• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a ticket need help!

emr

How could one register commercial and not think they need to follow all the rules that go with that? U learned a lesson , follow the thread that says re register to the low weight, and appoligise, it was your fault....Randy

scooter01922

FWIW i wouldn't go with the 18K figure, thats not really correct. For the truck to hold its military rating for over the road use you would be safer in the 23.5-24 K range (depends on your truck). 18 K would be the correct total weight for offroad use. I'm not even gonna touch the legal aspect of this one as i don't live anywhere close to this guy and as such have no idea what the laws are in his state.

kc5mzd

I hate the DMV. :evil: Here is a link to the NC title manual.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/titlemanual/download/NCTitleManual.pdf

The exceptions that I thought I remembered is limited. It looks like a Deuce will have to be reclassified as an RV to be exempt.

I suggest all NC members rally any try to get a law passed that exempts ex-MVs.

I looked up in the manual. I think your best bet is to register it for 25,000. It looks like your state does strange things with the weight of a trailer. From what I could tell you have to add the weight of the trailer cargo to the weight of the truck or something like that.
From what I could tell if you registered your truck for 25,000 you would be exempt. I don't think I would ever haul more because the wording seems to suggest if it ever weights 26,000 or more with 3 axles it will require fuel tax registration. The 26,000 pounds regardless of weight is very vague Here it the text-

SECTION 2
Chapter 3 – Page 8 TRUCKS – PRIVATE

1.7 HIGHWAY FUEL TAX REGISTRATION
An application for highway fuel tax registration is required for:
1. 2-axle vehicle with a gross weight or registered gross vehicle weight over 26,000 pounds.
2. 3 axle vehicle with 26,000 pounds or more regardless of weight, or
3. Vehicle used in combination when the weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds.

C

cmvpa

if you were a cmvpa member then you would be exempt. we are a usdot registered non profit that makes you exempt from fuel tax.

usdot1862438

jblack6527

Sounds to me like the reason he got you was the 30,000# weight. Bump that back down to 26,000 pounds, and you shouldn't have any more problems. By tagging it for that much, you put yourself into commercial territory, and also CDL territory.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
KC5MZD, im glad you looked up the regs. for the NC law , a couple other guys seem to know NC law well not being from here.

Antique tags guys , dont pay more for weigheted like the big trucks .

BEASTMASTER

up here in ma. if you got 6 wheels you are a comm. vehicle. and have comm. plates. knew of a guy in a ford van that had comm. plates and carried ladders on his roof. dot weighed him at 8k lds. 3k lds. over his reg. weight, no name and gvw on the door. now that guy worked all week for nothing. the only thing they've got on me about is not having enough flashing lights on my truck while plowing. got eight strobes on it now...can you see me now?????

Sumoman

I JUST got a $100.00 civil ticket from my local highway patrol here in wilmington nc i guess he was part of the dot. the ticket was for not having a fuel tax decal displayed, he said since i have 3 axles the truck is considered commercial,i have a weighted tag on the truck. The truck is tagged for 30000lbs just so there would be no way for them to give me a overweight ticket. i said that they should have told me about the fuel decal when i went to get my tags at the dmv a few weeks ago! anyone know the law on this and these mv? by the way he loved the deuce!
I would call the judge first. Ask them about the TAGS and explain the MV thing. A commercial vehicle is often defined as one doing commercial things, not a POV doing private business. More then likely the local judge will throw it out and you can change the plates if needed.

I would also add as LEO I would never cite for something like that, sounds like a turd:-D

ncduece

i ask the person at the dmv if i could put antique tags on it. then i said i was going to be hauling a trailer. she said yo u have to have the weighted tags if your going to be hauling or towing things with the truck. its a private truck just for my personal use. i just put the heavy weight on because around here they have been going nuts ticketing people towing boats etc. i would have allplied for the fuel sticker when i got the tag if they would have just told me i feel like the dmv handed me the tag they should have told me what else i needed to conform, the tag says commercial permanent on it, this is my first large truck

pevrs114

I'm a regular street cop not a truck-hunter, and it's been 10 years since I've lived in NC, but I thought IFTA stickers were just for interstate rigs? Haven't you already paid the fuel tax in NC when you purchased the fuel?

Maybe I just don't understand the IFTA fuel tax decals. I thought you had to have one for any state which you were going to operate commercially, I didn't realize it included the home state as well.

A small hint for other NC'ers looking to run weighted/commercial plates - radar detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles in NC.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think he's talking about IFTA stickers. That's only for trucks with apportioned tags. I think what he's talking about is a NC fuel sticker.

What I did here in TN to be able to use the truck like I want is to run farm tags. They are weighted tags and farm vehicles are exempt from federal CDL requirements even if you go above 26,000lbs. Don't know if you have that option in NC or not.

venom8343

That cop is full of ****!!! I work for D.O.T. here in MS and if the vehicle is not used for commercial use you dont have to have **** but a regular tag and some insurance. I would definatly take that to court!!

KI4GSN

In NC:

1) Weighted tags DO NOT automatically mean the truck is commerical. My F350 has 20k weighted tags on it, it's not commercial.

2) That being said, 26000 is the cutoff as far as weight is concerned. One pound over that and you'll need a CDL, REGARDLESS of if it's commercial or not. (Don't want to get started on the CDL thing again, not trying to)

3) Most people that work at license plate offices are contractors, and usually don't know too much beyond a 4 door sedan.

My advice is spend a day on the phone with the SHP. You'll get the runaround, but you will eventually find the information you want, just have an idea what information you're looking for before you call. Their website is also helpful. Look for the powerpoints on various subjects, there are several (they actually aren't too hard to understand either).

tm america

ya i,d go to court on that one bring pics of your truck tell them what you're using it for they might feel sorry for you cuz you plated it wrong whenever you have a regular plate you must follow regular laws and do dot .if you have a rv or antique plate there are exceptions. point is they got you . change to a antique plate so you wont have that problem again.

bottleworks

IIRC, In NC, an antique plate doesn't exempt you from anything like it does in other states.
You have to have a weighted plate of 14K (or more) if you are registering an M35 in NC (and be legal).

KI4GSN, don't forget that you can get a non-commercial Class B for 26K+.

lelanddunne

if i'm not mistaking a class c license on your dirvers license is only rated for a weighted tag no more then 27000 lbs or so. above that the weight would shove it into a class (b)or (a) license which would take a cdl... i cant remember where it was but look it up on the nc dot web page...

lelanddunne

heres the website , it looks like you were ok (except )that you had your plate for 30k ....$100 is cheap compared to if you were loaded to your limit and they weighted you. the fine would be $1.00 a pound over the weight limit....... NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 1

If you are 18 years of age or older you may apply for an original North Carolina driver license. Under North Carolina's classified license system most drivers need only a Class C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.
Class A:Required to operate any combination of vehicles exempt from commercial driver license (CDL) requirements with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds. Also required for operating any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, if the vehicle being towed has a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds. Class B:Required to operate any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more that is exempt from CDL requirements, and any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. Class C:Required to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds that is exempt from CDL requirements and is not towing a vehicle with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds. Most drivers need only a Regular C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.