• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a 1994 MEP-802a Has a few issues..

Innovator

Hello,

I just got one that was supposed to have 24 hours on it, non reset. But, after running it for a while, I started to see some coolant leak from what seemed to be the top of the water pump..Also, the radiator would only heat up on the side closest to the hoses. Temp, with no load was about 200.. When I put a 2000 watt load on it, some smoke was consistently coming out of the exhaust. It also seems to drink fuel at a rapid rate. I used the external fuel pump to test it, and it went through a quart in few minutes..

The guy I bought it from said he will refund my money...Think I should just take him up on it?

Rick

jamawieb

The temperature you are reading is normal, 190-205 is normal operating temp. If the unit truly has 24 hours, then more than likely it has not been loaded. If these generators are not loaded, they will build carbon in the exhaust system. If your the first to put a load on it, then you will see excess smoke while the excess carbon is burned off. This will slow after it's been loaded for a while.
On the statement of fuel consumption. If you're using the aux port, I believe the pump pulls diesel in from the aux source and pumps it into the main tank. So basically all you were doing was pumping fuel from your quart container and pumping it into the main tank of the generator.
The coolant leak does stink and I would at least have that fixed by the seller.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what a carboned up unit looks like when you first try to load it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cI1l77fbg

The generator in the video after cleaning up and blowing out runs great and will pull a full load again.

These generators are a little different. If you haven't done so you need to download and read the operator manual. The coolant leak is the real problem you have. The rest are operational issues.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coolant leak may by from the rubber cap on the unused nipple on the water pump.
My 1997 802 leaked there when I first got it. Found the rubber cap had dried out and cracked. Easy fix.
See TM 9-2815-252-24P Figure 3 (Cooling System) item 11

robertsears1

I replaced the water pump on our 1972 John Deere 2030 tractor a few years ago with a knockoff copy that had two extra ports blocked with rubber caps. They will last around two years before they start to crack and leak.

Robert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks