• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got M916A3

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why the heck is Uncle getting rid of these trucks???
So, seems that a lot of the requirements for the M916 is being replaced by the M1088, even if we don't agree with it, that appears to be the word on the street. The M915s are staying, but more with the NG than AD. (especially the M915A5s which were/are initially fielded only to the NG).

Thanks for the tire info, I've been wondering what they were putting on these so different than the old ones.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to see pics of the inside of this truck or anyone’s truck, if possible. I’m used to the 939A2’s and that all I have experience with. I’d like to see what 18 years does to the inside of a military rig.

Thanks.

DirTDel

Just picked up two M926A3’s from the Dugway proving grounds in Utah for our fire Dept. Drove them home to Washington. One had 525 miles, the other one had 700 some miles on it when we picked them up Thursday. All they had ever done wad was drive around the parking lot once a month. The one with fewer miles never even has had a trailer hooked to the fifth wheel.

They will get 2,500 gallon water tanks mounted on them for our fire Dept. One will get an existing tank coming off of a 923. Going to put a smaller tank back on the 923.

We already have two 916’s that we’ve converted to water tenders with 2500 gallon tanks.

EasternEmpire

Yours were good looking trucks. I was there the same day picking up 8 M915A3s and 3 M916A3s in a joint recovery between the states of Idaho and Nevada - I believe we spoke just outside the gate. I hope your trip home was as uneventful as ours was.

M915A3-M916A3_Recovery1_UTTR_20171116.jpgM915A3-M916A3_Recovery2_UTTR_20171116.jpgM915A3-M916A3_Recovery3_UTTR_20171116.jpgM915A3-M916A3_Recovery4_UTTR_20171116.jpg

The three M916A3s went to rangeland fire protection associations in south central and southwestern Idaho; 2 M915A3s went to Nevada Division of Forestry; 3 M915A3s went to Idaho Department of Lands; 2 M915A3s went to rural fire districts in south central and south eastern Idaho; and the final M915A3 went to the State of Idaho Fire Services Technology program to tow their training trailer. Two more M915A3s will be picked up next week by the South Idaho Timber Protective Association.

Out of our 11 trucks the high mileage truck was an M915A3 with 6k and the low was a M916A3 with 262. The guys at that facility were great to work with as I'm sure you would agree. I've picked up trucks at a number of locations, but never had them all started and warmed up for us when we arrive. This was the smoothest recovery operation I have ever experienced. :^D

DirTDel

This was the first time I’ve personally picked up a truck. Yes I was very impressed with how smoothly and quickly things went.

yeah, we talked outside the gate. Took your advice and went west to Wendover. Batteries were the only problem we had with our two trucks. Shut one off in Wendover to fuel it. Wouldn’t start again. Unsuccessful jumping it. Had to put new batteries in it. Then it started right up. Didn’t shut the other one down to refuel. Got to Nampa, ID that night. The second truck wouldn’t restart after shutting it down. But we were able to jump it the next morning. Got back about 1:20 Friday afternoon.

We we will definitely want to bump up the governed speed from 58 mph!

EasternEmpire

Some of the M915A3 tractor trucks IDL recovered from the Utah Testing and Training Range last November are entering service supporting wildland and structural fire suppression. I thought I would share some photos.

IDL kept three of the tractors of our use. Two will be based out of the fire cache in Coeur d'Alene and the third out of Idaho Falls.
M915A3s_IDL.jpg

The photo of all three trucks was taken during transport of the CDA trucks north. The van semitrailer is a mobile locomotive repair shop that will be converted to support wildland fire helitack operations out of IDL's Craigmont office.
IDL_M915A3sEnroute2CDA.jpgM915A3_IDL-CDAa.jpgM915A3_IDL-CDAb.jpgM915A3_IDL-EISa.jpgM915A3_IDL-EISb.jpg

One M915A3 was assigned to the Fire Services Technology program at the College of Eastern Idaho which provides training and certifications for firefighters throughout Idaho. It will be used to transport the program's two training trailers. The trailer pictured is an advanced training trailer acquired recently from Tooele Army Depot.
M915A3_CEI-FSTa.jpgM915A3_CEI-FSTb.jpgCEI-FST_TrainingTrailer.jpg

Lastly, the South Idaho Timber Protection Association has their two M915A3s in service, one remaining a tractor and the other being converted to a water tender. Over the past three years, SITPA has converted their entire heavy truck fleet over to M915A3s and M916A3s. They currently operate 3 M915A3s and two M916A3s with one of each converted to a water tender. Their M916A3s came out the Sierra Army Depot along with the XM870A1 lowboy trailer. The D5N dozer is former Navy and came out of Barstow. Their first M915A3, the one hauling the one fresh from paint, came out of San Antonio.
M915A3s_SITPA.jpgM916A3-M915A3_SITPA.jpgM916A3-XM870A1_CatD5Na.jpgM916A3-XM870A1_CatD5Nb.jpg

Apologies to the purists for covering up the camo, but stealth is not part of these trucks missions now.

:^)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks