• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a M101A2.

jcfuzzdog29

Hi I just bought a M101A2 trailer to pull behind my f350 and its in pretty good shape but im gonna sand it all down and repaint it.... I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of where i could find parts or add on ideas for my trailer. It will be used to hall dirt and we go to alot of auctions. It will be used for when we go camping as well. I get a pic up as soon as i can... But i will be looking for the tarps that came on them since mine does not have it also some ammo cans and what not. Thanks ahead of time..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Does it have the crank down landing leg? Those are nice when you have a heavy load in the bed. They came on the A3s, but some A2s have them. I installed what is called "E-track" in mine. It is one of the best things ever!

MarcusOReallyus

Just remember that just because people advertise them as "dump trailers" doesn't mean they are really intended, or designed, to be used that way.
Yep. Somebody on here mentioned knowing of people who broke their trailers using them to dump like that. It's NOT the intended function.

Nice looking truck & trailer! I think you'll be glad you bought it. :beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can but repeated dumping will cause it to break. Look at the geometry at the spring hangar. When pivoted it will twist them and eventually they will fail.

cpf240

They will "dump"... but it was not designed and engineered for it. It was only intended to enable denser packing for shipping of the trailers. The frame may break if used for dumping any sort of heavy load. Don't ask what "heavy" is in this case, because I have no idea.

harleyhouse

The trailer sits nice with the lifted ford.
Too bad Ford had to change to a metric lug pattern on the Superduties.
The trailer is 8 on 6.5 pattern.
Makes using the same spare as the truck not an option.

As for dumping Don't It will break at some point.
The pivot is at the wrong angle for constant use.
It will stress and brake the cast spring hanger.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So you can not use them as a dump trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-R6XjhKVQ&NR=1&feature=endscreen

That was one of the selling point for the wife. Just for mulch around the house.
If you plan on using it as a dump, you will have to add a rubber brake line so the solid one doesn't snap. Also, you will have to remove the wireharness clips so you don't rip the wires. Finally, you will need to add limiting straps, as a heavy load will dump the bed farther than its designed for and snap the pivot castings.

So yes, it can dump, but not without some work, or you will **** up your trailer.

MarcusOReallyus

So you can not use them as a dump trailer?

That was one of the selling point for the wife. Just for mulch around the house.

Nobody said you can't.

There's can't and there's shouldn't.

One of these days, if I ever run out of projects, I might look into replacing that pivot point with something that is made to do that under load. Then I'd put a cylinder on there to do the lifting. Along with a few other mods to make it work properly as a dump trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could probably modify the tongue channel to add a heim joint where is joins to the shackle. Not studied it enough to assure that would work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search the term "Behr". You will find some threads on using exterior latex and it really holds up well.