• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a Deuce from GL...

Vendetta

I just won a GL auction for a deuce but the auction says that it doesn't come with gauges. Most of them listed didn't actually... is there a reason for this or am I just lucky and got one that didn't come with them? :neutral:

Anyway, in order to drive it away would I need to have gauges to install there or can I drive it without them? I know... I'd prefer to have them but I'm not sure I can find a set and have them delivered by the time I have to pick it up. Also, since I'm short on time, if I do need gauges in order for it to run can they be generic ones from the auto parts store? Thanks guys.

velociT

I wouldn't drive one you have no history with, without gauges.

You can also almost count on the oil being garbage and brakes being questionable. Might want to trailer it.

Silverback

if this is your first then you have more time than you think. GL has been introduced to the scare on radiooactive gauges, therefore your truck has no gauges, you might irradiate yourself, causing three headed babies or even worse, congressmen.

Seriously though, you will need at the least an oil pressure gauge and ..a speedometer, the other gauges will help you decide if you have a problem.
HTH, Dan.

Heavysteven

The problems I see with no gauges are:
Can't tell air pressure, no air pressure no power brakes possible
Can't tell oil pressure, no oil pressure engine blows possible
Can't see tach, over rev engine possible
Can't tell temp, overheat engine possible

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search for, "radioactive gauges". plenty to read

mistaken1

I guess I am lucky to have won one before the radioactive gauge issue came to light although I may end up spawning a congressman. LOL

Congratulations on the win but I could not see the pictures of your new prize.

Last edited:

Vendetta

may have jumped the gun a little :(

I haven't picked her up yet... just won the auction so no pics as of yet. I thought I did a good thing but I may end up having buyer's remorse. :(

I was reading another post and someone had asked if anyone saw that someone had bought a non-running Deuce for X amt (and even put the :shock: face) so that got me to thinking which in turn made me a little :cookoo: which got me to the :doh: moment right before I started aua .

Anyway, before I bid I thought I researched it enough or at least read the auction well enough to look for any "gotcha's". I looked back at the auction and it didn't state that it didn't run but I may not know what to look for so I may have to end up finding someone to trailer it home for me anyway. :(

How can you tell if they run or not if it doesn't say... or are you just supposed to assume that they do not unless they specify that it does?

stumps

Let's not forget that the air pressure gauge is plumbed directly to the air supply. If they removed it you won't be able to build air pressure for your brakes, or to turn off the low air pressure alarm.

-Chuck

stumps

I haven't picked her up yet... just won the auction so no pics as of yet. I thought I did a good thing but I may end up having buyer's remorse. :(

I was reading another post and someone had asked if anyone saw that someone had bought a non-running Deuce for X amt (and even put the :shock: face) so that got me to thinking which in turn made me a little :cookoo: which got me to the :doh: moment right before I started aua .

Anyway, before I bid I thought I researched it enough or at least read the auction well enough to look for any "gotcha's". I looked back at the auction and it didn't state that it didn't run but I may not know what to look for so I may have to end up finding someone to trailer it home for me anyway. :(

How can you tell if they run or not if it doesn't say... or are you just supposed to assume that they do not unless they specify that it does?
GL very strongly encourages you to inspect before you buy. During that inspection is when you should be able to find if your truck has gauges, or runs.

I had one of the worst cases of buyers remorse right after I bought my truck. It extended up until I drove her into my driveway and parked.

Buying a deuce is always a good thing.... Right?

-Chuck

Vendetta

I hope so.... I really want one but was hoping to get her for a good deal or at least know what I paid for it in runniong condition. Now I'm wondering what all has to be done to get her up and running and how much more $ it will take to do so. I was hoping to go through GL to avoid ebay prices but now I'm wondering if it may have been better to buy a running one off of ebay or another member rather than deal with GL. I would have loved to preview all of them but I'm in Dallas and the auction was in San Antonio so previewing was kind-of out of the question... I hate "living and learning" it happens too often (to me anyway) and it costs too **** much. ;-)

Looking back at it I thought that I remember seeing the one I won coming with more (top, tarp, running...) but I guess I looked at so many they all ran together a little. Man I really hope this thing comes with a top... my luck it will be raining when I pick it up. :) I could have swore I saw them in the pics or listing. Now that the buying buzz has wore off it does look a little rougher than I remembered before I bid on it but even now I still wouldn't kick her out of bed. :mrgreen:

BTW, this is the link to it...
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3776688&categoryId=1004

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume that it was a San Antonio vehicle. I live just north of there and the vehicles up for auction were rough. Only one had gauges. I would not plan on driving it. Expect the worse, hope for the best.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were nice enough to leave the dash panel, thats good. From my inexperienced experience, I'd say the odds of it running are pretty decent. I've looked at a few auctions and have had real good luck picking runners. I will add this though, comparing buying from ebay and GL is aiken to comparing fire and ice.

Quote from John Ruskin that I live by;

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

mistaken1

Save all of the pictures from GL and take them with you when you go to recover.

It looks like a nice truck, some new tires, new fiberglass side rails and troop seats. The wheel chock is chained to the vehicle. The paint looks fresh. I am willing to bet you will find it in reasonably good shape.

Vendetta

I assume that it was a San Antonio vehicle. I live just north of there and the vehicles up for auction were rough. Only one had gauges. I would not plan on driving it. Expect the worse, hope for the best.
Crap... Yes it was... I was reading other posts involving auctions in other states and some ppl had went to preview vehicles and made notes of their conditions. I don't suppose anyone here did that? If so I'd appreciate any info...

(actually yours is the one I'm referencing Bob H and thx for posting pics btw)

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of pics.............
Who won that one? I'm confused? It went way higher than the others. :cookoo:

Crap... Yes it was... I was reading other posts involving auctions in other states and some ppl had went to preview vehicles and made notes of their conditions. I don't suppose anyone here did that? If so I'd appreciate any info...
Anyway.... I won two on that lot, generally theres a "what did you win" thread every so often. Auction wins 11/11/2010 My sources said most trucks looked mechanically sound, but my two wouldnt start due to dead batteries. All gauges were pulled because of the radium but thats it. You will need to get the deuce shipped in one form or another. Whether it be directly to your place or off the GL lot and fixed up to drive home (which is not recommended due to safety, time, and etc). Give me a PM, we might be able to help each other out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks