). I reached down to open the cap on the master cylinder only to find a thin line threaded into the cap. I figured that it must be attached to a separate "fruit jar" or brake fluid reservoir but since I had no idea where it might be, I decided to follow the line from the cap to where ever it might end up. I crawled under the truck and followed this thin line into a TEE. So, now I am wondering how to check the brake fluid without having to remove this thin line. I have attached a pic showing this thin line that goes from the cap into the TEE. Ideas anyone?

Tiny Bake Line.jpg

williamh

That should be a vent line. If it had a resivour it would be mounted in the cab behind the drivers seat. It’s a common failure for these trucks to loose peddle , leaks in the air pac , wheel cylinders , failed break lines. Most common is the wheel cylinder followed by the air pac. Should be dot 5 fluid. Look at the wheels for oil leaking from the break drum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks