• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just did a simple receiver hitch on my M1009.

IRWFO

I have been looking for a while to add a 2" receiver hitch on my Blazer. I finally found this one on eBay for the big sum of $10 new and $12 shipping. It fit perfectly under the pintail. I just have to hit the hardware store tomorrow for 2 longer bolts for the rear of the hitch. The rear bolts go right through the center of the square tubing. Then give it a shot of CARC. Other then that it was a very simple install. I also found a new military trailer side electric plug. I'm going to wire it with a few different civilian trailer plugs so now if someone asks if I can tow a trailer for them I just match up there connector with my home made adapter and plug it right into my military connector on the Blazer.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray it green and noone will know it wasn't stock. $10 new? I notice it's made in USA, from the sticker on the side. How do they make money selling that cheap?

Michael

You used to could buy that hitch from WalMart for not much more than $10. Maybe someone got one on clearance or bought it and didn't use it. Currently this hitch has a retail price of $51.00 and usually sales for $35.00.

BKinzey

I've wondered how hard it would be to pull the pintail off the mount and fab the 2" receiver in it's place. Then you could put the pintail on a adapter to fit the receiver. Gains ground clearance and looks more "authentic".

IRWFO

When I found the hitch on eBay the guy had a lot of them for sale. The hitch was new in the box but you could tell it was probably from the 80's by the art work on it. Even if you could find it for $35 I still think it's a good deal.
Yes I had to drill 4 half inch holes.

AJMBLAZER

Looks good but just remember that hitch is only rated for whatever you can tow with the bumper.

I thought about replacing the pintle hitch with a pintle with the lower jaw as a 2" ball but decided against it since the hitch is about 3' in the air on my truck. Most civy trailers would be dragging their ends with the tongue up that high.

I ended up just making a hitch with my father in law.

CycleJay

I have been looking for a while to add a 2" receiver hitch on my Blazer. I finally found this one on eBay for the big sum of $10 new and $12 shipping. It fit perfectly under the pintail. I just have to hit the hardware store tomorrow for 2 longer bolts for the rear of the hitch. The rear bolts go right through the center of the square tubing. Then give it a shot of CARC. Other then that it was a very simple install. I also found a new military trailer side electric plug. I'm going to wire it with a few different civilian trailer plugs so now if someone asks if I can tow a trailer for them I just match up there connector with my home made adapter and plug it right into my military connector on the Blazer.
Hello IRWFO,

That looks so simple it borders on beautiful.
Anyway, one question or two It looks like it to me from the photo.
But, is that hitch bolted into the frame, the bumper, or bumper support?

Also, can you post pictures and details when you make and wire up that home made adapter?
So I and/or others can try to do the same? That is, if it would be safe for the M1009 electrical system.

K9Vic

Wow aua you do realize this topic is 5 years old and the OP last posted on SS 2 years ago on 03-28-2010. I doubt the OP will reply to a topic that is 5 years old when they have not posted on SS in two years.

This is no safer then the pintle that is above it, if you want a receiver do it right with the frame mounted one. You can clearly see it is bolted to the bumper bracket that is for the pintle. Not safe at all in my opinion.

CycleJay

Hello K9Vic,

Thanks for the information. When I read that post, I did not look at the date.
I just followed it from a post in a new thread.

But you answered the question I had for him. Thank you.
I was not sure from the photo if it was bolted to the frame or not.

So I will just use one of the typical hitches like all you other guys do.

Old thread or not, it's still helpful. I just put the same hitch on my m1008. Two of the pintle hitch bolts go through it and the other two go through the thick plate on the step bumper. The way the step bumpers are mounted to the pickups, I'd have to pull something extremely heavy to have any issues.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Beware of heavy loads. I hooked up a Dingo Trailer to my 1028 with the same 2" stock receiver. I went 20 miles and the center of the bumper pulled down. It took me 2 days to get it back to original.

I then installed a full size weight rated trailer hitch.