• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a trailer

sinarms

I just won this trailer on ebay, got it at a good price but the seller never listed the model, I believe it is a m105 but I don't know for sure. Can any of you shed some light on it? Thanks

Attachments

sinarms

I'll be pulling it with my 97 Yukon, I have pulled a car trailer many times with heavy cars/trucks on it so it should be an easy pull. I ordered a receiver hitch with a 12" rise for the Pintle and magnetic lights. The trailer still has the nubs on the tires and fresh packed bearings. It is ~280 miles from me and i got it for $400. The canvas is supposed to be in very nice shape also.

KsM715

The heavily loaded car trailers you used to tow with your yukon probably had trailer brakes. This thing will not have brakes. Going to be a handful behind your tow vehicle.

sinarms

Nope no trailer breaks on that trailer. I've hauled 3/4ton pickups and mid 70's full size cars with big blocks so I'm not worried at all, of course I don't pull trailers like a moron racing through traffic either. Going to get it next Friday, I will post pics and what not when I get back from the trip.

A Deuce has been a dream of mine for a while, one of these days I will have 1 or more haha.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope no trailer breaks on that trailer. I've hauled 3/4ton pickups and mid 70's full size cars with big blocks so I'm not worried at all, of course I don't pull trailers like a moron racing through traffic either. Going to get it next Friday, I will post pics and what not when I get back from the trip.

A Deuce has been a dream of mine for a while, one of these days I will have 1 or more haha.
This thread will shed some light on why you should have trailer brakes ; Priorities. .
Plus most states require them on trailers over 3000 pounds , remember SAFETY FIRST.

buck

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting it home empty with your Yukon, but I'ld think twice about getting very far out of the yard with much of a load on that trailer without a tow vehicle designed to pull it. Nice trailer though.

Riftweaver

I just found this on trailer brake laws for South Dakota:

South Dakota 605-773-3265 www.sddot.com N/A 14' N/A N/A Required on all trailers.

The First N/A is for Width
The 14' is for total height
The Second N/A is for Total Vehicle Length
The Third N/A is for Total Trailer Length

The "required on all vehicles is for BRAKES!

According to this, all trailers in the state of SD have to be equipped with brakes.

sinarms

Thanks for the insight guys, I thought it was odd that it stated all trailers had to have brakes and I know there are hundreds sold here each year without brakes so I went digging. This is what I found

32-18-3. Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers exempt from all-wheel requirement. Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a maximum gross weight not exceeding three thousand pounds, and trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a maximum gross weight not exceeding seven thousand pounds manufactured or assembled prior to July 1, 1974, need not be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels, provided that:
(1) The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed forty percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and

(2) The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of §§ 32-18-8 and 32-18-9.

Source: SL 1967, ch 197, § 1 (c) (1); SL 1968, ch 178, § 3; SL 1974, ch 222, § 2; SL 1977, ch 262, § 2.

from here South Dakota Codified Laws

and from my research it looks like the m105 weighs in at 2650lbs so I should be fine. All I am doing is recovering it with this vehicle. I have no use for it in the near future so it will be sitting around looking pretty. And all safety measures will be taken.

sinarms

Made it back on Friday and the thing pulled like a dream. I took the front rack off and the canvas to get better mileage. I averaged 13.2mpg driving 80mph up to get it and 69mph on the way home on the interstate. It was 730 miles round trip, ebay distance is way off. I am very happy with the trailer. I added 12v lights on it yesterday so I have 2 sets of lights so I can hook it up to civilian or military still. I haven't decided what I will do to convert the brakes yet but for right now it will just be a sweet looking toy as I have nothing to haul in it for a long time. I will get more pics later on when it stops raining.

Attachments