• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got home with my M116A3

number9

14) Outer leg, lead screw and inner leg.

15) I washed the lead screw down with brake cleaner and a brush to make working on it cleaner.

16) This washer welded to the bottom of the lead screw is what "tops out" and keeps the screw from threading out of the inner leg when you crank the trailer to the highest position. This will have to come off later.

I didn't take any pics of the shortening process because there was grinding dust everywhere and I didn't want to get that crap in my camera.

Attachments

number9

17) I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to perform the surgery. I cut 3" off the outer leg, inner leg and lead screw.

18 ) You will need to drill new holes in the inner leg for the lead screw retaining pins. I used the piece I cut off as a guide and ran a transfer punch through the holes and made the punch marks to drill the new holes.

19) I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel to grind the weld down on the lead screw washer enough so I could drive it off with a hammer and punch.

20) I then used the angle grinder to grind down about 3/16" of the end of the lead screw so I can weld the washer back on it. Since I still haven't got 220 ran in my garage yet I'll have to take this to work Monday and get someone to weld it up for me. A friend who owns an electrical company was supposed to come over a couple weeks ago and help me run the 220. I need to call that rascal again.

21) Here's the finished product mocked up. I need to test it out and see if it works with the wifes truck. I may need to take another inch or two off it.

At this point, it should allow the trailer to crank down to 19" and up as far as 30" if my math is right. Stock I measured 22" lowest and 36" highest. Whatever you cut out of the legs will allow it to lower by that much - BUT, will reduce the highest crank height by twice that amount because you are cutting X amount off the inner leg AND the lead screw.

When I get the lead screw welded I may take pics of the re-assembly process. It's pretty straight forward I think though. Just don't forget to lube every thing back up real good when you put it all back together.

Attachments

Last edited:

number9

Got everything all put back together today on the landing gear. It now cranks down to 18 1/2" and up to 30". Worked out real nice and you can't tell it was even done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks