• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just discovered New Air dryer not working and Compressor runs non stop on M923A2

Ok, so I have not drove the truck much in the past 6 months and actually installed a new air dryer after the old one froze up last March driving it back from auction.

Installed new air dryer and was puzzled because it would not sneeze after first starting the truck and it building to 120 PSI like it did with the original air dryer...but would sneeze every 15 seconds like clockwork once the truck started moving above 20 MPH...or so I thought(more on that in a minute).

I ended up replacing the compressor not long after because it would not build air pressure within about two months of me replacing the air dryer..which I assumed was working,but not working entirely correctly.

Fast forward to last week and a friend tells me that the sneezing sound that I hear every 15 seconds while driving is the purge valve releasing air and not the dryer sneezing. That makes sense because it is a slower type hissing sound release of air vs the typical loud quick pops of air I hear on OTR trucks. He says the dryer is not doing anything at all and that the compressor is also running non stop which I already suspected even though the gauges show 120...and they are accurate because we checked the tanks with a presure sensor months ago. not sure of the wet tank though. He was afraid to dive into why it's not working because of his unfamiliarity with military vehicles and air systems in general.

Please help lol.

sd39u

Change the air dryer out. Suprman has the one you need for sale in the classifieds. He's very good to deal with.

Eric

MtnSnow

No need to replace the drier.( the OP says it was already replaced).. I would start with replacing the PPV. Then move onto the governor. Then check the unloader on the compressor.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I wonder if your ppv is stuck then no air to governor and no air to compressor unloader from governor to stop making pressure and the same unloader air feed tells the air dryer to vent the expello valve on the bottom to dump moisture.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to replace the drier.( the OP says it was already replaced).. I would start with replacing the PPV. Then move onto the governor. Then check the unloader on the compressor.
This. I had mine do the same thing. It was the PPV.

I wonder if your ppv is stuck then no air to governor and no air to compressor unloader from governor to stop making pressure and the same unloader air feed tells the air dryer to vent the expello valve on the bottom to dump moisture.
An OTR trucker mentioned this to me the other day and I didn't know if he really new what he was talking about, but after you and two other posters mentioning the PPV...I think it's time to change it out now.

Bandit02

When my PPV stuck closed on me it built air to 150 psi and blew off at the compressor.

I think it's the governor, like mentioned above. The governor also sends pressure to the dryer so it can purge when the compressor cuts out.

So, I just got the PPV replaced today and the Air dryer still didn't sneeze after building up to 120PSI and setting there running for another 10 mins afterwards.

Also, now the ABS lights is on so I am afraid to take it out to see if the air dyer will cycle once I get out on the road.

I did put it in drive and the brakes seemed to be normal, but am unsure of what to do now with the ABS light staying on and am hesitant to take it out on the road. That light has never been on until after replacing the valve and starting the truck.

Not sure if its a coincidence or what as it seems like every time I replace a part a new issue arises.

Bandit02

Do you have air pressure from the governor with the purge line off? With 125 PSI the governor should send air to the unloader and the purge line on the dryer.

Do you have air pressure from the governor with the purge line off? With 125 PSI the governor should send air to the unloader and the purge line on the dryer.

Yes, I have pressure and it's a new Governor.

I'm going to let someone else sort out the air dryer issue...as this was my last shot at trying to get the air dryer to work. I am more concerned with the ABS light coming on after installing the new PPV valve now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks