• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just Bought a wrecker!

Droppedadeuce

So Ive had my deuce for about 3 years now, and always wanted a wrecker. Saw one on craigslist and decided to buy. 1973 M543a2 LDS Needs a lot of work, mostly the cab and some rust repair. Brakes do not work, Pretty sure the master is at fault. The big problem is electrical. The master power switch, and light switch were removed, ie cut out. The headlights and markers have been cut or disconnected. I tried to install a master power switch and I get the starter/lift pump to go on, but no air buzzer or gauges via the switch. However if I apply 24 volts to either one directly they work. IS this the wrong master power switch? It came with the truck. It's a dpst switch.

Thanks ahead of time.

Christian

catskillpond

Your going to have to take your time ours is a 1970 and 50% of the wiring was rotted check by the circuit breakers as far as the brakes pull the wheels and replace all the lines they are probably rotted at the mounting points i believe the master switch on wreckers have four pins. Good luck

just a note I helped a buddy out his had the protective control box it was 543a2 and the power wire for the box rotted out that came from the battery switch repaired that and most everything worked.

Last edited:

ThatXJGuy

Its been my experience with all 3 trucks I have bought that have been sitting that the master was empty and so were half of the lines but a good filling and bleeding made them perfect again. Two of the three trucks also required at least some line replacement but nothing else. Good luck with the truck, surely a good time ahead for ya.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the wrecker purchase. The good thing about a multifuel 5 ton is that the wiring is nearly the same as a deuce. You will need to carefully determine the number tags on the wires and insert the proper wires into the ignition switch. Follow the wiring diagram in the TM. Tape up the harness as best you can if you have frayed spots.

SteveKuhn

I suspect you found this out in The Islips, and the front-passenger tool box lid is bent, missing half of the driver's-rear outrigger. Starts with a hot wire. If so, I'm very glad it found a home. TPK and I spent a few hours there with it last weekend, but it came to pass that he needed to pass.. There is a lot of work to do in the truck but it should be both fun and rewarding.

If I'm right, you might want to link to the original thread in yours so that some additional context is available to help you out.

Steve

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Check the hydraulic hoses before you fill that large tank. And be prepared to take out a loan to do all of them.
On my M816 money pit the estimate to do all the hoses was north of 2K.
They are a real bit*h kitty to change out inside the control cab. If I remember correctly there is no access panel on the back of the old wreckers (the M936 has them) and unless you have three hands and are 3 feet tall getting to them will be a exercise in frustration.
Good luck and post pics,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks