• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just brought home a Deuce. My First

lino

Hey All,

First of all, thanks for the answers to the few "pre deuce" questions I've posted.

And now, I'm happy to announce that I am no longer "pre deuce"

I found an '88 air force model in pretty nice shape, about 3 hours (in a car) from me. Picked it up today, and drove it 4+ hours home.
Pics tomorrow (too dark now).

Some notes about the vehicle and the pre trip inspection as well as post trip inspection

Hardtop
drop sides
Wo/W
dual circuits brakes.
14,765 miles / 609 hours
NDTs that have nubs still (on sides).
light tan paint with copious overspray. Interior is OD green. Were these trucks painted a common color? If so, what?

Lights checked out, pre-drive, but follow car reported flakey brake lights on way home.
While driving, headlights switched off at certain dimmer settings (the one that lit the gauges). I could not duplicate this behavior when I got home and it was parked - headlights at all dimmer settings.

Oil pressure gauge read zero on first startup, and subsequent. According to prev owner, gauge was suspect. - tough call (but wasn't about to drive home like that). A few attempts at checking wire and tapping gauge unsucessful. decided to pull stock sending unit and install cheap mechanical aftermarket for drive home (if there was oil pressure). During removal, the brass 45 deg adapter on sending unit broke off flush inside block. (no I was not ham fisting). Post break inspection showed crack already. So, while pain the backside, I'm glad it happened before drive, not during. Some cursing, an easy out, and an uncomfortable amount of torque got the broken fitting out and el-cheapo gauge was in quickly. Engine had normal oil pressure.

Quick look under had no significant leaks showing.

Around the block road check uneventful, except to show me the need to turn while moving. And that at 6'3" things are a little snug for me in cab.

Brakes. First push has pedal travel, stops in manner that seems ok for truck this size. Second push has very little travel, stops about same. A little unsure this is normal, but have no experience with air/hydro. I knew they were dual circuit (checked), so I decided to proceed (with great caution).

Inspection (for state tags) at nearby military surplus with inspection garage in back. Great guys, familiar with deuces, but not expert. Let me use air compressor to get tires from 25psi (from po beach duty) to 50. That took a hot minute.

4 hour drive home uneventful.
Temp gauge rose to not quite 200 during 55mph travel at hottest part of day 65F or so. drifted down slightly (less than 10 deg) as day cooled. Would have expected more consistent temps - will investigate, but not hot enough to stop trip home.
All gauges fogged up about 45 min into drive. Mild. Went away in another 30 min.
Last 45 min in dark, during city stop-and-go traffic is something I could have lived without. Brakes had consistent behavior, worked fine, always much less pedal motion on second push. Always kept 3 times more space in front than I felt I needed. Glad I brought ear plugs!

Once off freeway, faint odor of gear oil...

Was late getting home and had to return my tailgater (my dad, thanks Pop!) to his house nearby quickly, so post drive inspection was limited to 90 sec, in dark, on muddy driveway.

My nose doesn't lie. Gear oil appears to be coming from xfer case front output... err now on second thought (realizing divorced case), might have been input shaft...

small fuel leak off hose on left side. Appears to go to injector pump. Not certain - still familiarizing with diesel bits...

Well, that's all for now. I've attached a couple pics from the ad. Based on the current green growth, these pics are at least a year old.
Irma Front.jpgIrma rear-side.jpg

I'll post relevant details to Air Force registry tomorrow.
More thorough checkout (beginning with brakes) starts this weekend.

ciao
lino

dawico

Congrats on a sharp looking truck.

I don't have much deuce experience but for electrical issues always start simple with corrosion on the contact points. This seems to cause many simple problems.

Good luck and enjoy.

ageregunner

Good looking truck. The fogging gauges sometimes happens on my M35A2, and always happens on my Massey Ferguson farm tractor. Can't explain why this happens. Congratulations on your truck.

FloridaAKM

Congrats on a sharp looking truck & welcome aboard. I have a similar truck (1987 M35A2C) a year older that was driven 12 hours or so on a recovery home this past May with about the same results. Now comes the fun of learning all about how to everything on it. Now back to enjoying your truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks