• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got my M1009, what a beast! Lots to learn!!

Skinny

Flushing with fresh fluid will not break up anything inside the trans. It is the heavy detergent the dealer sells as a 'flush' will do the damage you describe. I've performed many flushes on old rigs and even personal cars without ill effect if

A) the correct fluid is used
B) no detergents used before flush
C) no friction additives added after

There is alot of old fluid in the converter which a flush quickly swaps out. A flush is not going to hurt a trans anymore than a drain and fill, it just performs it faster. You can D and F a trans three or four times to get the same effect but a flush machine does it faster. One thing I would highly recommend is changing your filter as the TurboHydramatic uses a cotton filter which requires servicing unlike alot of metal mesh screens on a modern trans which does not require dropping the pan.

lolercaust

Ill agree with half of what you said, but unless the fluid your useing is different then all the others there all filled with detergent just about. Your right about the drian and fill thats harmless and doing it a few times acheves the same result as a flush, D&F is i think 60% affective the first time and subsecent D&F work better. But i dissagree about the flush machines, if the tranny is fine and needs fluid changed a flusher is great. If the tranny is old and worn out the flush machines can and will blow out debre and could couse it to loss to much presure for it to function. Now OK if its taken care of over the years then it probly wont be a problem, i just know what iv been toute and what iv seen. True car shops do push there snake oil trash and thouse fix's in a bottle.

RiceBurnerBrian

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the tranny flush. Well I took it off roading just to test out the 4 wheel drive high and low and the results were fantastic. It climbed hills without a hiccup and shifted extremely fluid. I checked my fluid and it is still a bright red and does not smell burnt at all, in fact it looks very fresh.

But just to make sure, I will drain and fill in a few weeks with a new filter of course. I will not be using the power flush method just for piece of mind.

Skinny

I wasn't aware of the fluid already having additives in it. The BG product I used had seperate bottles of detergents and additives. I would be very cautious with some off branded universal magic ATF.

Congrats on a great truck.
I have been running mine without an a/c, and know that we are hotter here in the IE than your are in SD.
Try driving without it for the next year. I bet you won't even miss it.
It's supposed to be 107F here tomorrow, but the wing windows and floor vents work great.

Just mu humble opinion.

Cool Rack too.

RiceBurnerBrian

Congrats on a great truck.
I have been running mine without an a/c, and know that we are hotter here in the IE than your are in SD.
Try driving without it for the next year. I bet you won't even miss it.
It's supposed to be 107F here tomorrow, but the wing windows and floor vents work great.

Just mu humble opinion.

Cool Rack too.
Thanks for the compliment on the rack, the main reason I bought this CUCV was because it was already all fixed up from the National Guard with everything you see. I do want to tint the windows though but i am worried about visibility when I decide to take it off roading. What percent tint do you have on the back 3 and sides?

As for the A/C, I'm still wanting to install it regardless and I am leaning towards the Classic Air under dash system, seems reasonable for the price with brand new components. I currently do not have the heater core installed since my CUCV did not come with it when I got it.

What percent tint do you have on the back 3 and sides?
I went with Limo dark in the back and medium on the driver and pax doors.
I haven't had any problem with viz even at night. Nice and dark on the outside but the windows are big enough to offer a fishbowl view from the inside.

I wanted to go as dark as possible to keep the heat down.
I usually hunt from this rig out in the Mojave, so you can imagine how warm it can be.

Cletus resized.jpgCletus resized 2.jpg

RiceBurnerBrian

Thanks for the info on the tint, I can't wait to work on my CUCV this weekend! I know this project will keep me going until I'm satisfied with it.

First I have to decide on what I need to do first... maintenance items first then comfort items later on...

K9Vic

First I have to decide on what I need to do first... maintenance items first then comfort items later on...
I highly suggest taking care of maintenance items first, that is more important. When ever I get these or any older square body Chevy that is the first on my list. It can look like a brand new truck, but if it does not run and/or drive it is not very useful. So take care of all the mechanical first.

RiceBurnerBrian

Thanks for the suggestions and that is what I am doing now, just the maintenance aspect of the truck first.

Now I'm searching here on how to convert the rear manual window to a power version, so far no luck on using the stock CUCV door. It looks like I might have to go junkyard hunting for donor rear door with all the power window stuff in working order.

Firefighter2239

I just had a wheel bearing go out in my cucv m1009 and I was wondering if the wheel bearing from the civilian k-5 blazer will work. If not can anybody please tell me where I can get the right materials.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009 is the same as the 1984 Chevy K5.

If all esle fails, download the FREE technical manuals along with the parts mauals. All the GM part numbers are listed. Any parts house should be able to look them up.

MarcusOReallyus

I appreciate the help and I hope this isn't an ignorant question, but my m1009 is a 1986, will the '84 still work with it?

The military units are all 84s, regardless of the year of manufacture. To standardize the parts, the military didn't allow the usual model year changes that the civilian models have.

So, yours may have been made in 86, but as far as parts go, it's an 84.

Firefighter2239

Awsome, I appreciate all of the help. I have had the truck about a year now and I really enjoy it. With all the rain western NC is getting right now there is no shortage of rain lately. Want to get her back on the road asap.

lolercaust

Not to jump back a few posts but K9Vic is right the only thing that matters is that the truck runs, drives and is road safe, once you get it squared away then do what you do. dont be afriad to ripe in to that truck it's as simple as it gets reson being, i wanted to know what was in the dash...so i tore it apart, did'nt find any thing interensting but now i KNOW whats in there. Pulling it apart, cleaning it and putin it back together is good for the truck and good for learning.

bigginstactical

As far as tinting goes here are a few items I recommend. Make your life way easier and a better job too. If your worried about visibility when driving I would go with 35% on your front windows and 20% on the rest. It will be pretty dark in back and legal in most states up front. Personally I do 20% on everything but with 35 you can see really well. for reference most vehicles that come with tinted glass for the rear is really close to 20. Also buy a decent pump sprayer and add a big blob of johnsons baby shampoo to each batch of water. Water is your friend, use a ton. As you peel the backing be hosing the tint down(helps with static which attracts dust.) Clean the windows with a razer and glass cleaner, then clean them again.... then hose the window down and squeegee, and hose it again to put the tint on. At the very least buy the blue squeegee. Gets all the bubbles out and is an amazing tool. When you get to the tint part if you have any questions feel free to ask! good luck! I also just picked up my first M1009 CUCV yesterday! :)

**** removed ebay links ****

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks