• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just curious on an average price for a deuce at a government auction?

baranx4

I've always liked the dueces and am interested in possibly bobbing one for a father and son project. I live within 90 miles of where they are auctioned and am a bit curious of what an average conditioned one goes for. Also is it difficult to get set up to bid on them?

Thanks

Rich

O.D. Fever

I all depends on the location, timing, winch or no winch, number of trucks in the auction and yadayada. Its easy to to bid just sign on. Oh yeh EUC'S are an other story. A2's without winch $800-3500 depending, cherry ones more, dropsides more. Joe P.S. great father son project.:grin:

jluv1185

Easy to get set up with GL or GSA. I bought mine for under 1800 and drove her home(1971 m35a2 6400 miles). So far ive only bought a front brake line for her (10 bucks). Set a price limit in your head, and just start searching. There is alot of good trucks in your area. Good luck!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always liked the dueces and am interested in possibly bobbing one for a father and son project. I live within 90 miles of where they are auctioned and am a bit curious of what an average conditioned one goes for. Also is it difficult to get set up to bid on them?

Thanks

Rich
The West Texas Detachment of the Steel Soldiers welcomes the new guy(s) (father & Son) from the big booming metropolis of Dallas, PENNSYLVANIA aboard:D (BTW: I spent many summers near you at Lake Silkworth - fond memories, too) Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

You'll find TONS of info here on the site.... I recommend that you read, Read, READ!!!

Our truck's story is in the link below.....

Total Price to get her into my back yard $1,339.09 - - - Money WELL spent :jumpin: And, other than a low voltage problem with the alternator, I have NEVER heard the engine CRANK.... She simply "TURNS ON" and RUNS when I press the starter button. [thumbzup]

Hollar anytime.....
and.... W E L C O M E :!:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
baranx4,

Welcome to the "family values" obsession!!!

If you are interested in learning, get both GSA and GL auction bidding accounts and learn their rules. Both can be downloaded from their websites online.

Besides the auctions, the other thing to do is to spend time here on this board. After some time here, I am WAY better informed about prices, suppliers, problems, fixes and resources than I would have been if I was a maverick on my way through things.

Hope this helps and thanks for sharing the joy with your boy. He is a lucky lad to have you as his pa.

rick

paulfarber

Just keep watching and exploring on GL's site and the classifieds here, etc. and you will figure out what is a good price for you.
2cents
Gah?

The classifieds are 99% truck flippers selling GL trucks still with the auction markings still on them for $1000-$1500 markup and zero maintenance... or guys with one truck, seeing the prices that the flippers are asking, raise their prices because they think its the 'normal' price.

Get a truck of GL, you are close so towing can't be a dig deal and go over it yourself. You'll have less money into it and will have learned to service it.

NO ONE is putting a warranty on these trucks for the $1000+ markup. Would you pay $1k more for a car and buy it 'as is'?

dozer1

Gah?

The classifieds are 99% truck flippers selling GL trucks still with the auction markings still on them for $1000-$1500 markup and zero maintenance... or guys with one truck, seeing the prices that the flippers are asking, raise their prices because they think its the 'normal' price.

Get a truck of GL, you are close so towing can't be a dig deal and go over it yourself. You'll have less money into it and will have learned to service it.

NO ONE is putting a warranty on these trucks for the $1000+ markup. Would you pay $1k more for a car and buy it 'as is'?
Lots of good points here but I would add that I wouldnt buy a car that I couldnt start and take for a test drive.

x-ray

First Hi and welcome aboard - I'm relatively new as well, but have recovered several deuces so far. I would say that if you end up buying from GL in mechanicsburg / Ft Indiantown gap area, I would say your price can vary from as low as around $1000 (for a non-runner, no winch truck) to about $2500+ for a runner with winch. I picked up a fine "starts & runs" truck from Ft Indaintown Gap, for $2240 (included winch, bows and cover, had recent work done on it with new belts and hoses and clean fluids! It started immediately , needed only to top off oil and drove it back home 400 miles no problems, even stopped at Kublos on the way back.

GL seems to be in a mode where they do not list the running condition very well - they say "does not start, but driven onto lot" or "does not start" The problem is those generic descriptions, you can get something as simple as dead batteries, no fuel, etc. or it could be no brakes and blown engine.

I strongly recommend you preview the trucks you might bid on, look at several (be prepared to bid on several in case one gets too pricey) and best way to keep price low is to be lucky enough to bid when there are many deuces being auctioned at once - keeps the competitive bidding wars down.

Good luck - these do make good father - son projects.

baranx4

Thanks for the info guys,I plan on spending some time here reading. Are you able to register for the GSA off the GL auction link? Now that I've decided on a duece I have to start finding out more about them.

maynard83

I have found this site extremely helpful and the people great. There is no better asset than information as it is priceless.
I plan on buying a Bobbed M35A2 from someone who can do this so I will be paying a premium and I am ok with this as I have neither the expertise nor the time to make repairs & modifications if I purchase one of these from GL aside from the normal every day things such as checking fluid levels, brakes, etc. I want to take my boys camping and teach them life outside of TV, Play Station 3, X-Box360, overpriced birthday partys given by non-working Moms for their spoiled kids, and so on.
I wish I could just go to Marine Corps Logistics Base, Barstow, CA, pay 1-2K and feel relatively comfortable being able to get it out of there without a major incident.
I have read in this forum when something has gone bad for people and in the end, once you take into account all the time, effort, and money, spent I feel they would have been better off just taking the route I will be taking.
My point is that the best thing to do is to plan way ahead and to know your limitations physically, emotionally, realistically, and of course financially. I can afford to pay a little more whearas many of you here would say "What's the matter with you?" but it is my money, my choice, and I understand this, it also provides me with some recourse in the event something were to happen whereas GL and other auction sites do not have this option.
Everyone here has to make his or her decision based on what is based for you and not what some other guy wants you to do. Being honest is the hardest thing to do.

Last edited:

mattveeder

It sounds like a great idea. The duces at ft.meade usually go in the 1000-1500 range for decent shape and no add ons like winches. I have noticed thet if there are ten or more listed there the prices stay low. If there are only a few than its more. Further more remember that after winning an auction at govliquidation you will have to wait for an EUC certificate. This can take a long time before you pick up your truck. So just be patient and it does all come together.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would add that since you are fairly near the GL lot, definitely go and look at the trucks, check the fluids and start them if they will you. They may even let you use a truck that starts to jumpstart one that will not, depending on the GL rep there. Many don't care if you start them but may balk at moving them around.