• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my first m1008

eric_banks32

Like the tittle said, first m1008. It seems to run good and be in overall pretty good shape. I plan on daily driving it. What do you guys suggest I check, modify, or replace in order to keep my truck reliable? Also what kind of fuel mileage can I expect if I'm running 50-55 on stock tires. I will eventually add a 700r4 or maybe a nv4500 and larger tires.

ralbelt

I've had mine up to about 65-70 for short runs, would not run that speed for any length of time.
So far in the last year I have had mine I have done fluid changes,trans filter, flex plate,( was damaged when I got it),body work and paint, glow plugs, starter rebuild and a gear reduction starter for a spare, injector rebuilds. Next on the list is a spare alternator.
Good luck with yours and happy trucking.

Last edited:

91W350

Mine will pull 70 mph with no problem, maybe faster, but it sounds like it is screaming for relief. I normally do my best to stay under 55 and it gets 17 to 19 normally on the road, about 15 to 17 in town. I drive it kind of gentle and consider the engine noise to be sweet music. My previous truck made more engine noise and was better on fuel mileage. It also smoked a lot more when I put it to work. It also always started instantly, I just about could not bump the starter fast enough for it not to start, this one needs a few revolutions. Drive it, watch for leaks, check the fluids regularly. I usually take a lot of short trips until I get to know the truck. The nest part is enjoying the simple mechanics of it, what a great vehicle!

eric_banks32

Thanks for the reply's guys. I took my first jaunt around town in it today. So far I am very happy with it. It does have a little trouble starting when its cold but I figure new glow plugs will solve that. Only issue I can't solve is that I can't tell the first to second shift point and second to third seems to be at about 15 mph. I know its going into third because it will do 50-55 no problem. I also ran through the gears manually and everything seemed ok. Any ideas?

Phily

Mine will pull 70 mph with no problem, maybe faster, but it sounds like it is screaming for relief. I normally do my best to stay under 55 and it gets 17 to 19 normally on the road, about 15 to 17 in town. I drive it kind of gentle and consider the engine noise to be sweet music. My previous truck made more engine noise and was better on fuel mileage. It also smoked a lot more when I put it to work. It also always started instantly, I just about could not bump the starter fast enough for it not to start, this one needs a few revolutions. Drive it, watch for leaks, check the fluids regularly. I usually take a lot of short trips until I get to know the truck. The nest part is enjoying the simple mechanics of it, what a great vehicle!
Your previous was also a m1008 ?

91W350

The one I have now could be a M1028 as I have not pulled the front cover to check to see if it has a limited slip. Both of mine hit second gear so hard it seems almost violent. Third gear has always been pretty firm as well on both trucks. I think my old truck had a little more power as well. This one is great for my usage .

eric_banks32

I'm going to replace the relay and the glow plugs here soon. I'm still confused by the tranny. I'm gonna have to do some research. If it was a 700r4 I'd be good to go but i've never messed with the th400.

Phily

The one I have now could be a M1028 as I have not pulled the front cover to check to see if it has a limited slip. Both of mine hit second gear so hard it seems almost violent. Third gear has always been pretty firm as well on both trucks. I think my old truck had a little more power as well. This one is great for my usage .
So what do you think made your previous truck fire up so easy??? From my experience, I've never had any IDI engine fire up easy. DB2 tricks?